Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2001 8:47:28 PM EDT
I've got a '93 Chevy Van, and it's got one of those locks that won't let you shift out of Park until you press the brake pedal. This little POS is hanging up all the time, making me wait anywhere from 30 sec. to 20 minutes before it gets the idea. There's an electrical switch under the steering column, with a thin cable leading to the key switch on the column. Can I cut this cable to disable the lock, or would I be rendering the van permanently in Park? I really don't want to replace the electrical switch, which I suspect is bad, because it is getting pretty hot with power running to it, I'd rather just get rid of this dumb-*ss lock altogether. Besides, I can find no mention of this little jewel anywhere, so I can imagine the trouble I'd have trying to explain to part no. 58 (the idiot behind the counter) just what I need. If anybody has any knowledge of this, I'd be really gratefull! (but not enough to give away my AR, so don't even think it!)
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quick fix:
Bypass the switch by cutting the wires loose and then soldering or splicing them together. If this does not work , the problem may be in the column.The cable you see is probably conduit around the two wires.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
my honest opinion is that if you cut the cable you'll render the system totally inactive, thereby disabling the vehicle.  you'd have to find someway to make the system think that the brake pedal is always down, though i wouldn't know how you'd do this.  better to replace it than screw up the whole vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
had same problem with my bro's pickup (92 chevy), just go get the switch, autozone should have it, or be able to order it, and they are pretty knowledgable, then pull your negative battery cable to stop all power to the car, and install it, if you just connect the wires together, you'll cause a short, and kill your battery.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the ideas, folks. This cable appears to be a 2-part affair, and is a regular control cable. (as found on a clutch lever) This cable, when the switch is tripped, pushes something out of the way of the shift lever. I don't really trust part no. 58 after the guy refused to look for a part for another vehicle I had, because he said Chevy never made a Blazer in 1969. Or, when his even smarter twin asked me if the radiator I needed to fix a friends' '85 Buick was for a car or a truck. Oh well, I may be forced to get a new switch, but I'm gonna do a little more "exploratory surgery" first.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can see the switch contacts, does it look like there are adujusting threads on it? Sometimes you can adjust the timing on when the switches engage. If not, try triping the switch with a piece of test wire or better yet, an ohmmeter (NOT hot with the ohmmeter) to test the resistance in the closed switch. If it doesn't check out then go to P.E.P. Racing (aka pepboys0 and order a reverse lockout safty switch.
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
on the jap cars theres a bypass
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Melon...vyper and AR are correct.....here`s what i would do, go to local scrapyard, get switches from a 90-92 van (should fit) and get rid of the interlock altogether. if you can get the local parts guy to co-operate, compare switches from the older van to yours when you get it out. you can then determine if you can retrofit into your stg. column. last but not least...it`s not that difficult to change out the whole damn column if you get aggravated that much...good luck....[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
P S IMPORTANT>>>>>>make SURE you disconnect battery!!! and don`t touch the yellow wire!!! air bag go "POOF"----you not happy!!!...[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Try this (the shade tree solution) instead of placing it in park when you get out stick it in neutral and stomp the park brake to keep it where you leave it. Then see if it will start in neutral without having to worry about the brake.
It might work, it might not. But it cost nothing and is not a PIA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top