Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2001 8:41:04 AM EDT
Some one told me (actually my son) that an arsenal is, by proper definition, 12 guns (rifles, pistols, etc) of the SAME caliber.

Does anyone know if this is true?

If so, I've got a ways to go before I'm where I wanta' be.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen on news reports.  A single shot shotgun and a marlin .22 would qualify as an arsenal.  I think 12 or more of total guns would qualify as an arsenal.  IMO.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to Steyer Aug's house.If you want to see a smaller one come to my house.Mostly it is in the minds of the sheep that fear us.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Liberal Definition;

Two or more firearms and 20 rds of ammunition in one location. Ammo does not necessarily have to be for use with any weapon located within the 'arsenal'.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

me too and I hope I beat you too it also!! [:)]
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The media always misuses various catch phrases. They vilify words like "cult", "militia",  and "arsenal". Christianity began as a cult, as do all religions. Cult = a small group of devout worshipers. Militia means a non-professional citizen army, basically every able bodied person that is not in the Armed forces.

Look up arsenal in the dictionary. The word just means a factory where guns are made. Unless you have a mill, lathe and forging equipment, all you have is a gun collection.

My Websters:
Arsenal n. factory for military and naval arms and stores. see armory

Armory n. place where arms are stored; building for headquarters and drill area of National Guard unit; see arsenal
(Arch) science of heraldry
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Dictionary definition is a collection of guns, so that means 2 or more.

To my knowledge, there is no legal definition, but with 26,000 plus gun laws, I wouldn't bet against it.

Websters:

Main Entry: ar·se·nal
Pronunciation: 'ärs-n&l, 'är-s&n-&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian arsenale, ultimately from Arabic dAr sinA`ah house of manufacture
Date: 1555
1 a : an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment [b]b : a collection of weapons[/b]
2 : STORE, REPERTORY
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
According to Sarah Brady it's a cap gun and a couple boxes of caps, stored in a cigar box,together with some baseball cards and some bubble gum!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn! You guys beat me to it! I was gonna say:

By our standards: SteyrAUG's collection (about 100 firearms)

By liberal standards: Imrog|io's collection. (a .22 rifle and 38 special) [:D]
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Schumer wants to make illegal storage of more than 1000 rounds in one home.
Hell, I never let mine fall below 1000 rounds per calibre.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Good pointe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#11]
What's next?  A ban on BIG TITS?

It's time for these numbskulls to be voted out of office at the next available opportunity.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some one told me (actually my son) that an arsenal is, by proper definition, 12 guns (rifles, pistols, etc) of the SAME caliber.

Does anyone know if this is true?

View Quote

So,if I'm reading your post correctly 11 AR15's, 11 AK47's, 11 M1A's, 11 45ACP's 11 9MM's, ETC would not constitute an arsenal?

Link Posted: 4/23/2001 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#13]
"What's next? A ban on BIG TITS?"

They ban those, and the gov.org can kiss it's ass goodbye!!  Can you think of anything that would make a couch potato into a rebel more than that!?!?!?
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's next?  A ban on BIG TITS?

It's time for these numbskulls to be voted out of office at the next available opportunity.
View Quote

DUDE SHUT UP! DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, from our standpoint, I guess a couple too many cartons of Camels is an arsenal... Eh Sarah???
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 12:33:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Q.[blue]What makes up an Arsenal? [/blue]

A. A news editor or reporter.

[red][size=4]P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 4:19:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Any firearm and a copy of Unintended Consequences.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Apparently anything that fires a projectile!...so the bag of rubber bands and box of paper clips in the desk must fall in with the old s/s shotgun and bolt 22?????...[rocket].......BUT...are they "assault"weapons?.....[uzi]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#19]
No one knows, huh?
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Arsenal: 1. A governmental establishment for the storing , manufacturing,or repairing or war material, as arms and ammuntion 2. a stock of wepons 3. a store or supply (as in he had an arsenal of material for use in his journalism class)
Christianity cannot be defined as a cult as one cannot be obsessive about worshiping the one true God and His Son Jesus Christ one can only "under worship".funny how that Chistian bias manages to sneak in to even the most innocent of posts
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll let it go after this, but what I should have asked is what is the "legal" definition of an Arsenal.  I know what the dictionary says.

When the law says you have an arsenal and you say "no I don't"  where is the legal definition?
There has to be one.

It would be nice for all of on this board to know that answer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#23]
According to Brady, Feinstein and Schumer (et al.) I imagine their legal definition of an 'arsenal' would go something like this:

[b]Arsenal:[/b] A collection* or accumulation of any device(s) designed, modified or adapted to propel or otherwise direct any type of projectile or material from the device through the direct or indirect conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy, regardless of the means utilized to achieve the conversion.

*one or more

For the more astute in the reading audience, this would encompass everything from peashooters to particle beam weapons, and I doubt that Feinstein et al. would be satisfied with anything less than this.

The abbreviated version of this definition would be "anything liberals want it to mean".
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I heard once that the legal definition of arsenal in some area somewhere is 20.  There may be some sort of localized legal definition, rather than a BATF definition, and that may cause the confusion.

My wife refers to my collection as an arsenal, but by that token, she has more collectible knives than I have guns AND ammo cans!

I just hope that I don't end up like JW Bobbit!  OUCH!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Legal definition = just to get ya.              In ohio a gun that can fire more than 31 rounds without reloading is classified as a machine gun. Boy,the morons had to reach for that one!
View Quote

Damn. I guess if I want to use my 40rd mag, I have to regester my AR as a class III then, huh?
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll let it go after this, but what I should have asked is what is the "legal" definition of an Arsenal.  I know what the dictionary says.

[b]When the law says you have an arsenal[/b] and you say "no I don't"  where is the legal definition?
There has to be one.

It would be nice for all of on this board to know that answer.
View Quote

"When the law says you have an arsenal and you say 'no I don't' "[blue] What law, specifically?[/blue]

Well Reddog6, if you aren't satisfied with our thoughts,  think about this:  You ask for a definition.  

But you don't refer to any specific laws that would make it illegal to [b]have[/b] an arsenal.

So without that context, having such a definition is no help in determining if a criminal violation has occurred.

I'm not aware of any existing prohibition on an 'arsenal'.  But there are, what , over 30,000 different firearms laws across the country?

Anyway, if you come up with the statutory prohibition, the definition can't be far away.

Regards,

[red][size=4] P.R.K.

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Black's Law Dictionary does not list the word "Arsenal".
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#29]
reminds me when i was in so PR kAlifornia  and my dad had to sign a form for buying a brick of 22's depepends on the area some call it over 50 rounds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top