Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/18/2013 7:53:22 AM EDT
I guess someone on the board watched Family Guy recently.

LAKEWOOD RANCH, Fla. (AP) -- A homeowner's association in Florida is prohibiting children from playing in the street.

ABC Action News in Tampa (http://bit.ly/J5dPsc ) reports the Miramar at the Country Club Homeowner's Association passed a new bylaw last week, saying that children can't play in the street due to safety reasons. Association officials told the TV station that there's one narrow, windy road through the community and drivers often speed.
View Quote

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NO_PLAYING_IN_STREET?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-12-18-11-22-21
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#1]
"Honey pack your shit, we are moving."
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#2]
HOA are the debbil.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
easy, dont live in a HOA
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Their HOA, their rules. Don't like it? Don't live there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

"I'm sorry, but the HOA does not permit one to move from this neighborhood."  
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Or go to the monthly meetings and get the ruling reversed.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some HOAs wont sell without approving the buyer.

Check your fine print.

No sympathy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I never encouraged my children to play in the street.  Seems a little dangerous...
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Check your fine print.

No sympathy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check your fine print.

No sympathy.

I did not know this.  HOAs aren't for me anyway. If I want to paint my house pussy pink I can.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I didn't think kids played outdoors anymore, they can download it or something now can't they?
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#13]
VA has some LAWS like this.  

My buddy had a neighbor swear out a warrant on him based on one of the laws because he and his 6 year old son skateboard in the street.  Had to go to court but luckily the judge found for my freind.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  HOA's can be good if they are run by competent folks.  My 'hood has an HOA and I have no problem with it.  It's run by mostly good friends of mine that are good folks.  Of course, we have a couple of retards (3, to be exact) in the 'hood that want stupid rules (Oh, the stories I could tell lol), but those folks can't get anything done because they can't get the votes.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1  HOA's can be good if they are run by competent folks.  My 'hood has an HOA and I have no problem with it.  It's run by mostly good friends of mine that are good folks.  Of course, we have a couple of retards (3, to be exact) in the 'hood that want stupid rules (Oh, the stories I could tell lol), but those folks can't get anything done because they can't get the votes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that you even have to entertain their stupid ideas is ludicrous, IMO.  Imagine if they were to sway a few others to their side, and one of your friends moved out of the hood?  Then it would be hell and you could do nothing about it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#16]
IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The fact that you even have to entertain their stupid ideas is ludicrous, IMO.  Imagine if they were to sway a few others to their side, and one of your friends moved out of the hood?  Then it would be hell and you could do nothing about it.
View Quote

Such is life. Know what you're getting into before you move in.....

I am on my condo board just to level set stupid ideas. The amount of little hitlers running around everywhere in life would astound you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I love it when some HOA hound calls one of my guys about residents breaking HOA rules. They think it's a law and call LE. They are stark raving looney after I tell them we will not waste our time to respond to a non LE situation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I swore up and down I'd never live in an HOA ...Then earlier this year I lost my house in a Tornado..5 months later wy wife and I can't agree on a new house after months of looking ...we finally found ONE in the country that we both liked..we were both so happy we barely noticed it was in an HOA ..So far so good..hadn't heard a peep from them yet...not even any contact info
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I never encouraged my children to play in the street.  Seems a little dangerous...
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same

Shouldn't have to rely on some law or regulation to make it so.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same

Should we have laws to protect us from HOAs, too?
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#23]
So they need a HOA to tell them to NOT let their kids play in the street?
OMG, what next, will they outlaw giving kids lighter fluid and matches as party favors.
As a kid the rules were to stay out of the street except to cross at a light.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OMG, what next, will they outlaw giving kids lighter fluid and matches as party favors.
View Quote

HOAs don't make laws, they make rules.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In theory, I see what you are saying.  In my 'hood, though, it would be tougher than that.  There are about 40 families that are pretty close friends and it doesn't look like anyone is going anywhere anytime soon, if ever.  So there is that.  It also takes a full vote to change anything, so some committee can't just start changing rules.  That vote can only take place at the annual meeting.

I guess the bottom line is that if the HOA is set up properly, it can be a good thing for the community regarding property values and be prevented from a takeover by a small group of 'tards.  My 'hood is run by a large group of drunks.  So we're gtg

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#27]
What are the children doing playing in the street?
That's how dogs get run over and kids are supposed to be smarter than dogs.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

that's not the point. We're diatribe-ing here.

you let those yoots play in the street, first thing you know one gets run over. Then you have those tacky plastic flower memorials spring up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:Association officials told the TV station that there's one narrow, windy road through the community and drivers often speed.
View Quote

Ban kids.  Do it for the children.

Oh and don't enforce speed limits.  Might catch a board member doing so.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Why on earth would you want your kids to play in the street?

