Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2013 5:43:17 PM EDT
I mailed a package priority mail Jan 2nd, last scan was Jan 3rd in the same state, its going out of state.  No tracking updates since then, USPS has now opened a case, whatever that means as delivery was expected Jan 4th.  Do they just scan these things at random?  I just had a USPS order from Primary Arms and it got scanned consistently every day  
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not tracking, it's delivery confirmation.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Who runs the post office again?
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So whats with the random scanning?
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Bingo
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, USPS doesn't require an item to be scanned at each location.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The PO was privatized back in the late 80's. Which is the primary reason that you can legally carry in a PO. The postal workers are the ones that can't. Ironic.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo

The govt is the grease that keeps the wheels spinning. And spinning and spinning and spinning. and so on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The PO was privatized back in the late 80's. Which is the primary reason that you can legally carry in a PO. The postal workers are the ones that can't. Ironic.

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.  It is literally delivery confirmation and nothing more.  USPS is not under any obligation to scan it at any point in the process other than when it is delivered.  Even then it may be misdelivered or just disappear and you are SOL unless you have insurance.  Don't even want to start to discuss the fuck ups I have dealt with in detail this past year in sending over 400 packages via USPS.  Everything from 14 days to go from one side of the state to the other, to a delivery driver getting a package in Texas that was meant for Florida but when he saw it in his truck to somehow be delivered on his route he magically made it disappear for 12 days until I had an investigation opened up on the package.

Fuck the USPS more than Obama.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked for the P.O. as a "casual" for awhile. I soon developed a deep seeded hate for unions. There were four there I believe. I could have run the facility with25% of the employees there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We buy a ton of shit off Amazon and UPS is always dead on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhm, NO.  Post Offices are Federal property and designated as weapon free zones. Carrying in any Post Office, leased building or not, is a crime. USPS is a government organization in America, not sure where you are referring to.  There is a reason that the Post Master General has to go to Congress to get permission to raise postal rates. That reason is because Congress is his boss. BTW, there is a limit as to how much they can raise postage any one time, thats why they only raise it 2 cents at a time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They scan it for THEIR purposes - not yours.

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We buy a ton of shit off Amazon and UPS is always dead on.

Hell the local ups guy here knows by the tape on the package if I ordered something expensive for a gun and he also knows the keypad combo to get into my truck to leave it.  Doesn't get much better than that.  Or if its icy outside and he doesn't come up the mountain, he leaves it at the LGS.  Helps that my best friend runs the place now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

USPS clearly explains their policy on their site.
Not sure why people still complain about it.
If you want tracking, use UPS or FedEx
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

good luck with that.  course its only illegal if you get caught.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#17]
LOL at all the "Molon Labe" types agonizing over carrying in the post office.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is that why they call it TRACK and Confirm?

It is an utterly worthless system. Not that it matters, but I sent them a polite email and told them whatever it costs to operate that system it is a complete waste of resources and to please just abandon the who system. I'd rather not know than see a delivery progress that is 2-3 days behind.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

FPNI
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that why they call it TRACK and Confirm?

It is an utterly worthless system. Not that it matters, but I sent them a polite email and told them whatever it costs to operate that system it is a complete waste of resources and to please just abandon the who system. I'd rather not know than see a delivery progress that is 2-3 days behind.

Because they let you "track" the last time they scanned it to meet their needs.  That means that they have not implemented a nationwide technology infrastructure (with attendant added costs to mail your package) to track it to meet your expectations

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

USPS clearly explains their policy on their site.
Not sure why people still complain about it.
If you want tracking, use UPS or FedEx

I dont see the point of having a quasi service, I mean either track it or don't.  How do they choose which packages to scan, it just doesnt make sense to me.  Im more pissed the package is already late and I paid $50 to ship it.  On top of that I had another USPS package today form Bravo that says out for delivery at 8 am, it still hasnt been delivered today, no note in the mailbox saying to go to the pos toffice to pick it up and no update on the website saying delivery was missed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#22]
It only updates its system every evening and isn't real time check ins.  Makes the wait seem longer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They scan it for THEIR purposes - not yours.

Yep, they don't care about you

The people in my local branch seem nice though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Kaboom.

We can lock this down gentlemen, for there is the answer, and no other explanation is necessary.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Tracking and delivery confirmation service are feel good services sold to make extra money. I used to ship a lot of stuff USPS and often got emails saying the items had arrived 2-3 days before delivery confirmation and/or tracking showed it even arrived. I never buy it. The insurance is good the rest is a waste of money.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#26]
USPS sucks.

Delivery confirmation is useless if the website claims they've made an attempt to deliver and left a notice...except that the wife and kids were home all day, never saw the postman, nor was a notice left.  Since it was my Centurion upper they were holding, I took off early from work ('cause their hours suck) to pick it up at rather than schedule a redelivery.

I've learned my lesson - UPS or FedEx.

Crikey - can't wait for the USGOV to start running healthcare, too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't trust the goverment at all with anything of mine. Our mail is delivered by pompus asses that know they are set and cannot be fired unless they really fowl up so they do half ass jobs my street I know everybody cause every day I get there mail and they get mine we all walk it to where it goes cause they can't read. we have different postal workers almost everyday and they don't care. I have paid for packages to be secure where I had to sign for it to be delivered thinking this would solve my problem the tracking system said delivered 9 weeks after the 6 week I was told by the online store. I called and filed a complaint and wanted to see how it was delivered when I never signed shit. I wanted to see the sig they said that I would have to have a warrant to see my own sig. Fuck U.S.P.S.l use fed ex or ups at least compared to USPS their tracking is usaully right on and I have never had the issues I have with mail costs more but we get what we pay for fuck the us postal service they suck around here hancock county ohio
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I mailed a package priority mail Jan 2nd, last scan was Jan 3rd in the same state, its going out of state.  No tracking updates since then, USPS has now opened a case, whatever that means as delivery was expected Jan 4th.  Do they just scan these things at random?  I just had a USPS order from Primary Arms and it got scanned consistently every day  

I had the exact same problem.

It got scanned as getting put on the truck to go to their distribution center in Hazelwood, MO, but it never got scanned again as arriving at Hazelwood, MO.

My customer spent $180 with me, about a month and half ago.  Now, I get to rebuild a target he should have gotten within a week.  

Next time I send something, it will be insured.

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You may be on to something here...
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I just sent a Priority letter across country with delivery conformation.  It was scanned several times in transit in addition to the final delivery conformation.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, USPS doesn't require an item to be scanned at each location.

And sometimes they forget to scan when its delivered.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#32]
With reference to my post above. I had payed for the package to be insured for the amount of it's value and such. When I called to complain and ask to see who had signed that it had never been delivered I was told I would need a warrant to see what I had paid for and that they had proof it was delivered. Buying insurance from a U.S goverment ran company is throwing your money away they cannot run the country, not alone correctly deliver mail. I have never had an issue with insurance claims with fedex and UPS. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Master Blaster?
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

10 years ago, it might have been barely adequate - but since then, everyone else has gotten much, MUCH better.

It's definitely not competitive with what UPS, Fed-Ex or just about any other package carrier offers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Master Blaster?

I think he would do better than our current pres.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
USPS sucks.

Delivery confirmation is useless if the website claims they've made an attempt to deliver and left a notice...except that the wife and kids were home all day, never saw the postman, nor was a notice left.  Since it was my Centurion upper they were holding, I took off early from work ('cause their hours suck) to pick it up at rather than schedule a redelivery.

I've learned my lesson - UPS or FedEx.

Crikey - can't wait for the USGOV to start running healthcare, too.

Are you Crocodile Dundee?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top