Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2001 2:49:31 PM EDT
I'm interested in buying something from the equipment exchange, but I've never spent so much money on something over the internet or through the mail before, when I haven't actually inspected the item.  I'm looking to buy a rifle, and it all sounds legit, but I'm just curious to know what feedback you guys have, if any... how big of a risk is shopping like this on AR15.com?  
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
well there is no real accountability unless you get the right info. i just made a purchase through the equip-x and so far so good. usually if you ask that it be insured and tracked it should get to you in good order. i personally trust the ar15.com members to do the right thing. btw is this rifle going through a ffl or person to person. email me if you want to.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have spent between $50 and $1200 on guns and parts from the net and have yet to be unsatisfied. I have also sold guns worth up to $2500 and the buyers were all happy.

So I guess my experience has been excellent. I did recently buy an M16 upper, with a new 16" HBar on the Equipment Exchange, and was pleased with it.

Gun people tend to be the most honest people you'll meet, and those on the net are no exception.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Gun people tend to be the most honest people you'll meet, and those on the net are no exception.
View Quote

'Cept of course for the BSing dealers at gun shows, behind tables or not. [:D] Preban Ruger revolvers...
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never had a problem in any deal stemming from AR15.com.  I have bought every part for the AR15, except a lower from this board.  I have also sold a few things here.  

Most times I pay with Paypal if accepted, if not I use a personnal check.  If I recieve a personnal check from a regular member, I ship item right away, and expect the same.  Money orders are nice, but they take time to buy, and when they get lost they are a pain to track.  

I have had nothing but good experience on the Exchange Forum.

OSA
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I've brought from several board members with not so much as 1 problem at all. about 99% of the people you deal with here WILL do the right thing for you[:D]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I too have bought from members on the equipement exchange, with NO problems.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Scipio you looking at that M1A I told you about?  Just wondering?  Tell us which one maybe someone on the board can help or has delt with the person you have in mind. [sniper]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I traded a upper a month ago and made a new friend. plus I now have someone looking for stuf for me in Az where all the goods are.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have bought and sold from guys around here several times.  Just come right out and ask the guy if you can return it if it isn't as described.  

If you want to mention the seller's name, I'm sure somebody around here will give you the low down on him.  Check the Thread about feedback on sellers.  Many names on that list.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought 10 USGI 30s, good deal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:05:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Look at the feedback post.

I have bought plenty, I am plenty paranoid and very picky, still no problems here.

Just buy it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Just don't buy anything from Paul Podhorn, aka Paul308, and you'll be okay. I've bought tons of mags, parts, and even complete guns over the 'net without any problems. I know it's a little bit difficult to send hundreds or thousands of dollars off to some stranger and I was a little bit worried at first, too, but got over that pretty quick. If the seller has any kind of history here, they usually don't want to do anything to jeapordize their good reputation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Many time and it's always been good for both sides.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I put together one complete carbine gun (except stripped lower) from buying through the equipment exchange, and put together the better part of a 24" HB doing the same.  Nothing but good things to say.  I was treated very well!

Just ask about who you are dealing with...everyone will be more than happy to tell..good or bad.  The person you are doing business with will certainly understand.  

If you are worried about not having seen the item...maybe ask that they give you a day or two to inspect it before the sale is considered complete.  

99.9% of the folks on here are as honest as the day is long.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Purchased all my USGI mags on the equipment exchange from various members, all smooth transactions and very professional.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I think there is usually some risk in internet trasactions, but if you hang out a while, the unreliable folks names will surface.

I've bought a rifle and sold an Upper through AR15.com.  Both transactions went smoothly, and since I never heard a word from the guy that bought my upper, I assume he must have been happy with it.

The rifle I bought was advertised as NIB  (Costa Arms).  I had my local dealer handle the transfer and when he saw what I was paying, he said there was no way it was a NIB rife, that it had to be used.  When the rifle showed up, Guess what?  It was NIB as advertised.  My dealer still has his nose outta' joint over that one.

Get good contact info and talk to the seller over the phone to get an idea what he's like then go for it if he seems like an honorable guy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Helpful rules for buying off the 'net:

Use a U.S. Postal Money Order!!!!! USPS M.O. are protected, if it was to get lost, stolen or returned you can get a refund. If you were to have a bad deal then the seller will have committed mail fraud and the P.O. will aid in the investigation. Send payment certified mail so you have signed confirmation of arrival. Fill both m.o. and certified mail slip out completely including the 'For' section of the m.o. (example - RRA AR15 rifle).

Get a detailed description of the item by e-mail this way you have something in writing from him.  Call the seller and go over the details again, ask 'are there any problems with this firearm that you (seller) have experienced or know about?' Use your conversation to see how knowledgeable the seller is and if you sense he's trustworthy.  Send a copy of his e-mails containing any descriptions of the item and the terms of the deal with your payment. Print and keep a copy of the original for sale post. Keep all incoming and out going e-mails.

Ask for confirmation of payment arrival and ask him to confirm when order goes out. Ask how it will ship and if you could get a tracking #.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I've bought and sold a few items, and each time everyone involved got exactly what they wanted.

I'm sure the occasional rip-off isn't an impossibility, but in my limited experience this board is remarkably honest and professional when dealing with eachother.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I have bought from this board and the AK47-net board. So far the only is I don't get it instantly like going to the store. Great deals. Do check the mag 4 sale forums for feedback on sellers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I felt much the same as you a couple of months ago.  I have never bought a rifle from the equipment exchange but have picked up some other things.  It is great group of people to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Ar-sniper-15... The M1A that you told me about is in fact the one I'm interested in... do you know anything about PPS250?  He is the guy selling it out of portland oregon...

Thanks man...
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I always check in there. It's my favorite forum.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#25]
No I have never dealt with him. I have bought some clips on here and had a good experience. I suggest you E-mail him and ask if you can return it if it's not as described. Keep checking back to see if anyone has dealt with him. Also I would suggest you follow Kevins post on payment method. Hope it works out and glad to help. Oh I forgot to tell you their will be a finders fee of $100.[:D]  [sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top