Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2013 6:21:55 AM EDT
In preparation for my dads 71st birthday I decided to put a shadow box of Grandpas WWII medals together.

Grandpa served from 11-22-43 to 12-4-45 in the USN. He didn't see much in the way of combat since he served on a repair ship. He was Machinist Mate(inside repair) which means he was an actual machinist. In the process of determining what medals and ribbons he was entitled to wear I learned that he was a machinist for Remington Arms in Salt Lake City prior to enlisting. Grandpa passed away six years ago and I miss him every day. Grandpa didn't have a lot of decorations but according to his service record he was an outstanding sailor in the service of his country. The three shell casings are the blanks fired during his funeral gun salute.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice. I have never seen a shadow box with spent shell casings fired during a 21 gun salute. Simple elegant and unique!
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thumbs up OP.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In preparation for my dads 71st birthday I decided to put a shadow box of Grandpas WWII medals together.

Grandpa served from 11-22-43 to 12-4-45 in the USN. He didn't see much in the way of combat since he served on a repair ship. He was Machinist Mate(inside repair) which means he was an actual machinist. In the process of determining what medals and ribbons he was entitled to wear I learned that he was a machinist for Remington Arms in Salt Lake City prior to enlisting. Grandpa passed away six years ago and I miss him every day. Grandpa didn't have a lot of decorations but according to his service record he was an outstanding sailor in the service of his country. The three shell casings are the blanks fired during his funeral gun salute.

<a href="http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/DamascusKnifemaker/media/Shadowboxc_zps9ea0447c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb435/DamascusKnifemaker/Shadowboxc_zps9ea0447c.jpg</a>

That is really cool

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Very cool & I thank your granddad for his service.

Both my grandfathers served in WW2, one for 33 years & got out as a CW04, he had three ships shot out from under him.
Living in FL he used to love offshore fishing & we joked with him that him & ships did not have a good track record.

I've tried several times to get there military records so I could do somthing like that but have never been able to get the info. From pictures I know my one grandfather had medals that went just about to his shoulder boards.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Your grandfather answered his country's call, and apparently did his best at what he was asked to do, where he was asked to do it.  Few do more; many do far less.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for sharing OP.  

Sly
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#9]
This just started my day great OP!!  Appreciate you taking the time to show us. Your grandpa is a true hero for answering the call to serve his country and he did with honor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top