Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2013 3:21:57 PM EDT
I had two checks made payable to me.

I signed the checks over to a relative... (pay to the order of.. and signed it on the back) they put it in the nite deposit at the bank - which we've done several times in the past year with zero problems- bank calls back- says they won't take the deposit (even though one of the checks is drawn on THEIR bank) and says they'll shred the checks if we don't pick them up by 4PM.

I think that's illegal for them to refuse the deposit and then threaten to shred my check.

can anyone weigh ion on this ?? Is the bank bound under the UCC section 3-110??

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
What was the reason for not accepting the check?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What was the reason for not accepting the check?

It was "third party"....
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I had s checks made payable to me.

I signed the checks over to a relative... (pay to the order of.. and signed it on the back) they put it in the nite deposit at the bank - which we've done several times in the past year with zero problems- bank calls back- says they won't take the deposit (even though one of the checks is drawn on THEIR bank) and says they'll shred the checks if we don't pick them up by 4PM.

I think that's illegal for them to refuse the deposit and then threaten to shred my check.

can anyone weigh ion on this ?? Is the bank bound under the UCC section 3-110??

There is no law or regulation that says a bank must accept your check.  They can even close your account at anytime if they want. If you and your relative go to the bank while there open it shouldn't be a problem.  There problem is that how do they know your relative didn't take your check and sign it over to them.  It doesn't matter if you have done it several times in the past.  The bank may have changed there rules, someone got in trouble for not following their rules or you got someone new checking the night deposit.  It is bad customer service to say that they will shred the check if you don't pick it up by 4.  If you can't get there in time call the manager and I am sure they might give you some more time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Bank is a private company - they don't have to do anything.

You should have either deposited it in your own account & wrote a new check to your relative; or showed up at the bank yourself, presented your ID, & cashed it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes they can refuse it. They've been getting burned by them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You should have either deposited it in your own account & wrote a new check to your relative; or showed up at the bank yourself, presented your ID, & cashed it.

Not true.

Now banks want to charge a fee for cashing their own checks!! or they want you to have an account there...or nine forms of ID and a DNA sample.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes they can refuse it. They've been getting burned by them.

It's for DEPOSIT. There were sufficient funds in there to cover it if it bounced- how are they more at risk than if I just wrote a check and the relative deposited it??
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#8]
How'd you sign it third party?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.   We will not take any third party checks.  We are not required to take any check presented for deposit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Laws changed after 9/11
Bank has the option but most refuse, for several reasons.
Many third party instruments and checks with low numbers (101-199 and "starter checks") are a giant Red Flag.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.

Now banks want to charge a fee for cashing their own checks!! or they want you to have an account there...or nine forms of ID and a DNA sample.

Correct.
You're not their customer & you're circumventing their fees.
You can thank the Patriot Act for all the ID's & paperwork the banks have to keep on file when they do business with you.
It's also a little weird that you're not just depositing it in your own account.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder how this is different than a bank not making funds available after a deposit??

I wrote pay too the order of:
relative's name
endorsed it

so how is that different then me writing a check to the relative??
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Banks can be a Major PITA.
The wife had State of Ohio tax refund check, with both our names on it.
Her bank would not cash it unless I joined her account, blank them.
So, went to my bank, was handed cash, no problem.
Setting  her up with an account to the bank I deal with.
We have our own, separate accounts, bussiness reasons and such.
To lose a Great account for less than $300.00?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder how this is different than a bank not making funds available after a deposit??

relative's name
endorsed it

Because your name & signature isn't on the front of the check.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I just deposit checks using my phone, much easier than screwing around w/ the bank or even atm.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you have your own checking account?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just deposit checks using my phone, much easier than screwing around w/ the bank or even atm.

Just about to say that. I love this feature. But even the deposit through ATM is easier than going to an actual teller, no human factor involved
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

relative's name
endorsed it

Because your name & signature isn't on the front of the check. [/qu

The checks were both payable to me and I endorsed the back.

One of the checks was even drawn on their own bank..
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

relative's name

endorsed it

You wrote 2 checks, FROM you TO you... and you had another family member endorse it and try to deposit it into their account?

Why didn't you just make the check out to them?

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just about to say that. I love this feature. But even the deposit through ATM is easier than going to an actual teller, no human factor involved

There is a fairy low amount above which it won't allow checks to be deposited by phone...I'm thinking its about 4 or 5 thousand bucks. It's funny that a auto-teller machine will take it though.

I presume were talking about Chase?

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess the 3rd party thing is in response to checks being stolen out of mailboxes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Dealing with this shit everyday gives me a headache.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Things have recently changed.  

In the collision industry vehicle owners with 1 party insurance checks would just sign the checks to the bodyshop for deposit.  Within the last 2 years that has changed, checks need to be issued 2 party, or if issued to the vehicle owner they must deposit into their own bank and write a check.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

relative's name
endorsed it

You wrote 2 checks, FROM you TO you... and you had another family member endorse it and try to deposit it into their account?

Someone wrote a check to him.  He tried to transfer that check to a relative by endorsing it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#28]
With 3rd party checks, for up to three years the named payee,[ie. you] can claim you did not recieve benefit and the bank is abligated to reimburse the drawee bank.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Need to change the thread title:   "How do I know when to close my account and take my business to another bank."
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

relative's name
endorsed it

No, the checks are from someone else to the OP.
The OP wants to deposit the money into his relative's account instead of his own.
The bank said no.
OP thinks signing this check over to someone else is the same as writing someone a check - it is not.

The OP has the following solutions available;
- Deposit in his own account.
- Cash at window of original check writer's bank & pay a bank fee.
- Open his own account at this bank & make the deposit without the fee.
- Have himself added to his relative's account & make the deposit.
- Contact the original check writer & have them replace the check with a new one payable to his relative.

OP doesn't like any of those solutions.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I will usually accept them for small amounts as long as both parties are present with valid id's.  Larger amounts are a no go.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Banks can be a Major PITA.
The wife had State of Ohio tax refund check, with both our names on it.
Her bank would not cash it unless I joined her account, blank them.
So, went to my bank, was handed cash, no problem.
Setting  her up with an account to the bank I deal with.
We have our own, separate accounts, bussiness reasons and such.
To lose a Great account for less than $300.00?

.gov checks are to be deposited into or cashed against accounts titled the same as the check was written.  Your bank overlooked that and is liable should it ever come back.  Both parties have to have equal access to the funds.   If you ever pull the eject handle she has 3 years to go to the bank and say she did not approve the transaction and will win because the .gov check was cashed against an acct that both parties were not joint signers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#33]
No its not illegal. UCC simply states that that is an acceptable endorsement. It does not bind the bank to accepting the check for deposit. In fact, the bank is not bound to accept anything for deposit. Bank's are only regulated by Reg CC which governs how long they can hold an item for collection that has been accepted. Don't like their policy, change banks. By the way, yes, I am a banker and have been for a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top