Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2001 5:19:45 PM EDT
Ok, first of all I have always considered myself to be somewhat of a USA backer.  However, in the recent China incident the Chinese crashed their plane into a US Spyplane.  I believe this happened some 100 miles off shore.  The US states that this is international waters and airspace, and that the chinese had no rights intercepting their aircraft.  Why is it then that the USA claims a 300 mile limit and will intercept any unauthorized flight within this area?

Now before you go flaming away, understand that the chinese pilot was way way way out of line in getting so close to your aircraft and the crew should have been sent home ASAP. I can see them keeping your plane for a little look see ( you have done that yourselves in the past in similar instances.

Can any of you give me your take on this??

Flame suit now in place.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The US does have a large security zone but the difference is that we don't send up planes to intercept and harass. We do say "hello" to any suspicious air traffic within that zone but we keep a safe distance. We don't buzz or strafe these aircraft trying to down them. It's more a matter of saftey just to keep a proper distance especially when dealing with aircraft of such different aerodynamic capabilites. Jets are notoriously unstable at slow speeds by design. Flying at reduced speeds wing tip to wing tip with a big prop plane is sheer stupidity.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#2]
12 miles is international waters in most any country, USA included. However we do have a rather large "security zone" ADIZ (Air Defence Identifaction Zone). You are free to do as you wish 12 miles off shore.

BTW we do not object to the interception of our planes. It`s the UNSAFE manner in that they fly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
And, It's NOT a spyplane.  A U-2 or SR-71 that flies OVER their territory taking pictures, is a spyplane.  This is just a surveillance aircraft.  Large, slow moving, not hiding, out in the open.  Not something that flies high and fast to avoid detection or interception.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to mention the EP-3 is totally passive.  If the Chinese knew of it from the interceptors, they could just turn off their radars and firecontrol systems until it left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top