Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2013 4:56:00 AM EDT
13/14 November a North America wide /drill/exercise will take place to test responses to cyber attack/EMP grid knock out. Think they're concerned someone might flip off the lights?  http://www.spp.org/publications/13%20-%20CIPC%20Brief%20%28Harrell%20Conway%20Mar%202013%29%20V2.pdf

"thousands of utility workers, business executives, National Guard officers, F.B.I. antiterrorism experts and officials from government agencies in the United States, Canada and Mexico are preparing for an emergency drill in November that will simulate physical attacks and cyber attacks that could take down large sections of the power grid"... Remember the Boston Lockdown after the Marathon!

Maybe they're finally taking some advise from James Woolsey? What would American youth do without their smart phones, text messaging? Few of us are against exercises, but given that the powers whom be in DC and all that has been done to usurp and abuse our Charters of Freedoms since 9/11/01, but especially in last 5 yrs, exactly what is the COG plan for the US? Does even local Law enforcement know?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/17/us/as-worries-over-the-power-grid-rise-a-drill-will-simulate-a-knockout-blow.html
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to trust the government not to abuse the skills learned in such a drill?  Sadly we'll probably never know.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm glad they're this proactive. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll make sure to open the breaker at our plant just to add some realism to the drill.

j/k NSA, FBI, DHS and the rest of you guys listening in out there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:24:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know........... But all you guys with battery operated sights better start practicing with your irons..
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#5]
If you think the Chinese, Russians or North Koreans are a threat imagine what a mob of teenage, menstruating high school girls who cant text would be like. Bring it on North Korea..
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know........... But all you guys with battery operated sights better start practicing with your irons..
View Quote

Or stock up on batteries.  Wait, how about a solar charger.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Two handed sword:

1.   Power goes out.  Dear Leader's government messages go away.

2.  People are pissed.  Turn out the lights so they can't organize and pose a threat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#8]

It seems like everytime they runs the disaster scenarios they magically become reality.

I would not be surprised.

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Two handed sword:

2.  People are pissed.  Turn out the lights so they can't organize and pose a threat.
View Quote

two handed?  English your second language?
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It seems like everytime they runs the disaster scenarios they magically become reality.

View Quote

Wasn't there some type of exercise or drill on or near 9/11/2001 loosely related to the actual incident?
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wasn't there some type of exercise or drill on or near 9/11/2001 loosely related to the actual incident?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they were running a drill were a terrorist took control of a plane and crashed it into a building. They were also doing a drill during the boston marathon and we all know how that worked out.

Eta: they were also running a mass casualty drill in texas when that fertilizer plant exploded.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Google found Vigilant Guardian as the name of the exercise being run on or near 9/11.  Russian bomber coming out of the north or something like that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Two handed sword:

View Quote

You write like English is a second language.  Are you an FSB troll
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Honestly I think it might be quite interesting to see them do the drill for real. Cut the power to the whole country for a day or two. Give notice to emergency services such as hospitals and fire depts so that they can have generators and fuel in place and stay operational. Let everyone else discover how fucking unprepared they are.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Honestly I think it might be quite interesting to see them do the drill for real. Cut the power to the whole country for a day or two. Give notice to emergency services such as hospitals and fire depts so that they can have generators and fuel in place and stay operational. Let everyone else discover how fucking unprepared they are.
View Quote

That's as dumb of an idea as the Purge. For millions, when the lights go out, they will never come on again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both. A stock of 123s and a stock of 123 rechargables with solar chargers and wall chargers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:29:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Exercises are done constantly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

ACOG FTW!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ACOG FTW!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ACOG FTW!!

ShortDot for the win,er
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm glad they're this proactive. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
View Quote

Oh they'll play and war game. and find out exactly what we already know.

The grid is fragile, overloaded, with too few spare parts spread out over remote territory that in some places is extremely difficult to get to in deep winter.

They will conclude that the grid must be rebuilt, redesigned and modernized.

The cost will be in the trillions.

The conclusions and plans will be shelved.

The results locked away for national security, and no one will ever hear about it again.

Waste of money.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The grid is fragile, overloaded, with too few spare parts spread out over remote territory that in some places is extremely difficult to get to in deep winter.

The results locked away for national security, and no one will ever hear about it again.

Waste of money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waste of money.

Actually the North American grid is actually pretty robust considering its age.  I'm not talking about the underlying residential stuff but the transmission status as a whole is doing just fine.  With the 765 and 500 kv that is found in the eastern interconnection serving as the backbone, the underlying 345, 230 and 115 is very capable.  These drills get done all the time, not just when a gov't entity wants it done.  We are constantly doing some type of emergency procedure drill in order to keep transmission operators and generator operators prepared.  I am sure that I will somehow be involved in this upcoming drill that is organized by NERC.

I by no means am saying that something like this cannot happen.  It has in the past.  It certainly can in the future.  But its a little harder than one would think.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I was shocked to see that my lowly county EOC has a comms room that is a big faraday cage and a second set of portable radio hardware in a second faraday cage inside that room.

The current everyday 800mhz emergency services radio system continues to suck though
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Actually the North American grid is actually pretty robust considering its age.  I'm not talking about the underlying residential stuff but the transmission status as a whole is doing just fine.  With the 765 and 500 kv that is found in the eastern interconnection serving as the backbone, the underlying 345, 230 and 115 is very capable.  These drills get done all the time, not just when a gov't entity wants it done.  We are constantly doing some type of emergency procedure drill in order to keep transmission operators and generator operators prepared.  I am sure that I will somehow be involved in this upcoming drill that is organized by NERC.

