Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/29/2013 6:02:22 AM EDT
UPDATE 4/23: THREAD IS A MONTH OLD, I REVIVED IT TO BITCH ABOUT A DIFFERENT ISSUE ON THE 2nd PAGE.

-------------------------------------

They finally decided to update us to Office 2010 (3 years late) so they pushed that out last night.

I, and a few other people in my group, got it without any issues. One guy didn't get it, and another got it but IT didn't uninstall Office 2007 so now he has both.

They still have everyone using Communicator 2007 instead of Lync.

They installed Office 2010 without any updates, so now I'm spending time this morning updating my laptop.

This is but one of many issues we have with IT. Please tell me your IT department is better than ours...or tell me your tales of woe.

First World Problem, I know.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Being IT at a hospital, running Meditech C/S EHR, I'm still using Office 2003.....

But the bright news is, ARFCOM is moving to Dallas. This made my day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Our IT rocks..but its hard for them to keep up..I work for a VERY VERY unique company thoough Im sooooo sick of our Outlook though it takes me forever to send an email..and 5 minutes to load in and outbox
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to say that my IT department is better than yours, but my IT department is me, and I'm a jerk.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#4]
why do you care if you have lync or communicator?   why do you care what version of office you have?   are you just one of those annoying people that want it because it is new?   or is there a feature you need?
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Was there a feature in 2010 that you had to have 3 years ago?
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Outsourced.
Incompetent.
Overwhelmed.

They also hold the contacts for our hardware, and refuse to get me what I need to process MARS and CART modeling on large data sets in less than a full business day's time.  

They have absurd (any varying) pw expiration rules in place by system and resets/unlocks take anywhere from 30 minutes to two days depending on the security level of the system in question.

I detest them, but some genius locked us into a 10 year deal 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Self employed for 13 years using iMacs, so no IT service has ever been required.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm the server admin at my faculty, we rock
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Our Windows 7 migration project is 2 years in the running.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I literally haven't done anything today except download 3-years worth of updates for Office 2010 and go to one meeting.  Seriously...49 updates, 3 restarts, ~700MB of updates.

To answer questions as to why we upgraded: apparently there's some issue with Outlook 2007 and shared inboxes that was addressed with Outlook 2010. Other than that I was good with 2007.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I don't really understand, who cares if you use Lync.  While it does seem strange to push Office 2010 out without any updates (being that Office 2010 has been out for a while so the updates should have been tested in the roll out).  The thing that makes me question your IT department is that they allow you to do updates.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#12]
We're slow on upgrades, always behind on things, I'd say it doesn't matter but it has an effect.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah I don't really understand, who cares if you use Lync.  While it does seem strange to push Office 2010 out without any updates (being that Office 2010 has been out for a while so the updates should have been tested in the roll out).  The thing that makes me question your IT department is that they allow you to do updates.

we have software that allows updates for certain products.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Communicator works fine, I just thought it was odd that they would upgrade the entire Office suite except that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I am the IT at my office...I do what I want to.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm also an administrator account on my computer. I think everyone else is, too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Communicator works fine, I just thought it was odd that they would upgrade the entire Office suite except that.

if you have voip,  it isn't as easy as just updating the clients.   there is a lot more, depending on how integrated it is
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Self employed for 13 years using iMacs, so no IT service has ever been required.

For a small law firm, that works great. For a large publicly-traded multinational corporation...that wouldn't work so well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also an administrator account on my computer. I think everyone else is, too.

Just FYI,  Office is just software that runs on your computer to upgrade from OCS 2007 to Lync they would have to build a new server (or upgrade the current one) so it's a bit more work.

Surprised they let you guys be admins, that just yells trouble haha
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#21]
We're currently still upgrading people to Office 2007 from 2003. Can't get the go ahead from our in house programmers and CIO to deploy Windows 7 yet either. XP EOL will be way too soon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#22]
IT is a cost center at most companies, so there is an element that is forgotten by most users. IT doesn't make a profit at most companies;
they can make your life easier or harder, but there usually isn't a direct relation to profit. That being said, most decision-makers are not
going to spend the money it takes to keep up with the latest and greatest like most of do at home. Secure and operational is the goal. I've
seen companies that are using 30 year-old technology because "it works". Can't blame them because updates cost money and most users
hate change.

