Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2001 1:02:20 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy from someone possibly out of state.  How does one handle the money changing hands and using FFL dealers to send through?  I just don't want to go in blind and get screwed.

Link Posted: 4/12/2001 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
well you are taking a risk..but there are ways to minimize it...in all emails regarding your purchase be sure to print out a hard copy...get full name, address, phone number, call and verify, send certified funds via ups certified mail with one of your email copies (keeping a few copies in your own file)...make sure you can return product for a full refund if unused and in the same condition sent ..you will have to pay for return shipping in most cases...I have sold a few firearms through email and on guns america..you can use their secure purchase...when I sell I run it through my FFL dealer to the buyers FFL  this costs me a couple of bucks but its worth it to me kinda like insurance...you can check out the whether the FFL is real or not on the ATFs web site...ask the seller for a phone number for the FFL holder and check them out...find out what county they are in ...if you have problems a call to the county sherrifs office might help...sometimes a call from them helps to untangle any logjams
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 3:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ar15 fan:
I'm looking to buy from someone possibly out of state.  How does one handle the money changing hands and using FFL dealers to send through?  I just don't want to go in blind and get screwed.
View Quote

The process is fairly simple. If you are buying a gun you will have to send a signed copy of the receiving dealer's FFL (your local dealer). The receiving dealer is responsible for the background check and transfer paperwork and charges a fee for this service. Payment is usually made with "certified" funds, that would be a Postal money order or bank cashiers check. You could send the funds by certified mail with a return request so you know that the funds were delivered.

As far as getting "screwed", if it is a private sale you kind of take your chances. You will have a name and address, get a phone number and call. Make sure the seller is familiar with the process as well. If you don’t feel comfortable with the deal, don’t do it (a little anxiety would be normal). If the seller seems open and honest, he probably is. Ask for an inspection period, make sure you know what you are buying, most problems are caused by a lack of communication.

It you are buying from a dealer, the procedure is the same but you could ask on this board if anyone has done business with them in the past.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]Use a U.S. Postal Money Order!!!!![/b]  USPS M.O. are protected, if it was to get lost, stolen or returned you can get a refund.  If you were to have a bad deal then the seller will have committed mail fraud and the P.O. will aid in the investigation.  Send payment certified mail so you have signed confirmation of arrival.  Fill both m.o. and certified mail slip out completely including the 'For' section of the m.o. (example - RRA Ltd. Ed. AR15.com rifle).  

Like stated above - [b]Call, ask detailed questions about the item, ask 'are there any problems with this firearm that you (seller) have experienced or know about?'[/b]  Send a copy of his e-mails containing any descriptions of the item and the terms of the deal.  Print and keep a copy of the origanal for sale post.  Keep all incoming and out going e-mails.

Ask for confirmation of payment arrival and to confirm when order goes out.  Ask how it will ship and if you could get a tracking #.

I've been buying and selling online for awhile now and only have a couple of complaints but nothing severe and thankfully nothing that didn't get resolved quickly.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll need to find a FFL holder that will do the transfer for a reasonable amount.  Call local dealers and pawn shops to see what they charge.  DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT YOU PAID FOR THE FIREARM, look only for a flat fee transfer charge, I would pay no more than $25!!!!  Some dealers say they have to have 10-15% of the the firearms value, that is just absurd, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THAT DEALER!!!  
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks alot for your help.  I feel a little better and assured.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top