at the Michigan State Police Training Academy early Sunday afternoon,
May 12, 2013.  Eighty recruits and their families were invited to a
family orientation.  They were addressed by speakers, Sgt. Kevin Rod,
Capt. Kari L. Kusmierz, Sgt. Kandyce Herr, Dr. Robert Wolford, and
Chaplain Peter Nickel.  Final instructions were given by Sgt. Kandyce
Herr.

Each of the recruits and their families were provided tours of
the Training Academy.  They left orientation with instructions to
report back to the Training Academy steps at 5:00 p.m. sharp.

Having
said their goodbyes to friends and family, at 5:00 p.m. eighty recruits
lined the sidewalks standing at attention in front of the Training
Academy.  Filled with nervous anxiety and anticipation, the recruits
began their journey with the goal of becoming a Michigan State Police
Trooper.

The recruits first received a message from Sgt. Herr, the
125th Trooper Recruit School Commander, with family and friends watching
from a distance.  Sgt. Herr gave the command, "Secure your gear” and
they marched into the training academy as recruits of the 125th Michigan
State Police Trooper Recruit School.

The recruits had many tasks
before the day was over.  They were measured for uniforms, received
physical training gear, mugs, legal/first aid books and other required
equipment.  They received room keys and were directed to their rooms to
dress in their utility uniform, stow their gear and assemble in the
north stairwell.  As a class, for the first time the recruits marched to
the auditorium where they were given further instruction by Sgt. Herr.
The recruits’ night was not yet complete, though. They returned to
their rooms to organize their belongings, equipment and room according
to policy under the watchful eyes of the temporary staff.  

Taps was
played at 10:00 p.m., signaling the end of day one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Aah, the bittersweet beginning...
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Uniforms look like something out of the 1920s, needs more cargo pockets...
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sound alike first day of bct except less yelling, getting smoked, and a facility tour by friends and family
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Police Academies acting like military basic training kills me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sound alike first day of bct except less yelling, getting smoked, and a facility tour by friends and family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rupYq5j7vC8

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
3rd pic, guy on left, one of my best friends.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Everybody run!!!!

It's the cops!!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I guess I was part of the new army...but they couldn't smoke us until we did all of our medical processing.  All they could make us do at the very beginning was like 20 p.u at a time
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Revenue Enhancement Corps
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Revenue Enhancement Corps

Meh, MSP are full service, unlike many State agencies that are Highway Patrols.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh I'm sure they got smoked just not in front of the media.  I graduated from the Indiana State Police Academy in 2008 and it is not fun.  We got smoked almost daily for 6 months.  Our academy has about a 50% dropout rate.  My class started with 80 and we graduated 46.  Its pretty intense even during the f.t.o. phase after the academy.  And yes there is lots of yelling.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Shaved heads appears not to be mandatory- since I can see at least 2 who don't have shaved heads- so why did they do that?  Serious question.

ETA:  On closer inspection, non-shaved heads appear to belong to women.  Still....  
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Shaved heads appears not to be mandatory- since I can see at least 2 who don't have shaved heads- so why did they do that?  Serious question.

Women.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Women.

Yeah their shirts seemed flatter the first time around....
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Are they already COP's? I have heard some state police have to already be officers in that state with a flawless record. Off to google.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Are they already COP's? I have heard some state police have to already be officers in that state with a flawless record. Off to google.

http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I'm sure they got smoked just not in front of the media.  I graduated from the Indiana State Police Academy in 2008 and it is not fun.  We got smoked almost daily for 6 months.  Our academy has about a 50% dropout rate.  My class started with 80 and we graduated 46.  Its pretty intense even during the f.t.o. phase after the academy.  And yes there is lots of yelling.

Yah I can guarantee you your academy was nothing like my Basic training, Infantry school, RIP school, Ranger School, Jump School and SERE School!!!!  The drop out rate for basic training in the Army is about 14%.  Ranger school is about 45-50%, SERE School is about 30%.

If your drop out rate is almost 50% for a police academy I'm sure it would be even more for basic and other army schools. My police academy back in 2004 was a 10 week joke of a course.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No. They will hire you off the street with no police experience. If you are already a sworn michigan cop you still have to go through their entire academy.

MSP is a very respected agency here BTW.

Fun fact. Their indoor shooting range is capable of handling .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. They will hire you off the street with no police experience. If you are already a sworn michigan cop you still have to go through their entire academy.

I might have been mistaken about a conversation about Texas Rangers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Those are dress uniforms.
Most dress uniforms do not have cargo pockets.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You should attend one after going through boot camp.

The academics are no joke.....but the stress level is comedy IME....
3rd phase Marine boot camp, 1 week before graduation had higher stress levels than the police academy.
Yet, there were still some people who quit due to the stress.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Hair?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are dress uniforms.

Most dress uniforms do not have cargo pockets.

