Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2013 10:30:10 AM EDT
The Dalai Lama, visiting New Orleans for the first time Friday, expressed condolences to victims.

"Nonviolence is the only way of solving problems," he told reporters before addressing a gathering at the city's convention center.

"The real gun control, ultimately it comes here," the Dalai Lama said, pointing at his heart.

Hit the nail right on the head, not guns, not politics, but culture

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Except he would take your guns and make you defend your life with your heart.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Fail.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
-Dali Lama.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I actually like the guy but it is hard to take advice on managing life's conflicts from a man who is on the run from other men who are currently occupying his country and torturing his followers
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."-Dali Lama.

Cavedog you are the man, but that quote goes like this: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it is reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg." -Dalai Lama
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I actually like the guy but it is hard to take advice on managing life's conflicts from a man who is on the run from other men who are currently occupying his country and torturing his followers

Well, you can't say he doesn't practice what he preaches

Really though, I don't think he was talking about "culture" OP; I'm pretty sure he was talking about personal morals/intentions.

He's big on promoting peace and harmony through individual change ya know

Speed

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I actually like the guy
but it is hard to take advice on managing life's conflicts from a man who is on the run from other men who are currently occupying his country and torturing his followers

I never have.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, IIRC, the Dalai Lama asked a whole bunch of countries to send guns, and troops, and tanks to help them defeat the Chi-Coms, but India had just got it's independence, and the rest of the world was pretty tuckered out from WWII to want to help

The CIA gives him money for being an enemy of China

Speed
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Victims of what? That mass shooting that didn't happen on Sunday?

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."-Dali Lama.

Cavedog you are the man, but that quote goes like this: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it is reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg." -Dalai Lama

I never shoot at the head...

Haha.  You are correct.  I had stopped reading when I got to the part about shooting back.  It fit my a-g-e-n-d-a.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#10]
He's a better man than most of politicians.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#11]
That's racist!
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail.

Sure, we should absolutely cultivate the rule of law and a general respect for life, things that are genuinely missing in many facets of civilization, and then maybe most people will get along and help one another out, perhaps. But there are always going to be people who don't care, don't like you, would just as soon as kill you and take your stuff, or pay someone else to do it, and when you encounter those people, the only thing that gives you a chance to live peacefully, is the threat of force. If the bad people feel like they will suffer, greatly or otherwise, they leave you alone, and if they mistake or misjudge the threat, or see no threat, then you'd better be ready to defend yourself. And when that happens, I hope not to shoot where it won't end the action.

So, he's wrong. Just because someone famous or held in esteem by popular culture says something, doesn't make them right or even worthy of agreeing with.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail.

Sure, we should absolutely cultivate the rule of law and a general respect for life, things that are genuinely missing in many facets of civilization, and then maybe most people will get along and help one another out, perhaps. But there are always going to be people who don't care, don't like you, would just as soon as kill you and take your stuff, or pay someone else to do it, and when you encounter those people, the only thing that gives you a chance to live peacefully, is the threat of force. If the bad people feel like they will suffer, greatly or otherwise, they leave you alone, and if they mistake or misjudge the threat, or see no threat, then you'd better be ready to defend yourself. And when that happens, I hope not to shoot where it won't end the action.

So, he's wrong. Just because someone famous or held in esteem by popular culture says something, doesn't make them right or even worthy of agreeing with.

He is correct, because it's not the guns, nor is it the pollitics, but it is the people. That's what I inferred from his statement. If a person decides to arm rob a 7-11 because he has a drug priblem or even just predisposed to a life of crime, it is not the gun's, nor the laws but it is the person himself that chose to  rob, wound or kill anyone. A person who has a "good" heart would never resort to violence with any weapon unless faced as you say by an evil person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top