Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2001 6:08:39 AM EDT
Ok, guys, I am writng a paper in my anthropolgy of Martial Arts class and I need help with all aspects of this on, Basically, I am writing about how if Martial Arts were defined as a combative skill that required alot of training that also help refine the individual physically and mentally, then Shooting would be considered a martial art.

I am doing away with the ideas that martial arts has to include some sort of religious setting because although I think that religiuos beliefs may be a root for many MA the reality is that alot of them have their own principles but not necessarily out of religion (Copeira and Pentjak Silat).

Please correct me if you think I am wrong and hit me with some sources too. That owuld be the ultimate insult haha.

Okay, I also need more info on Jeff Cooper, Rob Leatham, Clint Smith, Bill Wilson and anyone else you think would be a suprstar name in the shooting sports (as you can see I am focusing on pistol shooting).

Thnaks for your help and I'm looking forward to some replies. I am working in borrowed tme as my professor anxiously awaits my paper, he likes weapons and I am trying to convince him to get into IPSC and/or IDPA and maybe some three gun action.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Guess the easiest way is to define martial like my dictionary does: martial-- adj-- of, relating to or suggestive of war.

Choose to define martial arts as any art, science or skill that relates to war.  By this definition, shooting is a martial art.  This is, of course, outside of the classic definition of martial arts as we have come to define judo, karate, etc.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
ALA-KAZAAM!
**POOF**
[url]http://www.brianenos.com/pages/ancientpublishing.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Check your e-mail. Give me a buzz. This could be a long post so best to chat on the phone instead.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
btt
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#5]
See if you can find information about an old FBI agent called "Jelly" Bryce (sp?). Supposedly this guy practiced quick drawing in the mirror up to 8 hrs a day (?!) and was the go-to guy when the FBI had prior warning that they were going to be in a gun-fight.  

He wound up dying of old age.  Interesting story behind him.

Shooters definitely can be considered martial artists, especially if guys who jump around in silly suits throwing "chinese stars" and whirling "numchucks" can be considered martial artists.

BTW, while I don't really have all that much use for jumping around in a silly suit like the rest of my yellow brethren, both my sister and brother in law do jump around in silly suits, so they can do a perfectly acceptable job of kicking my backside into a pulp, boy-howdy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a good number of people who have been considered 'superstars' in their own way as far as handgunning is concerned besides the ones you named.  I suppose it's a matter of degree.

Elmer Keith comes to mind, as does Bill Jordan.  Col. Charles Askins.  'Skeeter' Skelton.  Col. Douglas B. Wesson.  John Browning.  Col. Samuel Colt.  "Buffalo Bill" Cody.  Any of the current IPSC 'wunderkinder'.

Examples abound.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]
The religion factor in Martial Arts is just a moral component to a issue of violence.

It's a control thing. Because one who is skilled in the art of war (fighting) but has no moral foundation is a loose cannon.

"Power without control is a waste of energy."
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Shooters definitely can be considered martial artists, especially if guys who jump around in silly suits throwing "chinese stars" and whirling "numchucks" can be considered martial artists.
View Quote

I'd run from anyone whirling "numbnuts." But I probably wouldn't consider them martial artists.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
here's a link about that Jelly Bryce character:
http://www.oklahombres.org/bryce.htm

As for the goofy martial arts weapons, my sister about 5 years ago was fooling around with that rope dart that the police inspector's daughter was using in Crouching Tiger, Squatting Bear.  

Anyhoo, she was flipping that big dart around real good on the end of the rope, and managed to whack herself in the eye.  Fortunately no damage, and the incident cured her of all rope-dart-itis.

Moral of the Story:

When Martial artist leaps out of bush with numbnuts, study him, (sorry her) with a practised and critical eye.  The martial artist may very well whale itself in the head thereby curing you of a headache.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw the movie teenage muntant nija turtles

do I qualify a master?
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Wheres all of the Mall Ninjas when you need them. [:D]  [sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top