BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2013 10:48:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Chuck it for throwing tennis balls.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#2]
87 miles
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Unpossible
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine is 8 months - I walk him 2 miles every morning. As soon as we get back inside, he IMMEDIATELY gets a case of the freakazoid zoomies
and begins to do full-speed laps around the house. I let him get a few laps in then I tackle him and pin him down till he calms down...everyone
that I know that have had Labs say its at least 2  years before they begin to slow down a bit.

My son and Asher the attention whore doggie...

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
This will last roughly 3 yrs.  labs are high energy.  Mine is almost 4 and now only wants to sleep.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#6]
My gsd was that way for a few years. A backpack helps. I load him up with a few pounds and we go. When he was younger it was 10 pounds and several miles. He would sleep for a few hours, then I would be hitting a tennis ball for hours. Repeat as necessary. You will tire out before they do.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#7]
50 or so ought to do it, his energy will be back in less than an hour though...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Got a 4-month old yellow lab. Two miles a day in the morning doesn't even begin to be enough.  Comes back from the walk and goes berzerk lapping the house, digging, chewing, etc. Don't know if we're going to make it to the "calm" times.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I was told by a vet one time that too much too early can lead to hip problems. Not sure if thats the current thinking, but it did come to me from a vet quite a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Pics of your pup please.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Get him in the water and let him swim.  Mine was retrieving in the water by that age.  Its no impact and great exercise.  Mine loves the water no matter how cold it is.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Get an ATV! Tool around at 20mph, he'll keep up...for a while.

When he stops keeping up, head back home slowly. He'll be tired as shit, no worries.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Been hunting Lab`s for 30 yr`s ,somewhere between 3-4 yr`s they will start to slow down around the home but not in the field then you`ve made it .As far as wearing him out you can`t .
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is 8 months - I walk him 2 miles every morning. As soon as we get back inside, he IMMEDIATELY gets a case of the freakazoid zoomies
and begins to do full-speed laps around the house. I let him get a few laps in then I tackle him and pin him down till he calms down...everyone
that I know that have had Labs say its at least 2  years before they begin to slow down a bit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/largoboy1/IMG_20131020_114244_205_zps94f2e547.jpg
View Quote

try 8 years
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#17]
My experience is infinity
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a treadmill, no shit. My chocolate loved his hour daily run.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Whatever it is, I haven't hit it yet.

Every morning that it isn't raining I take him out to hit the hike/bike trails. I usually do 3-4 miles which means he's probably doing 6-8 with all his running back and forth.  I think I need a treadmill for this one.
View Quote

You're doing it wrong.

Now you're conditioning him for endurance.

Run him hard every couple days and give him plenty of chew toys in between, or else you'll end up with a dog like mine; impossible to tire out

Speed

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

Run him hard every couple days and give him plenty of chew toys in between, or else you'll end up with a dog like mine; impossible to tire out

Speed

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every morning that it isn't raining I take him out to hit the hike/bike trails. I usually do 3-4 miles which means he's probably doing 6-8 with all his running back and forth.  I think I need a treadmill for this one.

You're doing it wrong.

Speed

Holy shit you're right, I just did the math

Only thing worse than a hyper lab is a hyper lab that can outlast a fucking marathon runner
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Only thing worse than a hyper lab is a hyper lab that can outlast a fucking marathon runner
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

Speed

Labs do tend to mellow out pretty hard after a few years...herding dogs on the other hand...

...I've just now gotten my dog to the point where she gets tired after 3 miles or so on the trail, but then she gets a second wind

Still, a 5 mile day hike will get her sleeping in the truck on the way home. At 2.5 years old this is a newer phenomenon for her

Speed

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#23]
just be careful not to do any hard running for long distances until their growth plates have closed, usually after 18 months of age.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

Speed

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

Speed

I've never thought of it that way.  My dad's 2.5 year old lab takes many miles to wear out, even chasing the RTV.  Now I know why.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#25]
You're gonna need all the miles.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#26]
It takes a lot of running or walking to wear out a dog. Playing games like fetch works a lot better for me. A bit of playtime after the run and the dog is relaxed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Labs do tend to mellow out pretty hard after a few years...herding dogs on the other hand...

