BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 2:43:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen one.  It was a new low!
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if it's recent production.  I did have a Century AR about 3-4yrs ago.  It was an old A1 surplus parts kit, built on a cast Oly lower that Century had their own name on, post-ban of course by grinding off the bayonet lug and permanently fixing a muzzle brake on the end.  The whole thing was refinished in what appeared to be Hi-temp BBQ paint.  It would seem pretty hard to screw-up building an AR, so it prabably can only be so bad.  Of course we're talking Century here.  If anybody could screw-up an AR build, it'd be them.  

I never shot it.  I bought it as a beater, but ran across a great deal on something else and used it as trade.  I saw an ad for newer production ones, and it was an A2 variety.  I'd really want to know more about the parts origin before buying one sight unseen.

Ross
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If it ain't Colt, Bushmaster or Armalite, I don't want it.  PERIOD!
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Somebody has to make Hesse look good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
When I got out of the police academy in 1997, I bought one of these new at a gun show for $475.  The gun was basically a Colt SP1 built onto an Olympic Arms lower that was stamped Century Arms.  All the parts in it were surplus Colt.  It was an A1 gun with the bayonet lug cut off and a pseudo muzzle brake welded onto the end of the barrel.  The gun shot great and was very accurate.  I carried it on duty in my unit for two years.  I sold it to a fellow officer and then got myself an Olympic Arms LE rifle.  In some ways I miss that Century rifle.  It was my first AR-15, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, those guys should stick to building AK's. My SAR-1 was great for the price. Nice finish, nice furniture, and shot just fine for an AK. But I don't think I could bring myself to buy an Ar-15 that they put together, I don't care how cheap they are. Think I'll stick wth Bushmaster, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been pretty satisfied with the few Century guns I've bought.  I've never seen one of their AR-15's.  If I could get one for $475, I'd sure buy one to test it out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#8]
If I had paid more than $250 for my sar-2 or $300 for MISR, I would have been seriously pi$$ed.  They are basically piles of garbage slapped together by brain-dead monkeys.  The only reason they are reliable is their design.

My guess is that if the ar's are the same quality, there will be a whole new group of people screaming that ar's are junk jam-o-matics because every single one of them is shooting wolf ammo through a century arms ar with USA mags.  Just what the gun needs to bolster its reputation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would rather have a PWA than a Colt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

delete the colt and armalite and add pwa and oly. thats my preference. have a colt just cant find parts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Are these the same Century AR-15s that were basically M-16s from the Contra days that were made into semi-auto post-bans by removing bayonet lug, etc.

If so, they were pretty rough indeed.

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I just remembered - it [u]must[/u] be the legendary 'Contra M-16s' that were brought back into the Country by, let's just say, American security agencies.

It's the '[b]C[/b]entury [b]I[/b]nternational [b]A[/b]rms' company, yes, that's the ticket.

Eric The Hun

Link Posted: 5/1/2001 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#15]
They were called the "Centurian 15" and sold for about $460.00 "new" circa 1996/97.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just remembered - it [u]must[/u] be the legendary 'Contra M-16s' that were brought back into the Country by, let's just say, American security agencies.

It's the '[b]C[/b]entury [b]I[/b]nternational [b]A[/b]rms' company, yes, that's the ticket.

Eric The Hun

View Quote
                                                HEY.....they have to help pay for thier expensive vacations....ah, i mean..."overseas assignments".........[frag]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Hee Hee For all those folks who wanted a "less than $500 Limited Edition Group Purchase" your weapon has arrived.
[BD]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The one I had was serial number CIA 0052.  I remember people trying to say it was an ex-CIA gun.

What I find odd is all the Colt parts only fanatics putting down on the Century gun.  The entire gun was Colt parts except for an Olympic Arms receiver.  If you say the Century gun is junk, what you are really saying is that Colt is junk.  Judging by recent products, saying Colt is junk is something I can surely agree with!
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#19]
All your CIA guns are belong to us!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top