Unless bomb squad, K-9 handler, or some other special unit, I've never seen a Trooper on duty in anything less than class "A's". And the dress uniform is just a Class A with a coat and Sam Browne belt.
Class A

Utility uniform.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup

Butt hurt? A police officer goes through a much more rigorous selection process, than any member of the armed forces. I know you can't accept it, but it's fact.

They are turned lose on the American public with the power to not only restrain individual liberty, but to take lives. They require a high degree of self discipline, self confidence, esprit de corps, and motivation. The problem with American LE, is not more military type training, it is less military type training. The best agencies have the most strict and paramilitary academies

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

lol the guardsmen i work with would say his time at fort sill was alot easier then his 12 weeks at BLE

MEPS wasn't as detailed as my physical and background detail for the LE job....

crossfit....get some go again, well unless the crossfit guys are trying to be .mil
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Those uniforms...

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yah I can guarantee you your academy was nothing like my Basic training, Infantry school, RIP school, Ranger School, Jump School and SERE School!!!!  The drop out rate for basic training in the Army is about 14%.  Ranger school is about 45-50%, SERE School is about 30%.

If your drop out rate is almost 50% for a police academy I'm sure it would be even more for basic and other army schools. My police academy back in 2004 was a 10 week joke of a course.

I can assure you that the MSP Academy is far longer and worse than simply Army basic training. It's not meant to be Ranger training so I won't comment on that.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Its been that way since day one.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Those uniforms...

this....how you sposed to fight someone in that BS
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Those uniforms...

Hush. You've probably hit more deer than the entire MSP.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those uniforms...

this....how you sposed to fight someone in that BS

Someone said they were dress uniforms.

Which is ok.. I guess.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Those uniforms...

Hush. You've probably hit more deer than the entire MSP.

Hey now...
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#36]
racist! all i see is white people
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don"t some go through and become local or county cops in MI?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#38]
That's a joke alot of my buddies joined police agencies after they got out and said it was nothing compared to BCT I'm active duty 31B military police
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#39]
The MSP website actually has a listof recruits and their hometowns.

Looks like there are possibly 9 women, with 3-4 names being difficult to tell if they're male or female.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That's a joke alot of my buddies joined police agencies after they got out and said it was nothing compared to BCT I'm active duty 31B military police

Had two Marines and an Army guy in my class.

They said they would have rather gone through basic again.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#41]
The MSP is the only law enforcement agency I've encountered that has fit, polite, and well mannered officers. I can't say the same for the county Sheriff or the local yokels around here. However I see them almost exclusively patrolling the highways and freeways, creating revenue.

Edit: You guys who make fun of the uniforms and the gumballs on the cars are just jealous of Michigan's awesomeness. (Detroit is no longer part of Michigan)
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

You do realize much of the actual content of training is based on the individual state standards, schools and agencies right?
Blanket statements in regards to police training are hardly applicable.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The MSP is the only law enforcement agency I've encountered that has fit, polite, and well mannered officers. I can't say the same for the county Sheriff or the local yokels around here. However I see them almost exclusively patrolling the highways and freeways, creating revenue.

Depends on where you are at.

In a lot of Northern counties, MSP are the only 24 hour police service available.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I spot some fatbodies
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I spot some fatbodies

PT should straighten them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ371xlUf90

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had two Marines and an Army guy in my class.

They said they would have rather gone through basic again.

Marine Corps bootcamp was pretty much a joke. As long as you arrive in decent physical condition, and can put up with being yelled at, you've got it dicked. The academics in any U.S. armed forces basic training are pretty much elementary school level. It's no great accomplishment graduating from bootcamp/basic training. Seriously, Gents. Look back at the pathetic douchebags that didn't make it. Did they ever really stand a chance? No. They were fucked up before day one.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

In a lot of Northern counties, MSP are the only 24 hour police service available.

You're right, but I don't get up there too often. Those Yooper folks are almost Canadian.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, but I don't get up there too often. Those Yooper folks are almost Canadian.

Say ya to the UP eh?
Not even that far North. I'm talking North of US-10 or M-55.

The

Benzie County Sheriff was pushing for new deputies just a few weeks ago to get full coverage, and Benzie County is 30 minutes from Traverse City.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Butt hurt? A police officer goes through a much more rigorous selection process, than any member of the armed forces. I know you can't accept it, but it's fact.
They are turned lose on the American public with the power to not only restrain individual liberty, but to take lives. They require a high degree of self discipline, self confidence, esprit de corps, and motivation. The problem with American LE, is not more military type training, it is less military type training. The best agencies have the most strict and paramilitary academies

you have two cops and vets above you agreeing that the military style boot camps are a joke.....

....i just dont see the point, they are there to learn not get brainwashed....unlike the military where all real learning comes later
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup

you have two cops and vets above you agreeing that the military style boot camps are a joke.....

....i just dont see the point, they are there to learn not get brainwashed....unlike the military where all real learning comes later

It's more about esprit de corps and good order and discipline.  State Police is a bit different here. I would guess that Texas DPS and a couple of other state departments are similar.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top