Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 41
Posted: 12/14/2012 12:41:30 PM EDT
I looked at this a while back when it was free and it was fun.  Then it went pay and I decided to wait for a bit... Well I bought it and it is well worth it.  I thought I'd share some of my adventures and hope to find others enjoying this game.
Pictures... lots of pictures...

Flags Have been added.  I'm making flags.  Feel free to snag any of these and put them in your games GameData/Squad/Flags folder so you can use them in game.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
lol, you built an X-Wing.

I don't have time to play, but if you do a LP, I'll watch/listen while I do other stuff.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice, haven't played in a few months, may have to get going again. Last time I landed a rover on the Mun, but was a good ways away from the spot I wanted to examine, so I started driving around. Well, I went way too fast and hit a bump and the rover started doing flips and cartwheels and shit for like 10 minutes before I could get control over the thing again. It was cool.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nice, haven't played in a few months, may have to get going again. Last time I landed a rover on the Mun, but was a good ways away from the spot I wanted to examine, so I started driving around. Well, I went way too fast and hit a bump and the rover started doing flips and cartwheels and shit for like 10 minutes before I could get control over the thing again. It was cool.

Now they blow up if you do that...

but they added a quick save (F5) and quick load (hold down F9) so I've managed to recover after many Hun mishaps.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
this profane swedish dude cracks me up

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now they blow up if you do that...

but they added a quick save (F5) and quick load (hold down F9) so I've managed to recover after many Hun mishaps.  

You can quick save mid-flight and, if you fuckup later on go back and try again without starting over?

Well fuck me!  That would have saved me hours of frustration months ago!

Guess I'll have to give it another go.  I pre-purchased and used to dabble every week or so.  Tons of fun, haven't played it since I got accepted into the WarThunder beta though.

edit:  I see the added docking...
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have wasted a TON of time playing KSP. Landing on the Mun and Minmus and achieving any sort of orbit I want is trivial for me now. I can land landers on the Mun and Minmus next to another already landed ship with pretty decent accuracy. My biggest achievement so far is landing a rather large lander on Duna with the aid of the protractor mod/plugin to get there. I never got it back to Kerbin though because I took a break from playing after that and the new update came out which broke my old persistence file.

Getting to other planets is not so easy for me yet , but I haven't played around with the new flight planner/node system much to try it since 0.18. I've still mostly been doing everything manually without assists. I have rendezvousing down (flight planning/node system helps greatly with that), but have had a hard time docking so far and haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet.

I did an Apollo style landing on the Mun and successfully rendezvoused with the mothership but took the easy way out and EVA the two Kerbals in the lander to the command module.

I really want to start assembling an awesome space station and try to do another interplanetary mission.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have wasted a TON of time playing KSP. Landing on the Mun and Minmus and achieving any sort of I want is trivial for me. Getting to other planets not so much yet , but I haven't played around with the new node system much. I've still mostly been doing everything manually without assists. I haven't tried getting to another planet since the 0.18 update though. I have rendezvousing down (flight planning/node system helps greatly with that), but have had a hard time docking so far and haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet.

I did an Apollo style landing on the Mun and successfully rendezvoused with the mothership but took the easy way out and EVA the two in the lander to the command module.

They've added planets as well?  Last I played they had just added Minmus.  I tried a few times to land on it, ended up darting into it once when I came in too hot and ran out of fuel on approach.  I don't see anything in the news/updates about planets though.

Do the space stations save from flight to flight indefinitely?  I know when I last played the space junk would stay up from flight to flight till you restarted the game.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep lots of planets.  In my. OP you see the Mun, Minmus, And planets Duna, Eve, and the gas giant Jool.  And I haven't been to Moho or Dres yet. Most planets also have moons ... and Jool has several.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have wasted a TON of time playing KSP. Landing on the Mun and Minmus and achieving any sort of I want is trivial for me. Getting to other planets not so much yet , but I haven't played around with the new node system much. I've still mostly been doing everything manually without assists. I haven't tried getting to another planet since the 0.18 update though. I have rendezvousing down (flight planning/node system helps greatly with that), but have had a hard time docking so far and haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet.

I did an Apollo style landing on the Mun and successfully rendezvoused with the mothership but took the easy way out and EVA the two in the lander to the command module.

They've added planets as well?  Last I played they had just added Minmus.  I tried a few times to land on it, ended up darting into it once when I came in too hot and ran out of fuel on approach.  I don't see anything in the news/updates about planets though.

