Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#1]
wow..
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
That article was all drama and no substance.  The only "data mining" mentioned in the article was that by default a local computer search will also search Bing letting Microsoft track your local searches.  But you can turn that off.

The way the article title reads it sounds like 8.1 will install an NSA monitoring device in your local computer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That article was all drama and no substance.  The only "data mining" mentioned in the article was that by default a local computer search will also search Bing letting Microsoft track your local searches.  But you can turn that off.

The way the article title reads it sounds like 8.1 will install an NSA monitoring device in your local computer.
View Quote

Why in the "blue" fuck should a local search of my hard drive for "SKS takedown and cleaning guide"  EVER leave my fucking computer?    Why should I have to turn that OFF?   It shouldn't even be a function in the first place.

What benefit is it to the users?

I'll answer that:  Not a fucking thing.   I don't need "ads" served up about my local search for an SKS takedown and cleaning guide.

Its just another big data company turning the people who USED to be their customers into a "product" they're packing up and delivering to their NEW customers, the data miners at advertising firms.  

And that's before even getting into the abuse that can happen here with government abuse.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#4]
< s n o r t >

Does anyone really think they'll be able to go online anymore and avoid being eyeballed by the powers that be , whether they be corporate or government ?

And what we see today is only a small glimpse at what's really going on ......and is dwarfed by what will take place next month....next year .

The country needs a serious reset ......soon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm setting up a new PC right now.  After I finally get logged in to Windows, JOB #1 is to head for the control panel and remove some bloatware.  The Bing Bar is usually the first to go.  Once I've got the bloat uninstalled, I launch IE.  JOB #2 is setting the default search provider to Google and removing all others.  Then it's time for a new browser, some free A/V, iTunes, etc.

MS/Bing isn't tracking shit around here.

I only get tracked by Google.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#6]
wow Fuck windows 8 and Fuck windows 8.1

oh.. yea

FBHO
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why in the "blue" fuck should a local search of my hard drive for "SKS takedown and cleaning guide"  EVER leave my fucking computer?    Why should I have to turn that OFF?   It shouldn't even be a function in the first place.

I'll answer that:  Not a fucking thing.   I don't need "ads" served up about my local search for an SKS takedown and cleaning guide.

Its just another big data company turning the people who USED to be their customers into a "product" they're packing up and delivering to their NEW customers, the data miners at advertising firms.  

And that's before even getting into the abuse that can happen here with government abuse.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because in Windows 8.1 you're not doing a local search of your hard drive, you're doing a search in general of SKS takedown and cleaning guide".  It's showing you results from your local hard drive and the interne.  The benefit is it's a one stop solution for searching.  Also, if you just want to search for files on your computer, set the search from "Everything" to "Files" using the drop down menu located just above the search field.  It's not a setting buried in the control panel or anything like that.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

wow Fuck windows 8 and Fuck windows 8.1
oh.. yea

FBHO
View Quote
As typical, the article is all drama and not really backed by reality.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
hmmm i guess Linux is looking better and better for a OS..
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Windows 8.1 will also update permissions without any notifications
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Depends on the distro of course but I know Ubuntu already does the unified search and makes queries over the internet when you search for a file on the drive.  On my Ubuntu laptop, I get links to shopping results when I search for stuff on the laptop, and this was way before Windows 8 implemented a similar type of unified search.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Yawn.

And when he complains about 8.1 wanting to setup a microsoft account and about how you have to do a few clicks to setup a local account, umm ya it's the same as 8.0.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Depends on the distro of course but I know Ubuntu already does the unified search and makes queries over the internet when you search for a file on the drive.  On my Ubuntu laptop, I get links to shopping results when I search for stuff on the laptop, and this was way before Windows 8 implemented a similar type of unified search.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

drat foiled again!
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

By default Microsoft has all sorts of stupid features turned on or off making their product a pain.  For example, hiding file extensions is turned on by default.  Why the fuck would you ever want to hide a file extension.  With no extensions you go into a folder and see 5 files with the same name.  How the fuck is that useful?

When I install/re-install Windows, no matter which version, I have a mental checklist of probably 50 configurations that I need to change in order to make the machine friendly to use.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

By default Microsoft has all sorts of stupid features turned on or off making their product a pain.  For example, hiding file extensions is turned on by default.  Why the fuck would you ever want to hide a file extension.  With no extensions you go into a folder and see 5 files with the same name.  How the fuck is that useful?

When I install/re-install Windows, no matter which version, I have a mental checklist of probably 50 configurations that I need to change in order to make the machine friendly to use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe most users want it that way? If you're such a power user and reinstalling Windows daily is such a pain for you, why not create a custom Unattend.xml and have it install the way YOU want?

Man, people complain about the most mundane things....
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm setting up a new PC right now.  After I finally get logged in to Windows, JOB #1 is to head for the control panel and remove some bloatware.  The Bing Bar is usually the first to go.  Once I've got the bloat uninstalled, I launch IE.  JOB #2 is setting the default search provider to Google and removing all others.  Then it's time for a new browser, some free A/V, iTunes, etc.

So ditch Google, and use DuckDuckGo.com or something similar?

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are other periodic events that gather reports and upload them as well even in Windows 7. They are not listed in scheduled tasks and exist as part of the system services. This is nothing new to Win 8. Who the eff knows what gets gathered and sent back to M$.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top