Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2013 10:06:10 AM EDT
The mother of a friend of mine passed away last week. He's now in KY trying to get her estate settled and found a handgun in her things. He never knew she had one. Now he wants to know the best way to get it back home.

I don't think we need to get an FFL involved since it's an inheritance.

We talked about checking it in his luggage, but he's passing through Chicago and I'm not sure how retarded they are there about guns in luggage.

We also talked about him shipping it to himself via FedEx or UPS. I was wondering if he could send it to himself at the office where someone would be sure to receive it and hold it for him (no one would open the box on this side).

What  would work best?

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll probably need to go through an FFL.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Road trip
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Just check it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't need FFL since it's an inheritance/estate.  I think shipping (UPS) would work.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Just ship it to himself. Fuck bringing it through O'hare.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]
It became his handgun the instant she died. So he can ship it to himself.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just ship it to himself. Fuck bringing it through O'hare.
View Quote

This was my thought.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Declare it in checked bag unloaded.    Only problem in Chicago is if it is a semi auto that holds more than 10 rounds
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#10]

I wouldn't risk taking it into IL.  

Ship it by UPS to himself.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just check it.
View Quote

This.  No worries in Chicago.  I've flown through Chicago with checked pistols and an AR-15.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bingo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Really?  What happened to creditors claims periods?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Ship it to yourself with signature confirmation.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Wait. Someone explain to me how the fuck you can ship pistols to yourself?

Thought it was long guns only?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bingo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

True of course.  I'll only add: he must use a "common carrier." In other words:  DO NOT USE THE US POSTAL SERVICE!!!!!!!

Rather, Fed Ex or Brown will accept handguns - though their corporate policy usually dictates overnight.  AND - the counter-monkies at Brown usually are CLUELESS about their own policies on shipping handguns.  Expect to have to do some arguing/explaining/wrangling, etc.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I went through O'hare on my way to Indiana one time with several Glocks/regular cap mags in a checked case.  No problem.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

I don't think they'd apply to low value personal property. When my FIL passed away I helped my wife and BIL settle his estate. Personal property was doled out to the grandkids and family. I was given his pocket watch and an air pistol. The watch was worth about $300 and the air pistol was worth about $75. (I had the watch cleaned and polished and gave it to his grandson for a college graduation gift. I'm holding the air pistol for the same grandson.) There were a  lot of other knick-knacks that were passed to folks in the family. The financial part of the estate (the house, investments and cash) took about a year to settle.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You put it in a box:

your info here

To: Your info here to whatever address you will pick it up at.

You can even ship to yourself " in care of" someone else until you get there.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can ship handguns through UPS or FedEx. Although their internal policy requires overnight.
FFLs are the only ones who can ship handguns through USPS.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had an interesting experience recently with FedEx.  The hub in Memphis WOULD NOT allow me to ship a rifle OR handgun to myself unless it was broken down, incomplete and inoperable.  I had to take everything home, disassemble and repackage before they would ship it, what a pain in the ass!
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You put it in a box:

your info here

[div style='text-align: center;']To: Your info here to whatever address you will pick it up at.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You put it in a box:

your info here

[div style='text-align: center;']To: Your info here to whatever address you will pick it up at.

That's not helpful. I know how to mail things.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can ship handguns through UPS or FedEx. Although their internal policy requires overnight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is helpful. Had no idea and was told it wasn't legal. I've been flying with boxes full of pistols for no reason
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't think they'd apply to low value personal property. When my FIL passed away I helped my wife and BIL settle his estate. Personal property was doled out to the grandkids and family. I was given his pocket watch and an air pistol. The watch was worth about $300 and the air pistol was worth about $75. (I had the watch cleaned and polished and gave it to his grandson for a college graduation gift. I'm holding the air pistol for the same grandson.) There were a  lot of other knick-knacks that were passed to folks in the family. The financial part of the estate (the house, investments and cash) took about a year to settle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

My FIL died three years ago.

We're still settling the damn estate, but my wife got his guns right after the funeral.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is helpful. Had no idea and was told it wasn't legal. I've been flying with boxes full of pistols for no reason
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone probably told you that because you can't use USPS as a non FFL. That would be illegal.

You can use UPS, Fed Ex, or any other carrier to ship handguns to yourself.

In the future always check into the laws yourself. There is many misconceptions among gun people.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From here

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I had an interesting experience recently with FedEx.  The hub in Memphis WOULD NOT allow me to ship a rifle OR handgun to myself unless it was broken down, incomplete and inoperable.  I had to take everything home, disassemble and repackage before they would ship it, what a pain in the ass!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hub got it wrong.  They usually do.  Nevertheless, OP might have better luck shipping in 2 seperate packages (one with just the stripped frame).
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[
From here

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
View Quote

Thank you. I'll let him know he can ship it to himself care of the office. I'll just put the box on his desk until he returns.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#31]

<h6 style="margin: 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: 'Palatino Linotype', Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: inherit; letter-spacing: -0.05em; color: rgb(11, 32, 75); text-indent: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?</h6>
<dd style="margin: 0px 1.5em 0.5em; padding: 0px 0px 0px 10px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 0.9em; font-style: italic; line-height: inherit; text-indent: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18
1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

</dd>
<h6 style="margin: 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: 'Palatino Linotype', Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: inherit; letter-spacing: -0.05em; color: rgb(11, 32, 75); text-indent: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
</h6>
<dd style="margin: 0px 1.5em 0.5em; padding: 0px 0px 0px 10px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 0.9em; font-style: italic; line-height: inherit; text-indent: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18
922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27
478.31 and 478.30]

</dd>
<h6 style="margin: 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: 'Palatino Linotype', Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: inherit; letter-spacing: -0.05em; color: rgb(11, 32, 75); text-indent: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">

</h6>

</dd>
View Quote
IT says you must use FedEx or UPS to ship a handgun but you can ship it to yourself in another state.

TL;DR - UPS to YOURSELF.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Just check it and fly. You'll need a TSA approved lock (a normal keyed PadLock works) and no, they won't let it get lost. If it does it becomes a BIG issue for the TSA since the Federales get involved.Ariba.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top