Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 7:57:45 PM EDT
My very good friend retired Master Sergeant Robert "Big Bob" Hoffman, a Vietnam and Gulf War disabled vet is laying in Madigan Army Medical Center on Fort Lewis, WA with a brain aneurysm that is still bleeding.  His prognosis is pretty grim.  I spent all afternoon in his room until they kicked me out.

I need you guys' to work some of your magic...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Good on ya, mate. Hope he comes thru ok.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#2]
He'll be in my prayers.  Hope he pulls through!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
He'll be in my prayers too.   [:(]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#4]
He will be fine, he deserves to be anyway. May he live long and hard. Jason
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#5]
"Big Bob" will be in my prayers.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:04:45 AM EDT
[#6]
prayers are sent
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:08:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Hope everything turns out okay.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#8]
He is in my prayers.  God Bless.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Prayer sent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:43:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Prayers and my thanx for his Service are on ther way.
[:)>]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Prayers for your friend and fellow vet
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Very good news this morning, I just spoke with his nurse who told me he had a very good night.  He is a little more awake and aware of his condition.  He is paralyzed from the waist down and his speech is almost not understandable.
This is the man that taught me to fly fish and grouse hunt.  He is a widower who has 3 grown children.  His children who were supposed to be there yesterday were nice enough to call and give a do not resuscitate order but, failed to show up otherwise.[v]  They all live closer than I do.  
I will go see him today again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#17]
He'll be in my thoughts and prayers. My best wishes
for a fellow vet. You should be commended for what you are doing, not too many friends would be like you. God Bless and prayers are sent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#19]
My thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]
btt
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I really like Big Bob, I hope he pulls through ok.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm praying for Big Bob!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Prayers and positive thoughts sent out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Being a Military brat I can tell you Madigan Army Hostipal is the best place to be if your in trouble...
View Quote

You are the first person(other than Bob)that I have ever heard say that...

Update:

I spent about 4 hrs with him today.  He is about the same.  I did not get to hear the results how the CAT scan went on his bleed.  Surprisingly to me, he wants to live.  I would have never thought he would ever want to go on paralyzed.  We talked for hours about what he can and will do if/when he gets out.  I really hope he pulls through.  Still a no show on his kids since I have been there.  He keeps telling me they should be there anytime.  One son is a doctor and the other is going to school to be a doctor.

My question is:  I know his family have requested a "Do not Resuscitate" "Do not intubate" order by phone yesterday.  I don't know if Bob knows this.  Should I tell/talk to Bob about this?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I would think you shouldnt tell Bob now. I dont know what good it would do. If he gets better, tell him then. If he does not, then he wont have to think about it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Negative, don't tell him! I send my thoughts and prayers! The last thing he needs now is that kind of negativity. Apperantly, he has the right attitude and I fear that kind of info might affect him negatively. His will to live sounds strong, and you don't want to rain on that parade. Keep his spirits up at all cost brother! You are a hell of a friend!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Also add Sgt. Major John Twomey to your prayer list.  VN Vet, was Sgt.Major at Camp San Luis Obispo and Camp Roberts for CA Guard.  Was on extended active duty during Gulf War run up active duty when his Agent Orange exposure caught up with him.

As far as a DNR/DNI order, that may be his wishes.  If a patient in a acute care facility under close to intensive care conditions and they reach a point where they need resuscitation or intubation they are in really bad shape and likely aren't going to recover.  All resuscitation or intubation will do is keep them alive in frankly poor, hell, shitty conditions for a few days.  My Dad had a DNR/DNI request and we didn't like it but it was his desire.  He had Pulmonary Fibrosis and it would have been only a temporary measure at best.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#28]
prayers sent.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being a Military brat I can tell you Madigan Army Hostipal is the best place to be if your in trouble...
View Quote

You are the first person(other than Bob)that I have ever heard say that...

Update:

I spent about 4 hrs with him today.  He is about the same.  I did not get to hear the results how the CAT scan went on his bleed.  Surprisingly to me, he wants to live.  I would have never thought he would ever want to go on paralyzed.  We talked for hours about what he can and will do if/when he gets out.  I really hope he pulls through.  Still a no show on his kids since I have been there.  He keeps telling me they should be there anytime.  One son is a doctor and the other is going to school to be a doctor.

My question is:  I know his family have requested a "Do not Resuscitate" "Do not intubate" order by phone yesterday.  I don't know if Bob knows this.  Should I tell/talk to Bob about this?
View Quote

I've got Bob in my prayers.  He's the reason I'd like to change my screename.  Madigan ain't so bad if you don't mind a long wait when you're not bleeding to death or coughing up a lung.  I had my pecker fixed there when I was a little tike.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#30]
sent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top