...I've just now gotten my dog to the point where she gets tired after 3 miles or so on the trail, but then she gets a second wind
Still, a 5 mile day hike will get her sleeping in the truck on the way home. At 2.5 years old this is a newer phenomenon for her

Speed

View Quote

Oh no I understand -  I had a black lab growing up...most awesome annoying ass of a dog in the world ever; I wouldn't have traded him for the world.

The one time I had his ass so tired that he slept for three days, me and my best friend hopped on my dad's ATV and basically just goosed it all around our neighborhood, as fast as it'd go...and Jack kept up with us, and we were easily hitting 35+. This continued for at least an hour, maybe more.

Later he was dragging it, so we headed home...and I shit you not, that dog went in, went downstairs into the kitchen (it was basically on the slab so the kitchen floor was as cool as anything in the house ever got), he starfished, and that was it..he was OUT. Filled his water and put it under his snout so he could drink, and he was just out for the next two days easy. Admittedly he was 3 or 4 by this time so a bit past his "prime" but he still had it in him at that point....
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#28]
My dads is 5.5 yo. has been run over and had her back broken and now is recovered and still hasnt slowed/calmed down.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

When he stops keeping up, head back home slowly. He'll be tired as shit, no worries.

View Quote

and his hips will be destroyed in a few years too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not carrying a load, just running. If just running ruined a lab's hips, every lab on the planet would be laid up within 60 months of their birth.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Get a Chuck it for throwing tennis balls.
View Quote

Into the water.  Run/swim/run combo for max effect.

ETA - Rock's favorite thing in the whole world.  

Hard to believe he's been gone almost a year.  Loved taking him to the beach for a swim.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I had one like that 20 years ago.  She was a great dog.  A full day of swimming was the only thing that ever wore her out.  We were at a party at a lake and she wore everybody out throwing sticks and tennis balls into the water for her to retrieve.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#34]
A six month old Lab would kill a normal man trying
to ware him out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/largoboy1/IMG_20131020_114244_205_zps94f2e547.jpg
View Quote

This get a Teenager
My GSD Damn near kilt Ma and Pa
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#36]
How many miles?

All of them.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Get a pair of roller blades, and let him pull you around the neighborhood.

Beyond that, I've got nothing.

<-- Can't keep up with his lab.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#38]
can you do a combo of retrieve from water over land?
getting in and out of the water back and forth cuts down on that time considerably

not a lab but a chocolate standard poodle.... took a full 2 years to get the energy out of her
she went from hours of play down to about 10 minutes is all she needs most days now at age 3

not to burst your bubble my sister had a yellow lab who had crazy energy for 13 years before her body gave out
she would retrieve for days on end if you let her

ETA: sounds crazy but if your throwing a ball up the size/weight on it
this did wonders for our girl we went from hours on a tennis ball
to minutes retrieving a leather soccerball or basketball
add some water to weigh it down if needed
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Speed

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

Speed

Speed

I have a border collie/lab mix... Do you feel my pain?
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#41]
My avatar is going on 13 years, and he can still do 4-5 mile walks/hikes. I've kept him active his entire life tho, which helps.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#42]
How many miles to wear out a Lab?

All of them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I was told by a vet one time that too much too early can lead to hip problems. Not sure if thats the current thinking, but it did come to me from a vet quite a few years back.
View Quote

Hip dysplasia is inherited. While over-exercise won't cause it, it may exacerbate the problem or cause pain. There does seem to be evidence that over-exercise can cause elbow dysplasia (OCD) though. Waiting until the growth plates close (12-15 months) before excessive exercise or training is advisable.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't think I've ever worn my lab out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Get him in the water and let him swim.  Mine was retrieving in the water by that age.  Its no impact and great exercise.  Mine loves the water no matter how cold it is.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Take him swimming. It works better.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Take him swimming. It works better.
View Quote

This is true. Mine is in the river or pond whenever I can manage...much easier on 'em and they fucking love it.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Buy this.  Stand in one place and let him retrieve it.  My Golden is dog-nuts about it and it wears him out after 25-30 retrieves (and he is like the Energizer Bunny on steroids).

http://www.petstore.com/jw-pet-company-jw-toy-isqueak-bouncin-bowling-pin-large
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Could you hook a plow or tiller to him and get some useful work done?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top