Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2002 5:00:07 AM EDT
I caught part of some crap about gun shows and full auto parts on ch4 this morning while preparing breakfast.

they showed undercover video at a local show, at a DPMS table buying M16 firecontrol group parts.
they showed a AR15A3 firing semi only, they show the guy opening the rifle up, talking about changing some components...

[i](first I'm thinking DIAS... but no)[/i]

they then show the guy firing a few bursts of auto fire.  They claim it's so easy to do, parts are readily avail. at local shows.

they talk to a guy who was arrested, and he claims that after columbine he thought this would be the safest place and no laws were being broken...(blah blah blah)

Granted, I haven't seen the whole segment, that's supposed to be at the 10pm show. but this is common BS reporting from what I've seen already %^&*(

I'll try and watch so we can get ARFCOM into action on this bs.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Ahhh yes, yellow sensationalist journalism at its worst.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#3]
bump for the evening crew...
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]
ok, one last bump.. 15min out from start of the "news" [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any time I have seen DPMS or Model 1 sales set up at gun shows, they were selling select fire parts.
View Quote

Pretty sure it's all legal as long as they are replacement parts for a registered weapon.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm rolling tape now with the vcr.. will report after the fact.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

they showed undercover video at a local show, at a DPMS table buying M16 firecontrol group parts.
they showed a AR15A3 firing semi only, they show the guy opening the rifle up, talking about changing some components...

[i](first I'm thinking DIAS... but no)[/i]

they then show the guy firing a few bursts of auto fire.  They claim it's so easy to do, parts are readily avail. at local shows.

View Quote

If the gun was a semi that is made a full-auto I think the BATF should prosecute the people who did the work and the news agency for assisting this criminal act. I'd like to see actual gun laws being enforced on TV.

Then again it might be a legal M-16 that someone put semi parts in, then swapped the full auto parts back in for the cameras. Kinda like how chevy truck gastanks just explode on their own.  [rolleyes]

-Luther
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its called "artistic license." If something don't the way they think it should, lie a little; or in this case, lie a lot. So what else is new?

Way back in the the late 80s, I think it was something like '89, when the AW ban was being debated here in the PRK, a local police agency wanted to demonstrate the power of the AK; so shot at some pumkins with an AK, of course it made some nice clean holes. Undaunted, the local PD had to switch to handguns with 9mm Para Winchester SilverTip hollow points for the desired exploding pumpkins that the local news media so desperately wanted to see. The news media just ate it up, we were seeing this footage for the next week on the news.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I think Dan Rather also had the report.

Tanner Gun Show, everything from Hellstorm 2000, to Model Rocket Fuel to Beanie Babies.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Just another Denver Metro rag story
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Its called "artistic license." If something don't the way they think it should, lie a little; or in this case, lie a lot. So what else is new?

Way back in the the late 80s, I think it was something like '89, when the AW ban was being debated here in the PRK, a local police agency wanted to demonstrate the power of the AK; so shot at some pumkins with an AK, of course it made some nice clean holes. Undaunted, the local PD had to switch to handguns with 9mm Para Winchester SilverTip hollow points for the desired exploding pumpkins that the local news media so desperately wanted to see. The news media just ate it up, we were seeing this footage for the next week on the news.
View Quote

Saw a very similar video - but to make the Pumpkins "Explode" they used Sierra Hollow Points out of a Rem 700 in 7mm.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Channel 7 (Miami) actually has a video of a guy shooting a Select-Fire AK-47 on file...They show it anytime they mention someone with an SKS, SAR, or anything similar.

I think they get a hard-on anytime the get to talk about evil "Semi-Automatic Assault Machinegun." It is extremelly misleading when they talk about a guy who shot a cop with a Semi-Auto. SKS, then show a video of a guy blasting away with a Select-Fire AK-47...
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Network news (CBS?) had a blurb on it tonight. They were showing a clip showing some sort of chemicals being mixed & how **dangerous** they could be & they were sold (GASP) AT A GUNSHOW!

They showed the buyer asking if it was legal to own. The dealer replied that they wouldn't be selling them if it wasn't legal. (Duh!)

Then the narrator says yes, it is legal but not if you own them all together. I have no idea what chemicals they were talking about.

Then they blew up a car with 3-4 sticks of dynamite & then used 2lbs of XYZ & it got about the same reaction. Maybe they were using gunpowder?

Oh, yes, they did get their little dig in: the showed the Bomb Squad dude as saying "what if the "militia" gets ahold of this stuff?"

I'm sure there were DU members & soccer moms pissing all over themselves after that.

Idiots.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#15]
It always amazes me when the media "discover" something new, such as this. Nevermind that you can by the parts easily, you just better have a class III license.

Too bad. I generally like Bill Stuart too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:20:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't get the Denver channels here, but KKTV in the Springs is going to show the clip tonight.  From what I've seen of their promos, it's the typical anti gun ranting BS from the left wing liberal media $#!!bags.  Karl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top