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I love it when some HOA hound calls one of my guys about residents breaking HOA rules. They think it's a law and call LE. They are stark raving looney after I tell them we will not waste our time to respond to a non LE situation.
View Quote

Needs more ASP and FoxLabs action.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In theory, I see what you are saying.  In my 'hood, though, it would be tougher than that.  There are about 40 families that are pretty close friends and it doesn't look like anyone is going anywhere anytime soon, if ever.  So there is that.  It also takes a full vote to change anything, so some committee can't just start changing rules.  That vote can only take place at the annual meeting.

I guess the bottom line is that if the HOA is set up properly, it can be a good thing for the community regarding property values and be prevented from a takeover by a small group of 'tards.  My 'hood is run by a large group of drunks.  So we're gtg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see that you're from LA.  This isn't your hood is it?  And if so, can I come visit?  

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why on earth would you want your kids to play in the street?

View Quote

Cul-de-sacs are good for that.  And bike riding.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same

I rely on Data and Geordi for that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Let 'em play in the street. I'll just use your front lawn as a bypass. No problem.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

You never played street hockey, basket ball, or baseball in a cul-de-sac as a kid? Even on outlet streets, we played.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I see that you're from LA.  This isn't your hood is it?  And if so, can I come visit?  

http://www.tonyrogers.com/humor/images/katrina_dogteam_900px.jpg
View Quote

Nope, but I could see us doing that.  In fact, I have a pic of about 30 of us with our pistols after the CCW course in the 'hood.  We had enough people to get our own instructor to come out to do the class.  It was awesome.

You can typically find us on the water on the weekends.

Of course you can come visit!  Just bring some gas money for the boat!

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

GD tends to say that about everything, but they never look at the legal side of it. HOA's try to get away with as much as they can, and they too don't look at the legal side of it. They throw shit at a wall and see what sticks (hey, like a micro version of our own government) My wife, when we were part of an HOA, joined, simply to infiltrate and tell them how fucking stupid they were and point out many legal problems with the crap they were trying to propose. They way you guys talk about HOA's, make it sound like they can murder your children, because it's their rules. You are so far off base you have no idea. Have you ever heard the stories of HOA's telling people to take down their American flags? I have, and they don't realize its illegal. Is this road funded by state and federal funds? Or is it a private road funding 100% by HOA dues? It's the details you folks tend to forget.

Their business their rules is the biggest load of horse shit I ever heard and would never be a good defense in court.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You never played street hockey, basket ball, or baseball in a cul-de-sac as a kid? Even on outlet streets, we played.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We used to play two hand touch football. Light post to light post end zones. When a car came, you got the fuck out of the way. Worst injuries we had were skinned knees and elbows. I miss those days, neighborhoods seems so dead nowadays.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Want to know how we can tell you live in an HOA?
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.
HR departments make laws.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good point until they "pass" that shit after you're already there. In that case, it's bullshit and your comment is too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Around here, if you want to live in a nice neighborhood, you are going to have an HOA.  Only other option is to buy a chunk of land out in the country, which is fine if you don't mind the commute.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Relax, said the night man,

We are programmed to receive.

You can check out any time you like,

But you can never leave...

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean I have to get involved? Fuck that...
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Excuse me, but if you don't like HOA, like the one I am president of, then you are a bunch of sorry individuals. The rules are for your own good, and the betterment of the neighborhood and housing prices!!!! I mean, who doesn't like the rule I enacted last summer about having your grass no taller the 1/3rd inch and no shorter then 1/4th inch tall? It keeps everything uniform and beautified. My personal favorite rule, not enacted by me but my predecessor, was to ban cars from being in driveways. All cars must be parked in the garage at all times. Why do you think we have garages? This has lowered crime, and we don't have to see those super ugly minivans, OR WORSE!!! 4x4's.

Right now I am trying to have all flags, specifically american flags, banned in the neighborhood, so we can be more culturally diverse, while at the same time not offending anyone. I feel I am doing a good service to the neighborhood, and everyone here loves me
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#47]
lol!  Lakewood Ranch.  Its like a Stepford wives community.  I doubt the little yuppy spawn play outside in the street anyway.  They're too busy taking part in organized sports, equestrian lessons, or 1-on-1 professional golf instruction.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#48]
The HOA next to me thinks we should live by their rules.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The HOA next to me thinks we should live by their rules.....
View Quote

It's funny until they foreclose on your house for $300.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!
View Quote

It's to protect the HOA from lawsuits because the people there are to stupid to tell their kids not to play in the road.
At the end of our street is a park but all the kids just stand in the fucking road and try to stare you down if you try to drive down the road.
I've had it out with their parents on several occasions.  
My daughter won't play with the kids on our street because in her 10 year old mind, they are idiots.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top