Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2003 7:29:53 PM EDT
Ok they showed up today and will ship out Monday for those who ordered one. Here is my review.

The GOOD.

A lot of time thought and effort went into this rifle. The receiver is much thicker than a German one and about as robust as you can make it and still have interchangability with HK parts. Thick is good with a stamped steel .308 rifle.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDpAicUp7lq5RaeLA5IDQzh1klme176rI0VraC5qP116QNU5N7WTZedEkdFKZjOyBGcrfBvjINgldrBi!H0tphP0Y4eydqew1TPMG!49Ww/Dcp_1808.jpg[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDpAiAU*bdq5RaeLA5IDaTlRe3OSoiwObMmW!NV1kCkRT5fLr4!s8pHvUSgeUREjasFxlcK6Gex*sLpI8jSLKaXzJJxn2WkCUCCoY00hvs/Dcp_1810.jpg[/img]

The two stage trigger is a dream. If you never noticed a problem with the factory HK trigger you will notice after shooting this much improved one.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDdAoITF5LOHNnKlSPhjZGHFsnYPj3Pz*xnSs1SFFmD7fk3whjfITtkRv8fT7spkOAdIglhkzggbiXSG9YKpt2RVFI5ctSku*DmCdFv97s/DCP_1812.JPG[/img]

The US made cocking handle is the best one I've ever seen. Unlike other square pieces of metal crap that cut into your hand this one doesn't hurt. It is the first one I won't change to a factory one. And most importantly these rifels are correctly spec'd so when you pull the cocking handle away from the tube it breaks the rollers. This means you can charge the rifle with the weak hand just like a factory HK.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDdAoQTkZLOHNnKlSPhjZ0oeifZGkG*WLT0WhLV6ndj53s6ypggV!4IUrwJWdM8jQU2LKM6ZMdTnx669UbU2QkkMvQxKuhAswVvectQ5i8/DCP_1814.JPG[/img]

The welds. Knock off guys take note. These are what welds are suppossed to look like. Notice how the cocking handle and receiver almost look like a single stamping and not something produced in a high school auto shop.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDdAioUYLpq5RaeLA5IDQhfhiybiGihzwr!xyaAzVwhhGDz9H5POoYxZfdJoup6n4kS*rsqvSTA*BnQPxSlR7oO8oA6WyQGVfTHVLilnEA/Dcp_1829.jpg[/img]

A recessed crown. It is well though out touches like this one that make this the best production postban HK clone I've ever seen.

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The BAD.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgAAAIET2pHOHNnKlSPhjQ*KEX3sqV8uau1nT2kAuCbGATQPxe*djjX1c8IuubyuTrmOM6I5lw6!RHFZJB0Xb1KiS68WFjbinetfeBHPk5g/DCP_1811.JPG[/img]

The trigger pack on each rifle has some "back and forth" play in it. Not nearly as bad as early SW rifles but a major detraction from a otherwise really good rifle. Fortunately it can be shimmed tight and anyone who has ever owned a SW product will be familiar with the process.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgAAAIgThpPOHNnKlSPhjSatzQ7SSaYz0o4OgqdAMjen!cDx40z1v71W0JN7QSElh6Wj62xi7iYVXTTkcc1j5XfAR4fFfegBnoDLBV72XBU/DCP_1827.JPG[/img]

While the US made buttstock is the best one I've ever seen it does not have holes for the takedown pins and the buffer is not secured from the rear like a factory HK.

The UGLY.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDdAoYTDJPOHNnKlSPhjaIYR54iBTubcQWBzNDKyNVvnG3MY1qCEKaKadSULQZa9!5hkZkkEcfxG4L0K5cX1Jxr6wnHIdMBBGqvdjZT40k/DCP_1825.JPG[/img]

My hatred for all thing French remains vindicated with this attrocity of a "french style" rear sight. While a good "target" sight it is inferior to the standard G3 sight (which has peep apetures and didn't need a dedicated main one) and mine will be replaced with one.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDdAokTw5POHNnKlSPhjdNMMbI7RvgEO7HYETWTtbfgXGLsxZ*OOVsgcmloOoa3EQ9Qn0treW7a9KJY4gWq8GHZOYwnRnpHL7oduKXRPRQ/DCP_1828.JPG[/img]

Some will not like the profile of the US made heavy barrel. But as it is a polygonal, I'll take it. Kinda has a SR9 feel but does make the rifle a tad front heavy.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDtAoQTk5LOHNnKlSPhjSRZ25p!X6i2TFTRtcPoptFmUf9V8XZgVmzl3jLWQCcRR6oA2vnMaehRYWAqz5rRMjE*MWaqz35qDHlvq*UgcLk/DCP_1832.JPG[/img]

The rest.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDdAoUT0JLOHNnKlSPhjecY9dmojHgiPdJeFl7ZSkN8L6tKX**DiJTKLaRDfONa7qJT0cGNxrjdEWA2RONiGsQ7BVR8C3Pu7vFbUvel5CM/DCP_1833.JPG[/img]