Upgrades are a second issue, altogether; any upgrade period small or large is usually plagued with the unknowns. Those unknowns are
what keeps IT management up at night leading up to that upgrade. There will always be unhappy users and your bosses are users who will
be unhappy. I've had users get pissed the update removed an icon from their desktop and replaced it with a "different one". You get to where
you stop listening to it because it would drive you nuts otherwise. That is where IT folks start to seem like jerks and unresponsive.

Your IT department seems like it is going through the normal growing pains of and update. I no longer work on IT issues like that, but I
remember it well. I remember being up for days trying to sort issues out, but that is part of the job.

None of this is an excuse for poor performance, but most IT folks are doing what they can to keep their users happy in the end.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't have one. I contract out all our IT work but we have
a great company that does our work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Our IT guy is great.  When you have a video card go bad, he replaces the whole computer.   If we have a problem, he has us call a 'support line' that he pays for every month.  Dont know what he has on the owner but if hes an IT guy, I have a 12" dick.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Office 2003 was the last good office suite from MS.  The ribbon interface is dildos. Also, XP was the last best OS from MS and it was only decent.

That said, the last job I worked that needed a local IT dept, I was it, I was under equipped, under supported, and expected to perform instant miracles.  I got sick of working on computers instead of working with computers so I have since changed my personal computer choice to Macs and my current job is basically no computers, my next job has an IT dept which means I won't have to deal with all the BS of MS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Delete Boot.whatever

"oops"
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#27]
We have one guy that is a self taught IT person that does a pretty good job at most of it. The main problem is our system is 1980's technology and he is depndent on one programmer that is 63 years old to do any modifications for us. Our internal system is so dated its ridiculous.

Now on the PC end Im still running windows 98 on a couple of my systems in the plant and my system is so dated in cant open newer files in office/excel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd like to say that my IT department is better than yours, but my IT department is me, and I'm a jerk.

WERD

Our "network team" is currently surfing Arf GD.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We have one guy that is a self taught IT person that does a pretty good job at most of it. The main problem is our system is 1980's technology and he is depndent on one programmer that is 63 years old to do any modifications for us. Our internal system is so dated its ridiculous.

Now on the PC end Im still running windows 98 on a couple of my systems in the plant and my system is so dated in cant open newer files in office/excel.

Holee crap! I'm responsible for about 600+ PCs on my network. We haven't had a single Win 98 PC for AT LEAST ten years!
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They finally decided to update us to Office 2010 (3 years late) so they pushed that out last night.

I, and a few other people in my group, got it without any issues. One guy didn't get it, and another got it but IT didn't uninstall Office 2007 so now he has both.

They installed Office 2010 without any updates, so now I'm spending time this morning updating my laptop.

This is but one of many issues we have with IT. Please tell me your IT department is better than ours...or tell me your tales of woe.

PM me.... I can fix those issues NP. My hourly is reasonable (somewhat) lulz.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Our it department thinks a power user's laptop should have 12 anti virus programs, 15 proxies and FDE all running on a 5400rpm 160g disk.
It's a good thing I don't do anything on it :)
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I work from home, using a system of Citrix, Avaya IP agent, and Nectarphone to do my job.   We just moved from MS Outlook Webmail to Gmail, and we are using AIM() for our communication purposes to chat with our managers and my teammates/coworkers.  I have Office 2010 Starter on my personal work use laptop.

Our tech support is a mix of American based and OS(Indian) based.  My biggest gripe is we have no customer side tech support.  Whenever a customer calls in and can't use our website and "I am trying to order but the page doesn't load" I have no person to send them to fix it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'd agree with that.  Letting users search for and install any updates on their own is akin to inviting Joe Biden over to have a look at your gun safe.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just FYI,  Office is just software that runs on your computer to upgrade from OCS 2007 to Lync they would have to build a new server (or upgrade the current one) so it's a bit more work.