Do the space stations save from flight to flight indefinitely?  I know when I last played the space junk would stay up from flight to flight till you restarted the game.

I believe everything is persistent.

You could theoretically launch a flight, put it in orbit, then do a burn toward one of the outer planets or something... then exit out of that flight and do another launch.  And the first one will continue on it's course.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are several planets with moons and the latest patch added a new moon to the gas giant and a new planetoid (Ceres analogue). Your persistence file saves everything that you launch no matter where it is unless it crashes into a planet then it is destroyed. Once you get the hang of how you're supposed to rendezvous and orbit a planet and go in for a landing, it's actually really really easy IMO.

When you did your moon landing did you do a direct burn to the moon? Because that would really really take a lot of fuel to do and almost as much fuel to cancel your velocity to land.

You want to setup an orbit around the planet then do a proper burn to rendezvous with the moon to enter its orbit/sphere of influence. Getting to the Mun is super easy. All you have to do is setup an orbit around Kerbin (90° heading), once you see the Mun appear on the horizon of Kerbin, you burn prograde toward the horizon at 90° where the blue and brown parts of the navball meet (horizon line). You'll see your orbit go highly elliptical and if you burn long enough it should encounter the Mun. Stop burning when this happens and coast there. Once you're there you kill enough velocity at the apogee or perigree (can't remember which it is, but you'll see) of your orbit around the Mun to setup an orbit around it then pick a location to land and start to kill your velocity with another retrograde burn. You need to kill your velocity by burning toward the green circle with the X in it on the nav ball. That's how you retrograde burn. once your velocity reaches zero you will start to fall toward the Mun straight down. Obviously you'll need to do more retrograde burns to slow down before touch down so you can land at a safe speed so your landing legs survive. Turning on ASAS during prograde and retrograde burns helps immensely.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could theoretically launch a flight, put it in orbit, then do a burn toward one of the outer planets or something... then exit out of that flight and do another launch.  And the first one will continue on it's course.

Can you jump from ship to ship or rejoin a flight in progress later on?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are several planets with moons and the latest patch added a new moon to the gas giant and a new planetoid (Ceres analogue). Your persistence file saves everything that you launch no matter where it is unless it crashes into a planet then it is destroyed. Once you get the hang of how you're supposed to rendezvous and orbit a planet and go in for a landing, it's actually really really easy IMO.

When you did your moon landing did you do a direct burn to the moon? Because that would really really take a lot of fuel to do and almost as much fuel to cancel your velocity to land.

You want to setup an orbit around the planet then do a proper burn to rendezvous with the moon to enter its orbit/sphere of influence. Getting to the Mun is super easy. All you have to do is setup an orbit around Kerbin (90° heading), once you see the Mun appear on the horizon of Kerbin, you burn prograde toward the horizon at 90° where the blue and brown parts of the navball meet (horizon line). You'll see your orbit go highly elliptical and if you burn long enough it should encounter the Mun. Stop burning when this happens and coast there. Once you're there you kill enough velocity at the highest point of your orbit around the Mun to setup an orbit around it then pick a location to land and start to kill your velocity with another retrograde burn. You need to kill your velocity by burning toward the green circle with the X in it on the nav ball. That's how you retrograde burn. once your velocity reaches zero you will start to fall toward the Mun straight down. Obviously you'll need to do more retrograde burns to slow down before touch down so you can land at a safe speed so your landing legs survive. Turning on ASAS during prograde and retrograde burns helps immensely.

Wanted to put it into orbit, ended up not paying attention and burning to long putting me on a path right into the moon.  Should have tried to gain velocity after to get myself back on an path where I could get into orbit but instead tried to just go straight in.

I've landed on the Mun many times including landings where I was able to return home.  Installing the updates now to check the new stuff out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag, had a few pieces of my space station in the same orbit the other night.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#15]
The new parts models are MUCH better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes on both counts.

And you can join ships together with docking.  And then separate them again.  As of the 0.18 patch.

I've never played, but I listen to jef major's lets play of it while I work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  

I just downloaded after not playing for a few months.  The new updates are awesome!
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. There is a tracking station where you can select any flight and resume.  Also hitting [ or ] will switch between nearby craft which is very useful for docking.

They also added unmanned probes and satellites which you can see pictured in my OP.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Love the game!

