Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/23/2013 3:32:47 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I have not checked in here in a long while but thought I'd check out ammo prices.  I nearly had a heart attack!  I know the US govt. dept homeland security purchased 1.4 billions rounds of ammo last year in addition to other agencies stockpiling ammo.  Was this done to dry up the market and create shortages and price spikes?  Or is this also being driven by US citizens trying to buy ammo?

I started stocking up during Caligula Clinton's reign.  I am well supplied in .308, .223 and numerous pistol calibers in the range of 30,000 rounds.  It's in ammo cans with aluminum desiccant canisters.  

I just cannot get over the prices I am reading for M193 and M855 ammo!  And even at that nothing is in stock!  What do you guys know about the details of the ammo shortage?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
welcome to last month brother.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If none of your pistol caliber ammo is 22lr, you're more screwed than you think...
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
What Island have you been lost on for the past few weeks?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Actually, I'm jealous.  I wish i forget all of the price gouging among the community.  Ignorance is bliss...

Don't tell him about Lance...
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm lving on Long Island.  Part of the Guinea Governor Mussolini's new dictatorship!  Like I said I have been inactive for a long time.  But I did plan ahead years ago.

What's the deal with .22 LR ammo?  I have some but not a lot.

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Prices were put on a shoulder thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
How much does that rock you been living under weigh?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey caveman, you just thaw out?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
You are aware of your state has done , correct ?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm lving on Long Island.  Part of the Guinea Governor Mussolini's new dictatorship!  Like I said I have been inactive for a long time.  But I did plan ahead years ago.

First, there is hardly any to be had in bulk, at retail or online.  

22lr and 9mm were the first calibers to go, though 9mm is still out there a bit.  these are cheap calibers to shoot in the AR, so guys grabbed them up quickly. 22lr is the caliber of choice among a lot of preppers for when the SHTF.  You can hunt with it and also dispatch rodents quietly with it.  22lr has been selling for 300-400% increase, with guys buying bricks for over $75/each.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
welcome to last month brother.

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you just come out of a coma?

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I'm jealous.  I wish i forget all of the price gouging among the community.  Ignorance is bliss...

Don't tell him about Lance...

That made me - LOL
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I have not checked in here in a long while but thought I'd check out ammo prices.  I nearly had a heart attack!  I know the US govt. dept homeland security purchased 1.4 billions rounds of ammo last year in addition to other agencies stockpiling ammo.  Was this done to dry up the market and create shortages and price spikes?  Or is this also being driven by US citizens trying to buy ammo?

I started stocking up during Caligula Clinton's reign.  I am well supplied in .308, .223 and numerous pistol calibers in the range of 30,000 rounds.  It's in ammo cans with aluminum desiccant canisters.  

I just cannot get over the prices I am reading for M193 and M855 ammo!  And even at that nothing is in stock!  What do you guys know about the details of the ammo shortage?  

Thanks!

Welcome back, OP.

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]
30k rounds? You should be selling some and sitting on the cash until the panic dies down.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#18]
They went up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You are aware of your state has done , correct ?

Yes,I am aware of the fact that the overwhelming majority who live here are comlplete morons and drones!

But what precisely are you asking me?  I am legally able to order ammo online until January 2014, magazines until April, 2013.

BTW, I am already putting plans into action to look at homes in the northern outer suburbs of Dallas, TX.

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#20]
If you haven't bought ammo since Clinton, you haven't been tracking the decline in availability of surplus ammo and the russh for any 5.56 because of potential or feared bans.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, there is hardly any to be had in bulk, at retail or online.  

22lr and 9mm were the first calibers to go, though 9mm is still out there a bit.  these are cheap calibers to shoot in the AR, so guys grabbed them up quickly. 22lr is the caliber of choice among a lot of preppers for when the SHTF.  You can hunt with it and also dispatch rodents quietly with it.  22lr has been selling for 300-400% increase, with guys buying bricks for over $75/each.

I have found this out.  Just placed an order with Brownells for three 2000 round bundles of federal .22 LR ammo in an ammo can.  It is on backorder.

As far as hunting I have 9 deer butchered and in my freezer from last year's bow  season.

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Isn't it funny that when a fellow 2nd amendment enthusiast posts an unquiry he gets pummeled with sarcastic comments?  As I said I have been inactive here for a long time.  But again I stocked up years ago when prices were lower.  Someone mentioned "Lance".  What sort of ammo is everyone out here sitting on?