They also used a barrel collar to make sure handguards have no play. Smart move.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDdAioUYbpq5RaeLA5IDeCjNxpcnSlE3eZQ0ASgaiaJ5DIfjrRxnPOsuwNiQDCALgu*Vwgak0NYgiYKIbOQFQFTGRF7KyhtGsAZinhEnRU/Dcp_1838.jpg[/img]

Wide target handguards will fit, but fit TIGHT. Put them on very carefully. Remember the outside diameter of the receiver is actually larger than a factory gun.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgBuAIsTPpTOHNnKlSPhjcdydNOBHw!4xrOnyHcRi2s5vToDTYXaY*volMtrHM8zFyWDyxGFDKYi0ZfBKFJ1bMd!Hidki5tHwL3lB8dk61w/DCP_1839.JPG[/img]

Mine after a few improvements. Keep in mind if you replace the US made stocks with factory ones that is 3 named parts. Of course I only use US made mags now. [;)] Actually with all the US made parts on a PTR-91 you could probably get away with just replacing followers and floorplates.

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
$?
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
SCHHHWING!

Damn you steyr, you about bankrupted me with the FAL buy (how's that coming by the way?) and now this.   Boy do I want one of these....

Good review, sounds like the goods far outweigh the bad.  

matt
crashburnrepeat
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
$?
View Quote

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=181055[/url]

Depends.

CDNN had them at a closeout price really cheap but never had them everytime I called. And I quit using CDNN some time ago cause they pull stunts like that all the time.

In fact I discovered most people that "advertised" them didn't have them yet and I got this distinct feeling they may never get them.

I personally believe there are production issues at hand. So when a reputable supplier I use told me he had 9 I decided to buy now and take a chance sight unseen.

One of two things will happen.

Either A, they will get their production in order and produce these in quantity and soon everyone will have them.

Or B,  they will be a limited run of a good idea that never got massed produced for any number of reasons.

No matter what happens, I'm glad I got mine. It was worth what I paid despite the minor issues.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
She looks great in Black & Green SA! [:)]

Thanks for the review/pics.

Eric
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm with eric,thats a great review.

I love what you did to yours.It looks REALLY nice.....
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
SCHHHWING!

Damn you steyr, you about bankrupted me with the FAL buy (how's that coming by the way?) and now this.   Boy do I want one of these....

Good review, sounds like the goods far outweigh the bad.  

matt
crashburnrepeat
View Quote

Hopefully soon. And these are definitely more good than bad. Havind seen one, if I didn't have one, I'd buy it.

This is the best looking HK copy (contract guns excluded) that I have seen. Worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]
That photo of the crown and the bore...is that rust in there? [shock].......sorry couldn't help myself Steyr....[:D]
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Steyr, what is the future availability of this rifle going to be like, if you know?  Will we be able to order one through a dealer such as yourself in, say, the next six months or so?
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks good.  I can't wait to hear the range report after you get out to shoot it.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That photo of the crown and the bore...is that rust in there? [shock].......sorry couldn't help myself Steyr....[:D]
View Quote

Copper fouling. First saw it on the pic and had to check myself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Steyr, what is the future availability of this rifle going to be like, if you know?  Will we be able to order one through a dealer such as yourself in, say, the next six months or so?
View Quote

I have no idea.

There are obviously some production issues related to this rifle.

The majority of those who advertise them never had and might never get them.

If the manufacturer gets it in gear they could get them out to everyone and be everywhere in 6 months.

But if there is a problem (financial, etc.) these might prove to be a limited production rifle that was briefly available.

That is why I went ahead and bought one sight unseen when someone who actually had them came along.

I hope they get the production issue resolved. These are very nice for the price and I think I could do well with them locally.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks great overall.  I sincerely hope they can get the supply problems shorted out, I'm sure plenty of people would love to get ahold of one.  By the way, excellent camera work. [beer]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#15]
How do we do the Shim and sight replace?

Where do we get the furniture?

I know dick about HK's!  Help me Obi Wan!
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How do we do the Shim and sight replace?

Where do we get the furniture?

I know dick about HK's!  Help me Obi Wan!
View Quote

The shim: There is a gap between the rear of the receiver (above the trigger pack hook) and the front of the trigger pack. The simple solution is some JB Weld applied to either surface (choose whether you want to apply to the receiver or trigger pack face) and then let set up and file flat to fit flush. MAKE SURE you let it harden, DO NOT weld the pack to the receiver.

Furniture and maybe G3 rear sight can be obtained from POF-USA.

[url]http://www.pof-usa.com/[/url]

Replaceing the rear sight assembly is simple. Just need a phillips head screwdriver. Don't loose the small spring and detent pin.

Parts can also be found here.

[url]http://www.aa-ok.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#17]
THANKS!
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#18]
You can also do any kind of non permanent shim.

