Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2001 3:44:04 AM EDT
I had a chance to shoot my nephews Glock 22? -full size .45 (I don't know models well)

Anyway, compared to my compact .40 Smith POS it seemed really mild and accurate, I couldn't belive it, no quick wrenching snap as with the .40

Now, is the compact Glock .45 just as mild and pleasant? or is it barrel length that is doing the taming?

If so I think I want a glock really bad!!! If I could only get anything outa my Smith

Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 4:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If you know it was a .45 than it was the G21.  The G22 is the full size .40.  When you say compact, if you are refering to .45 than it is the G30 and the G36.  If you go to the Glock site, you can work all that out.  I do not own any of the Glock .45's but rented the 30 and 36 recently.

The G30, 9 or 10 shot (depending on if you change the floor plate of the mag) and is the same width as the the 21 you fired, was really nice.  I was very happy with how it shot considering I am a 9mm guy.   The 36 was a little more work it is slimer and it gave me a blood blister between the mag and the grip in on shot.  I would still buy the 36, but it would be for CCW and most likely I would not use it as much as my other glocks.  The G30 is a well rounded .45.

To guess at your question about length doing the taming, IMO no, it is the polymer grip which flexes and the very high grip axis to the barrel which tames Glocks.  If you don't mind the trigger or the DAO then buy a Glock!
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 4:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are comparing .40 to .45 than that is a different story.  You are camparing two brands and two loads at the same time in one test.  The .40 is a higher pressure load and I think it will always feel different from a .45, A glock .40 has more recoil to me than a glock .45.

But I am a 9mm guy so what do I know.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 4:46:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a Glock guy but I would rather shoot a .45 than a .40. Get your hands on another .45 and shoot some more.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]
www.glocktalk.com
There is a whole forum on .45 GLOCKs.
I won't bore you with all the good things I have to say about GLOCKs, but try a few out.  They speak for themselves.  My personal favorite is the G35, the "practical/tactical".  It is .40 cal with a 3.5 lb. trigger.  It barely kicks at all.  It is basically the same as a G22 full size .40 with a longer slide and barrel.  It takes 15 round G22 pre ban mags as well as the 10 rounders it is sold with.    
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The Glock 30 has a dual recoil spring installed.  This tames the recoil very well.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#6]
You might want to try their "C" models as well. If you're looking at the compact version G30, unfortunately they don't have a compensated model for this yet.
The compensator consist of barrel porting. It expels the gasses up and help with muzzle jump and reduces recoil considerably. Makes re-acquiring the target faster. Glocks safe action is very fun to shoot IMO. You don't have any trigger play. You can also adjust this to a 3.5# pull. If you are using the Glock for CCW make sure you have a holster that cover the trigger. Glocks makes holster perfectly molded to their guns.
Check out these sites.
http://www.glock.com/products.htm
http://www.glockmeister.com/
http://www.glocktalk.com
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Good advice above. I 2nd the 35. I have a 34 and it`s primary use is uspsa prod matches, the barrel jump is less than on my 17 and comes with a 3.5 trigger, ext slide release, ext mag release, and stupid sights.
No matter the Glock you buy, buy mepros or trijicons for night defense or Heine for target work. IMO the Glock holsters are on par with fobus, both are a simple plastic holster. My preference is the Bladetech as it is adjustable and slick inside, very fast.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Are the compensated Glocks as earshattering as all the other compensated guns?  I know the decible meter says they are all the same but everytime I've fired anything with a comp and no hearing protection my ears have rung for days.

Link Posted: 2/3/2001 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm, never fired a compensated w/o ear plugs before, but with Glocks I don't hear a difference in noise between the "c" model and standard.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
It was a 21 as everyone said.

I may be mistaken, but as far as I know there is no compact Glock .45. There's the 30 and 36, but these are subcompact, the 36 being single-stack. The closest to a compact, for instance, would be the 23 in .40 or 33 in .357 sig.

I find the 23 to have noticably more recoil than my 22. It may take a while to get used to it if you go with that model.

If you want a true "compact" 45, look at the HK USP45C or the Kimber CDPs.

mattja
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, I mean the compacts are 19 in 9mm, 23 in .40, and 32 in .357 sig. the 33 is subcompact in .357 sig.

mattja
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're looking for a .45  and want to be able to conceal it, there simply is no better pistol than the GLOCK 30.  I have shot almost every model GLOCK and the 30 has less recoil than the 9mm's in my opinion.  You can not go wrong with a 30.  It is a no compromise handgun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey thanks for the responses so far

Sorry guess I need to clear up what I meant, ive been working lotsa OT and posted early in the morn.

The gun I got to shoot was a full size glock in .45 whatever number that may be.

I was wanting to compare differnt things, first if .45 is less felt recoil than a .40 and next if a sub-compact glock in .45 is the same recoil as the full size

Sounds like people love em and I can see why.

If the sub-compact is the same mild recoil then that is deff what I want!!

thanks all
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Physics my friend physics. 45 has more recoil and a short barrel will lose some velocity and a sharper recoil than a longer one. Even Glock cant make a 45 shoot a tame as a 40. Imo you wont go wrong with either caliber.
An H&K USP is what a Glock would be like if they would have finished the Glock.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]
What Rich314 said. Except for the HK part. We have disagreed on that point many times. Gladly not when I'm at the range with him. He's a better pistol shot than I.

[i]He basically said what I wanted to say, but I figure I rack up posts count[/i]
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#16]
An H&K USP is what a Glock would be like if they would have finished the Glock.
View Quote

You are correct, sir![:D]
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1487303&a=11209474&p=40034101[/img]
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#17]
A lot of folks who like .45 like the G30 best.  Although the barell is shorter, the different recoil spring setup makes it shoot just as smooth.  The same phenomena occurs in .40, the G22 is o.k., the G23 (also single spring) is a little stouter, so you would expect the G27 to really buck, especially with the short grip, but it seems to me and most I've talked to about the same as the G23 because of the dual spring setup.

The G30 is about the size of the G23.  The G27 is smaller.  The G36 is a little thinner, but not as "small" as the G27.

You may want to check the velocity decrease in .45 versus .40 as you decrease barrel length.  

All this aside, all of them work great, go bang every time you pull the trigger, and don't go bang unless you pull the trigger.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top