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Just in case you really don't understand what happened...

School shooting in CT -----  Politicians start rattling the "AWB" sabres ----- Gun owners (old and new) go batshit crazy and buy everything that goes "BANG" -----  No Supply + Crazy Demand = Insane Prices

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]
It MIGHT be from the historic panic buy going on.

Then again - maybe not.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Isn't it funny that when a fellow 2nd amendment enthusiast posts an unquiry he gets pummeled with sarcastic comments?  As I said I have been inactive here for a long time.  But again I stocked up years ago when prices were lower.  Someone mentioned "Lance".  What sort of ammo is everyone out here sitting on?

All other influences aside, did you really expect the passage of 20 years to NOT result in higher ammo  prices simply from inflation?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
30k rounds? You should be selling some and sitting on the cash until the panic dies down.

Maybe more, really haven't tallied it up lately. I don't know it the panic will ever die down.

What I find amusing is that NOBODY addressed the reasons for the shortage that I speculated about in the original post.  DId the dept of Homeland securiity buy 1.4 billion rounds of ammo to cause a shortage?  Was that the intention?  Has the public been scrambling for the crumbs as a result?  How long has it been going on?

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe more, really haven't tallied it up lately. I don't know it the panic will ever die down.

What I find amusing is that NOBODY addressed the reasons for the shortage that I speculated about in the original post.  DId the dept of Homeland securiity buy 1.4 billion rounds of ammo to cause a shortage?  Was that the intention?  Has the public been scrambling for the crumbs as a result?  How long has it been going on?

Seriously? DHS's purchase was for training new hires and requals for all it's officers for the 2013 year. Thousands of officers will shoot hundreds of rounds throughout the year. DHS runs FLETC in Georgia.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All other influences aside, did you really expect the passage of 20 years to NOT result in higher ammo  prices simply from inflation?

I saw IMI 1200 round cases of M855 selling on WIdeners for $570 and was out of stock!  That is obscene.  I must have 4/5K of IMI ammo already in stock.  Paid less than half of that.  That is a lot of inflation!

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#29]
There isn't a shortage compared to market equilibrium, demand has just gone through the roof. Every fudd that shot 20 rounds a year out of his dear rifle has now decided to buy an AR15 and 5000 rounds of ammo. Almost overnight.

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About two months.  Obama's re-election + Sandy Hook + holiday season = epic shitstorm

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I find amusing is that you haven't looked for ammo in a long time and decided to look for it now. What do you think every other American is doing right now? Looking for ammo. There are people on the planet other than yourself, and you are not a one off. The shortage should be self evident to you.

Now, why did you decide to arbitrarily begin looking for more ammo now?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Caligula Clinton? Guinea Governor (watch out, some Italian Stallion's gonna report you)?

We be gettin' trolled yo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's what happened to ammo prices.

Obama got re-elected.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously? DHS's purchase was for training new hires and requals for all it's officers for the 2013 year. Thousands of officers will shoot hundreds of rounds throughout the year. DHS runs FLETC in Georgia.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/09/why_does_homeland_security_need_14_billion_rounds_of_ammunition.html

The Iraq wars used @70,000,000 rounds of ammo.  It would take over 20 years of what has been expended already to equal what DHS orrdered alone in 2012.  Read the article.  A tractor trailer loaded with ammo for 14 miles is what 1.4 billion rounds of ammo translated into.  There's no effing way this can be justified wiith "training".

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry. We're a bit jaded lately from the panic and the influx of know-it-all newbs and trolls. Not you of course.   After election, just like in '08, there was panic buying...and then Sandy Hook happened..  And the market went full retard. There are no guns, mags, parts, or ammo to be had. IF you find something, it will be 200-300% of pre panic pricing. People who have never had an interest in EBRs are in full panic.
The Lance reference is Lance Armstrong. Seems like you have not watched any news at all lately. You should stop by more often. GD is actually a pretty good source for news once you wade through the dupes and asshattery.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Are the same guy that posted a thread just like this in 09?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry. We're a bit jaded lately from the panic and the influx of know-it-all newbs and trolls. Not you of course.   After election, just like in '08, there was panic buying...and the Sandy Hook happened..  And the market went full retard. There are now guns, mags, parts, or ammo to be had. IF you find something, it will be 200-300% of pre panic pricing. People who have never had an interest in EBRs are in full panic.