On early SW guns I've seen everything from pieces of inertube to folded cardboard inserted to take up the gap.

I've even seen liquid gasket used. This is a good solution and completely removable.

But whatever you use, keep the heat of the receiver in mind. That is why cardboard is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't wait to see mine. [:D]

Did you receive the FFL for mine yet?
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I can't wait to see mine. [:D]

Did you receive the FFL for mine yet?
View Quote

Yup, got it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Whoo Hoo! I can't wait. The green furniture looks great.

Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Whoo Hoo! I can't wait. The green furniture looks great.

Where did you get it?
View Quote

Already had it, but POF-USA has it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Buttstock backordered. [:(]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the great review Steyr.  I might have to start looking for one, If I can find anyone that will have them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks for the great review Steyr.  I might have to start looking for one, If I can find anyone that will have them.
View Quote

Psst, I did a group guy, the guy has 4 left. [;)]

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=181055[/url]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Buttstock backordered. [:(]
View Quote

Try: [url]www.aa-ok.com/[/url]

Also you may want to call POF to make sure, many places don't update their websites.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
ok, what's the damage?
View Quote

Sure I'll post it a 3rd time. [:D]

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=181055[/url]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#29]
he's a little slow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Damn I should sell a preban lower to get one of these...
View Quote

Easy there Tex....

What kind of preban lower?[>:/]

And the correct procedure is NOT sell what you got (unless it is DPMS, PWA, etc.) but to eat Ramen noodles for 4 months or get a night job. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#32]
How does it shoot? Is it reliable?
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How does it shoot? Is it reliable?
View Quote

Haven't got it to the range yet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
its a Lauer refinished Essential Arms with a 6 position Bushy M4 stock...  and you won't have one of these in 4 months... then again they may be all over the place in 4 months.
View Quote

Tough position. But my advice is don't trade a preban for a postban.

If you HAVE to have one, credit card it and pay it off over time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Gotcha. If I was in your shoes, I'd keep my preban.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gotya... could always sell my postban Bulgie Krinkov...  have had the thing for three months and still h.aven't fired it
View Quote

Now that would be a upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Did they ship?
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#42]
[b]DAMN IT, STEYR[/b]...If they are still available next week (next paycheck) I think I [b]want[/b] one.
I live in Port Saint Lucie, and I shoot at Pop's sometimes, so maybe I could pick the rifle up at your shop if I [b]do[/b] in fact get one.
(would save you shipping it out again)...although I [b]do[/b] know an FFL who would recieve it if that works better for you)

I will let you know for sure if I want one next week ([b]IF[/b] the rifles are still available LOL)
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Okay, I'm afraid to shoot my CAI clone now.

Got a few questions on these new clones of yours.  

1.  Bolt and carrier: new? used? HK? If not, where made?  Any used parts?

2.  Trigger packs interchangeble with HK?  Not the just the housing, but the internal trigger assembly.

3.  Take credit card or Paypal?

4.  When is the drop dead date on payment?
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Did they ship?
View Quote

Scheduled to go out tommarow. Had a long weekend and got backed up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
[b]DAMN IT, STEYR[/b]...If they are still available next week (next paycheck) I think I [b]want[/b] one.
I live in Port Saint Lucie, and I shoot at Pop's sometimes, so maybe I could pick the rifle up at your shop if I [b]do[/b] in fact get one.
(would save you shipping it out again)...although I [b]do[/b] know an FFL who would recieve it if that works better for you)

I will let you know for sure if I want one next week ([b]IF[/b] the rifles are still available LOL)
View Quote

I can do that. I'd be happy to transfer you one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Okay, I'm afraid to shoot my CAI clone now.

Got a few questions on these new clones of yours.  

1.  Bolt and carrier: new? used? HK? If not, where made?  Any used parts?

2.  Trigger packs interchangeble with HK?  Not the just the housing, but the internal trigger assembly.

3.  Take credit card or Paypal?

4.  When is the drop dead date on payment?
View Quote

1. Carriers are EBO (contract) and bolts head probably German, both are in new condition.

2. Trigger packs are HK, but internals are a US made 2 stage trigger. You don't want to replace with HK, trust me.

3. Can do credit cards at 3%.

4. I can get them until they run out. Last time I checked he had 4 left.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#47]
They Shipped Today, I IM'd UPS Track numbers
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Got my membership, Auggie!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Got my membership, Auggie!

Thanks.
View Quote

Cool beans. In a couple days your gonna have a rifle. [;)]

Good news, at least they put the barrels on straight.

I dropped a chambered boresight in the gun and it stayed center from 10m to 300m.

I also installed a factory HK rear sight. If you do this be advised it will seat a bit to the left when it is zeroed and the drum will be at a higher elevation than the factory zero.

I got mine zeroed at 200m and checked the graduated elevation out to 400m and it stayed correct.

Big difference from those CAI guns. [:D]

Also took some time to do some dry fires, I love that trigger.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top