Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2001 6:08:17 AM EDT
That's what a good friend of mine told me.I just got my  brand new,custom made AR-15,made with DPMS parts,and a RRA lower reciever,and it is in M4 configuration,with a flat-top and carrying handle,with a solid stock.It's great!!! ARs freaking rock.My friend is looking to buy a nice looking mossberg shotgun for $300,and since I keep talking about how my AR freaking rocks (don't all AR owners do that too? it's a right!!) he busts out with saying how his shotgun is more versatile,and a more capable weapon.I like shotguns,but no chance in hell that they would be more versatile than an AR carbine.
1.extreme accuracy
2.super armor penetration when needed
3.amazing range,I know it's hundreds of meters,anybody know the official effective range of a 16" barreled M4-AR-15?
4.hi-capacity,detatchable magazines
5.TRACERS!!!
6.looks badass
7.the AR series has the most accesories compared to ANY weapon
8.cheap,high quality ammo
9.it's made of brass,easy reloading
10.very controllable recoil
11.semi-automatic operation,unlike the pumpaction
12.any thing else you can think of??

Also,when I told him I would be buying a Harris bi-pod for it,he said it would look redicilus,since my gun is not a sniper rifle,or ment for long range stuff.I dissagreed with him,saying how the AR carbine is still super accurate,even in carbine format,and a bi-pod would help in long range shooting.He still thinks it's stupid.He's a good friend and all,it's just that I wanted to hear from you guys who I know own BOTH shotguns and AR-15s.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I know where you are coming from but I have to say:
In military/combat situations and that is what the AR is designed for yes you win the argument. Also for Hobby for swaping uppers,sights, different rifle situations the AR wins again.

As an all around gun though I say the shotgun is up there and might win.Why? I will give you my opinion. You can hunt birds, slugs for deer bear,and any thing else within 50 to 100 yards. You can use(depending on the Shotgun)2 3/4 to 3 in shells. You can use it for home defense, small game,trap and skeet. So the shotgun is probably in my opinion the most versatile. But mind you I will never give up my AR'S.I don't thing you should have one or the other I think a person should have both,to round out a collection. Just my opinion. Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Comparing both weapons without considering what it's intended use will be is a never-ending debate. Hope you both have a lot of time on your hands to do this.

Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#3]
THE SOLUTION---
is so easy.

Simply buy the under barrel REM 870/1100 type shotgun mount for your AR15/M16 for a TOTALLY AWESOME, NO HOLDS BARRED, ALL INCLUSIVE, MORE VERSITLE THAN ANYTHING, BETTER THAN AN M203 WANABEE, COMPLETE FIGHTING PACKAGE....  

Then your friend won't be able to say one thing agin your AR, much less anyone else...

BTW, I have seen them before, but don't ask me where to get one.... though I would be interested in finding one too....

Cheers
Wildman
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Shotguns are a great home defense firearm. Especially with a relatively short barrel. They dont give a serious overpenetration threat, and given the load, WILL drop an intruder.
But they are very cabable in semi auto, so that cant be used as an arguement. Hey, they are great for hunting.

Which nation arms its soldiers with shotguns ONLY?
Which PD uses shotguns ONLY?
Different purposes require multi use firearms, and that is the point.

Couldnt the same arguement be made with nearly any style of firearm? At benchrest, a handgun of good quality can deliver 100yard kill. Good defense, extremely easy to deploy, hunt, lots of small, easy to store ammo, etc.

MULTI USE and VERSATILITY

But, you ARe absolutely right. IF the discussion is versatility, then stick to your guns.
Accuracy is there
you can hunt with it if need be
use it for home defense (especially easy to handle in your carbine version)
easy-to-handle recoil
LOTS of ammo takes up way less space than shotgun ammo.
very inexpensive compared to shotgun (well, ammo anyway)
where in the world would you NOT find .223 ammo

Dont piss off your friend, his shotgun is versatile with many uses, but he is kidding himself and probably just envious  (HA  HA) of your AR.  Give him time to get used to the idea and swallow pride.

Oh and your badass point is right on.
Wildman is right. That would be damn cool.

I need to type a bit faster. No replies yet when I starte this one..HMM range time or typing class...no brainer.
Brian
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
THE SOLUTION---
is so easy.

Simply buy the under barrel REM 870/1100 type shotgun mount for your AR15/M16 for a TOTALLY AWESOME, NO HOLDS BARRED, ALL INCLUSIVE, MORE VERSITLE THAN ANYTHING, BETTER THAN AN M203 WANABEE, COMPLETE FIGHTING PACKAGE....  

Then your friend won't be able to say one thing agin your AR, much less anyone else...

BTW, I have seen them before, but don't ask me where to get one.... though I would be interested in finding one too....

Cheers
Wildman
View Quote

Didn't I see some setup like that in the movie "Predator" with Arnold S.? [heavy]
I agree 100% bad-ass!!! [X]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#6]
yes,the shotgun is called a LSS (light shotgun system)
and Billy (the Native American soldier in Predator)
is the one who had it mounted.
Yes!! I love my AR!! it is a more versatile weapon....maybe the most versatile....ya know?
good possibility.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Both are excellent for their intended purposes.

He probably just has "AR-Envy!"
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The novelty of a 12 gauge mounted under an AR is a neat idea but of questionable value. How often will you need the shotgun? Enough to carry the extra several pounds of gun under the rifle? Enough to slow down your reaction times? Enough to get the license for a short barreled shotgun? I’d rather take the $200 that the tax stamp costs and get either a Mossberg or Remington shotgun and take the $800 the SBR would cost and get a Colt AR.
View Quote

Hey, when you're out hunting invisible aliens with tri-dot laser sights w/ actual laser weapons, the cost is justified! Just kidding around...I loved the movie that's all[rail][heavy][rocket]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Nothing is more versatile than an ar15 with a .22lr upper and a blast reducer!
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
In the 50's in Malaysia, the British determined that the shotgun was the most devastating weapon for jungle warfare.  HOWEVER, the drawbacks of the weapon were too much to realistically make the shotgun general issue.  A pain to reload in a firefight, useless beyond forty yards (except with slugs, which compounds the reloading problem), and low capacity.

IMHO shotguns are excellent weapons and probably the best weapons for certain situations.  But versatile?  No way.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Versatility should only be a factor is you can only aford one weapon. Buy them all ."THE ONE WHO DIE'S WITH THE MOST GUNS WINS"
[shotgun] [heavy]  [uzi]  [sniper][rocket]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top