Surprised they let you guys be admins, that just yells trouble haha

Over the past two decades, I've found that in general, allowing my users local admin privileges on their PCs generally saves ME a lot of hassle and time. Sure, there are problem users out there that we've had to lock down. But Microsoft security has always had a funny way of allowing Guest or Restricted users the ability to install all kinds of malicious, or invasive software... but keep them from doing their basic job duties. So where I work, the user is generally treated like an adult until they prove they cannot be trusted.

We recently went to Kaspersky Security Center and I'm finding some nice abilities to lock-down users from doing stupid things through a central management location there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Our IT department is wonderful.  My help tickets get addressed the same day, our computers run faster after each software update, broken components are fixed in a timely manner... really we never have any problems that the IT boys don't jump right on and fix.  I really can't say enough good things about them.

My only teeney-tiny issue with them is they sometimes monitor the internet traffic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#37]
We have probably 300 in our IS/IT dept but the company has 25,000 people so yeah. They usually do a pretty good job but software is from the debil so you get a stinker every so often. Meh, you deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I literally haven't done anything today except download 3-years worth of updates for Office 2010 and go to one meeting.  Seriously...49 updates, 3 restarts, ~700MB of updates.

To answer questions as to why we upgraded: apparently there's some issue with Outlook 2007 and shared inboxes that was addressed with Outlook 2010. Other than that I was good with 2007.
i got a new macpro and have been installing apps and running updates all day   i have done no real work today.  Migration assistant helped a bit but it doesnt get along with adobe products very well.

my company has no it dept so that usually falls on me or the art director

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I am IT.  They use XP I use WIN 7.  They on office 07. Me on 2010. It's nice being that IT guy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Coolest bunch of nerds you will ever meet.  Great group of guys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Our Windows 7 migration project is 2 years in the running.  

We are 6 months into ours. 1 computer left out of 100
If SCCM worked where we are at it would've taken maybe a week.

Oh and its just me and another guy doing our IT stuff.  We really love fielding the new computers to ourselves first. You know, to work out any bugs
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holee crap! I'm responsible for about 600+ PCs on my network. We haven't had a single Win 98 PC for AT LEAST ten years!

The only Win98 PC we have here is the one on my desk I keep for nostalgia purposes. It's an old DELL XL 590. I mainly keep it around because it has a floppy drive, and twice a year, like clockwork, someone shows up with a floppy they need data off of.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Our IT department is wonderful.  My help tickets get addressed the same day, our computers run faster after each software update, broken components are fixed in a timely manner... really we never have any problems that the IT boys don't jump right on and fix.  I really can't say enough good things about them.

My only teeney-tiny issue with them is they sometimes monitor the internet traffic.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Office 2003 on Windows XP.  I'm a little jealous.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We just got rid of one that was running a CNC plasma burner out in the shop. Out there in 120F heat and the cold 24/7 with all the dust and getting banged on and lasted this long.

Of course I am the IT guy, also the owner as well. I fall in the if it works don't screw with it category.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Office 2003 on Windows XP.  I'm a little jealous.

Our engineers were using XP until a few months ago due to some incompatibility between 7 and some in-house software.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The only Win98 PC we have here is the one on my desk I keep for nostalgia purposes. It's an old DELL XL 590. I mainly keep it around because it has a floppy drive, and twice a year, like clockwork, someone shows up with a floppy they need data off of.

I finally gave-up on the "lost floppy people" several years ago and ditched the last tower with a floppy.

Now that I think about it though... we did buy an external USB floppy drive to deal with those situations. Dunno where it's at though.

Took me years to get rid of my "Superdisk" tower. Had a bunch of those superdisks for it as well. Rarely ever used it. But just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it since they were such a lead forward at the time. Crap... when I started here we used to use those huge 8" floppies on our mainframe (no... not the 5 1/4" ones... the EIGHT inch plus ones).

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

FWIW, we only monitor internet traffic when asked to, for a specific person - usually to confirm what's already known.

Honestly? You could be looking at porn all day, for all I (and most others in IT) give a shit. I mean it too - as a rule, we really don't give a flying fuck.

It only becomes a problem, when something you're doing is causing me a problem (malware, network disruption, etc).

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top