Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2003 4:11:01 AM EDT
Please check the below URL to review my situation and click on the FILES link on the left of the page to see where I stand in my lawsuit.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anti_durante

I need everybody’s help in emailing, writing and phoning Sheriff John P. Durante of Montgomery County, PA. He has denied me a CCW because, so says Sheriff Durante, I am likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.

Well, I have sued Sheriff Durante in the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas to overturn his decision. Sheriff Durante turned me down five months ago, I filed a lawsuit against him four months ago, and I first served him with discovery three and a half months ago, asking him in interrogatories to explain why I am likely to be a danger to public safety.

Well, after numerous discovery requests, Sheriff Durante has yet to tell me why I am a danger to the public. I believe that he is dragging this out, hoping I will give up. That is NOT going to happen. I have a hearing on a motion to compel discovery on Friday the 13th and I want answers.

Please contact Sheriff Durante on June 9,10,11,12 and 13. Ask Sheriff Durante why he would deny someone a permit and then not tell that person why he is a danger to the public after numerous discovery requests over numerous months. Please email, phone or write Sheriff Durante and tell him to stop wasting taxpayer money and delaying justice – tell Sheriff Durante to obey the law by answering discovery, telling Andrew Meyers why he is a danger to the public.

I’m not asking you to tell Sheriff Durante to give me a permit, as you do not know me. I am asking for your help in telling Sheriff Durante that he has a responsibility to his constituents to treat them fairly and in accordance with the law – that he should not deny them a firearm permit and then refuse to say why – after numerous discovery requests in a lawsuit.

You might also want to remind Sheriff Durante that he is up for election in November, and that the man he is running against had almost as many votes as he did in the primary.

As for Sheriff Durante getting upset about receiving a lot of emails – tough. He has denied me my rights and he can’t do anything to me that he has not already done, as we have reached the point of a lawsuit where Sheriff Durante is avoiding answering questions he has a duty to answer. Please keep your correspondence with Sheriff Durante polite, but firm and to the point. Sheriff Durante’s behavior is absolutely unacceptable, and this elected public official needs to hear from the public.

Thanks for your help! – Andrew Meyers

Sheriff Durante contact info:

Email: [email protected]

John P. Durante, Sheriff
Montgomery County Sheriff's Office
Court House, 1st Floor
P.O. Box 311 Norristown, PA 19404-0268
(610) 278-3331
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going with Beer-Slayer on this one. I live in Philadelphia, run by Dems. They had a class action law suit filed for not issuing carry permits. The state made them start issuing. They drag their feet about it, But they do issue now.

What kind of a record does your sherrif have? Has he issued permits to others?

Do you think this is personal??

What reason would he have to say you could be a danger?

Without knowing these things, I would also wish to stay out of this one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I kinda agree with the other guys.

Andrew, you're kinda telling us one side of the story, without really giving us your background.

What about YOU?  What do you DO for a living?  Do you have a criminal record?  Do you have a bad DRIVING record?  Is there ANYTHING this sheriff can and may be using against you?  

I'm not too familiar with PA.. is it a 'may issue' state, or a 'shall issue' state?  If it's the former, you may well be screwed.  If it's the latter, then you can nail him to the wall.

The only thing we could do would be to write something very general, but the most it would do is annoy him.  

Something to the point of "You are denying a citizen of your county, a CCW permit, without providing adequate reason for such denial.... " then insert statistics and facts about CCW holders.  

Someone with some good tact want to write up a form letter we can all bomb this sheriff with?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I am afraid I am with the others on this one. You are brand new here and are strangers to us all. Obviously, we can't write a letter for you that requires personal knowledge of you and your background. This would be like me responding to someone who wants to know the quality of a gun I had never owned or shot. Or like asking a college professor to write you a letter of recommendation when they know nothing of you or never had you in class. See what I am getting at?

I don't mean to make you out to be a bad guy. Obviously, since you are going about this in the manner you are, it seems you want to be legal. Otherwise you would just carry the gun concealed illegally and be done with it. But not knowing you, the sheriff or the circumstances surrounding this specific situation, I can't write any letter such as the one you are mentioning.

However, I wish you luck in finally gaining your CCW license. Perhaps a better means of doing this is to bring this up to people in your local area. These people will likely know you and be able to vouch for you. Also, their opinions may mean more to this sheriff since it's the local votes that elect or eject him. Keep this in mind and try to go this route. It would probably work out better for you. Again, good luck.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope.

What the others said. Get an attorney, join Team AR-15, and ask us again after you have more than one post...

Edited to add-

Don't mean to be an asshole. I wish you luck but knowing nothing about you, I'm not sure how much help I/we can be...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]
not knowing you, all I can say is this: The man DOES owe you a reason.

period.

good luck!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I am in agreement with the others.  Good luck though.  

Edited to add:  People from your state writting him would likely have more effect than people from other states since those are the votes that would matter to him later.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
people from your state/county should write in...I got my PA non resident ccw from Centre County,,,I even did it thru the mail while in Texas...Good LUck....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top