I by no means am saying that something like this cannot happen.  It has in the past.  It certainly can in the future.  But its a little harder than one would think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waste of money.

So robust in fact that when a single tree hits a residential feeder line in northern Ohio, it blacks out the northern quarter of the United States for almost a week.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got stuck on a ride at Cedar Point during the 2003 Blackout. When I got home 5 hours later than it should have taken me to get there I was told by my FD we needed people to go to Cleveland with our small town FD tanker trucks because municipal water in Cleveland was down and they couldn't fight fire.

Real SHTF eye opener.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So robust in fact that when a single tree hits a residential feeder line in northern Ohio, it blacks out the northern quarter of the United States for almost a week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waste of money.

I knew that was going to come into play

There were alot of underlying issues with that instance.  Like I said before, not saying it cant happen.  Look at Hurricane Sandy.  A huge percentage of lines were tripping like crazy.  Did it take down the grid?  Generators were tripping offline during the storm because they were literally under water.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I have both. A stock of 123s and a stock of 123 rechargables with solar chargers and wall chargers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or stock up on batteries. Wait, how about a solar charger.

The thinking is that in the event of an EMP the electronics in your battery operated sights along with every thing

else will be fried. A stack of batteries won't matter.  THat said there is plenty of opinion that small electronic

devices should be fine, it's the grid and mega transformers that will take the hit.  Transformers that would take years and years

to build and replace.

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#28]
What if all men between the ages of 18 through 45 started drilling on a regular basis for such emergencies as well. I'm not talking about a thousands, I'm talking millions across the nation of citizens- preparing for perhaps the "collapsed government" scenario.

That is what we are supposed to be doing, not giving them all the power to destroy us.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What if all men between the ages of 18 through 45 started drilling on a regular basis for such emergencies as well. I'm not talking about a thousands, I'm talking millions across the nation of citizens- preparing for perhaps the "collapsed government" scenario.

That is what we are supposed to be doing, not giving them all the power to destroy us.
View Quote

You must cut to cure.

We have a lot of cancer in this country. it must be cut out before we can heal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The thinking is that in the event of an EMP the electronics in your battery operated sights along with every thing
else will be fried. A stack of batteries won't matter.  THat said there is plenty of opinion that small electronic
devices should be fine, it's the grid and mega transformers that will take the hit.  Transformers that would take years and years
to build and replace.

8nBAIT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

to build and replace.

8nBAIT

That's what I was getting to in my post above.

Transmission lines will act as huge conductors of EMP pulse and esplode teh transformers in a huge radius.

America does not stockpile transformers an in fact gets them from foreign sources on a just in time delivery status.

IF (if) we ever get hit with a large scale EMP, whether solar or nuclear, America will be dark in large areas for a long time. And the natives will get extremely uppity during that time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

So the odds are relatively high that you could tie any given event to a similar exercise.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I live in Nola and can tell you from experience the grid, at least OUR grid, isn't up to par. Last hurricane season we had a little piss-ant storm named Isaac come through. Barely even a Cat 1 hurricane, knocked out electricity and comms to 80 percent of the whole greater Nola area for 1 week and up to 2 weeks for 40 percent of affected areas. It was a display of incompetence and unpreparedness on epic levels.

The recovery, utilities, was private sector. I could only imagine what kind of clusterfuck it would be if gov were in charge.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Transmission lines will act as huge conductors of EMP pulse and esplode teh transformers in a huge radius.

America does not stockpile transformers an in fact gets them from foreign sources on a just in time delivery status.

IF (if) we ever get hit with a large scale EMP, whether solar or nuclear, America will be dark in large areas for a long time. And the natives will get extremely uppity during that time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

to build and replace.

8nBAIT

I do agree with your EMP thoughts though.  Transformers for the larger voltages are extremely hard to come by.  There are no "spares" lying around.  There are procedures in place for Solar Magnetic Disturbances when Solar Flares are predicted.  Alot of the procedures deal operating in conservative operations in order to reduce loading on the transformers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

to build and replace.

8nBAIT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

to build and replace.

8nBAIT

Not when it sits in my grounded faraday cage called a safe.

But this article is not about EMP, it is about the grid being down due to conventional attacks on the grid.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So the odds are relatively high that you could tie any given event to a similar exercise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and the exercise underway when 911 happened was about soviet bombers coming across the pole. A similiar exercise happens several times per year.

It had nothing to do with planes hitting buildings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I live in Nola and can tell you from experience the grid, at least OUR grid, isn't up to par. Last hurricane season we had a little piss-ant storm named Isaac come through. Barely even a Cat 1 hurricane, knocked out electricity and comms to 80 percent of the whole greater Nola area for 1 week and up to 2 weeks for 40 percent of affected areas. It was a display of incompetence and unpreparedness on epic levels.

The recovery, utilities, was private sector. I could only imagine what kind of clusterfuck it would be if gov were in charge.
View Quote
Entergy's response to the storm was actually record breaking and they were commended by the DOE for that record breaking performance, people just have unrealistic expectations.  You can read the DOE report online and see how much faster the restoration of power was compared to other major outages. Your numbers are also incorrect and if you live in NOLA you may have had extra delays because of the dumb fucks who decided to threaten workers and throw eggs and rocks at them, only in N.O.

"The typical benchmark for utility companies is to restore power to 70 percent of customers within five to seven days. The pace of Entergy's restoration, restoring power to 90 percent of its customers in four to five days, is unbelievable," said William Bryan, deputy assistant secretary for infrastructure security and energy restoration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top