The Lance reference is Lance Armstrong. Seems like you have not watched any news at all lately. You should stop by more often. GD is actually a pretty good source for news once you wade through the dupes and asshattery.
The crabmeat. You forgot to tell him about the crabmeat.

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I find amusing is that you haven't looked for ammo in a long time and decided to look for it now. What do you think every other American is doing right now? Looking for ammo. There are people on the planet other than yourself, and you are not a one off. The shortage should be self evident to you.

Now, why did you decide to arbitrarily begin looking for more ammo now?

Because the effing morons in tthis state have elected this Edited...VA-gunnut dictator who has passed a law putting a 1 year delay into effect.  Supposed to seek "approval" by some nameless, faceless bureaucrat starting in 2014?  I probably don't need the ammo anyway.  I just decided to look out of curiosity.

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Caligula Clinton? Guinea Governor (watch out, some Italian Stallion's gonna report you)?

We be gettin' trolled yo.

I'm a New Yorker.  I call it as I see it.  The effing lowlives in this state keep elcting these thugs.  You expect me to speak of them in favorable terms?  LOL

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey guys, I hear AR15s are really popular now. I'm having a hard time finding any....what gives?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Do you own a television? Does it work?

You've asked a stupid question, hence all the bullshit responses.

There is an entire school room full of dead kindergartners who were massacred by a guy with an AR, EVERY fucking politician who hates us has more support than ever before to fuck us and you ask why is ammo high?

Every gun store is sold out of AR's ammo and mags EVERYWHERE.

You must be trolling
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Someone that has 30K rounds and doesn't know WTF is going on?  RIght.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't worry, Scrote. My friend just paid $800 for a case of 308.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

welcome to last month 2008 brother.

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#47]
lol
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Seems odd for you to be a troll, but it kind of seems that way.  It has nothing to do with not being 'on here' for a few years, there have been some HUGE things going on in the real world.

Reasons for the current shortage and resulting high prices:

We've been fighting 2 wars for the past decade.  Ammo and reloading components have been steadily increasing in price and decreasing in availability.

Obama got elected in 2008, which caused quite an upswing in everyone buying anything that rhymed with 'Gun' or 'Bullet'  Just as that died down, he got re-elected.

Then, about a month ago, in a state close to you, a horrible mass shooting at an elementary school happened.  The Politicians and media went straight to BAN ALL GUNS mode in record time.  That caused yet another upswing in everyone buying anything that rhymed with 'Gun' or 'Bullet'.  We are still dealing with that panic, as you have discovered.  NY state leading the charge as you know.

Everyone everywhere is sold out of everything, and everything is priced stupid high.  Manufacturers are claiming to be looking at 6 months to 1 year or possibly more to simply get caught up to meet demand.

It's highly frustrating, but like you, I am sitting pretty well on most things.  I would like more .22lr, but...I have enough.  I am distracting myself from it by starting the process of ordering a Garand from the CMP.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Do you own a television? Does it work?

You've asked a stupid question, hence all the bullshit responses.

There is an entire school room full of dead kindergartners who were massacred by a guy with an AR, EVERY fucking politician who hates us has more support than ever before to fuck us and you ask why is ammo high?

Every gun store is sold out of AR's ammo and mags EVERYWHERE.

You must be trolling

yes,I've read the stories on gun stores being overwhelmed. Don't be a effing smartass!  We're dealing with real tyrants here in New York State.  Was at a pro gun rally (last minute deal) on Long Saturday.  @ 1,000 people showed up. Most of the cars, trucks, and motorcyles passing by were very supportive.  I spent days on the telephone calling every NY State Senator & Assemblyman in the downstate NY area and raised hell with them.  Also did the email thing.  The reality is most "so called" 2nd amendment supporters/gun owners in this state sat on their fat asses and did nothing!  Maybe they did not have a safe full of "semi's" like some of us  have.  So they really didn't give a damn if it affected  someone else's 2nd amendment rights.  

So this has been the final straw for many of us here in NY State.  I am leaving for Texas as soon as financially possible,

Link Posted: 1/23/2013 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Good luck, reloading components are even ridiculously priced right now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top