Here are some pics of one space station I built.  I made multiple trips with small, individual pieces, docked and separated.  Pretty damn fun stuff these days.  

The solar panels, electrical systems and working lights are pretty slick!  

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there any way to prevent your ship from rolling at all relative to Kerbin?  The thing that makes docking ridiculously hard is that you cant tell what fucking direction your going to fire your RCS until you fire a burst off.

I tried locking it to chase view and that helped a bit, and maybe is the answer but I didn't have much time.  Just looking for some tips and tricks on docking.

Also, can you actually drop your little green bastards off at a space station, undock the ship and return it to Kerbin(sp?) while leaving them at the station or are they locked into the command module?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Is there any way to prevent your ship from rolling at all relative to Kerbin?  The thing that makes docking ridiculously hard is that you cant tell what fucking direction your going to fire your RCS until you fire a burst off.

I tried locking it to chase view and that helped a bit, and maybe is the answer but I didn't have much time.  Just looking for some tips and tricks on docking.

Also, can you actually drop your little green bastards off at a space station, undock the ship and return it to Kerbin(sp?) while leaving them at the station or are they locked into the command module?

Nope, you can strand them in orbit and come back for them later on!

0.18.1 has some nice docking features.  There's a bit more guidance and information available to help, and the space station seem to stay pretty much stable....until you bump them, lol.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#22]

That guy is hilarious. The nipple sky fucker Mark 2, with viking technology.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That guy is hilarious. The nipple sky fucker Mark 2, with viking technology.

Odin, spread your buttcheeks, lmao.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Another question, when you've got a big ass space station orbiting a planet or moon is there any way to keep it oriented in one direction at all times even when you aren't in it?  I know some parts are pretty flimsy and if it just starts tumbling around I'd hate to have a space station I've spent days putting together break up on me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Not sure if there's any way to keep it oriented, but whatever they've done in this release is nice as other vessels are at least stable in one spot as you approach, unlike previous versions where everything rotates.

My big old monstrosity of a space station holds together fine.  When you first dock to something the two crafts flex wildly, but nothing has broken on me.........yet.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Love the game!

Here are some pics of one space station I built.  I made multiple trips with small, individual pieces, docked and separated.  Pretty damn fun stuff these days.  

What altitude did you make that at?
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Love the game!

What altitude did you make that at?

200 km circular orbit.

Wanted to make them low enough that I could get pieces up without having insanely large rockets.  Don't have any pics of my rockets right now (not home, in hotel), but will try to put some up if I remember.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Another question, when you've got a big ass space station orbiting a planet or moon is there any way to keep it oriented in one direction at all times even when you aren't in it?  I know some parts are pretty flimsy and if it just starts tumbling around I'd hate to have a space station I've spent days putting together break up on me.

Yes and no.
You can point it at 0deg or 180deg and it'll remain pointed at those spots... depending on your orbital inclination that is... This works for 90deg orbits.
Also you can add SAS to your ships which should dampen out any spin.
But your ships won't explode on you while you are away.  They go "on rails" and while I'm still trying to figure out the exact meaning of that I do know that they don't change orbit or spin apart.  Once you get within 2.5 Km of them with another ship though they get rendered and are no longer on rails as far as I can tell.
Eventually I'll find the time to see just how on rails things are...  I plan on getting my self on an intercept course with say the Mun and then switch to another ship and see if the orbit of the first ship changes when it encounters the Mun or not.

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes and no.

You can point it at 0deg or 180deg and it'll remain pointed at those spots... depending on your orbital inclination that is... This works for 90deg orbits.

But your ships won't explode on you while you are away.  They go "on rails" and while I'm still trying to figure out the exact meaning of that I do know that they don't change orbit or spin apart.  Once you get within 2.5 Km of them with another ship though they get rendered and are no longer on rails as far as I can tell.

Eventually I'll find the time to see just how on rails things are...  I plan on getting my self on an intercept course with say the Mun and then switch to another ship and see if the orbit of the first ship changes when it encounters the Mun or not.

I would assume the orbits are still calculated but all the little calculations as far as the physics of the ship(wobbling, bending ect) are not calculated.  The ship probably goes from, say, 90 parts to being calculated as 1 single point in space.  I would think to keep the game from bogging down constantly when you get 10 space stations flying around various planets along with all your space junk floating around.

Speaking of space junk, is there a way to clean up space and delete space junk(or at least remove it from the orbit/map view)?
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes and no.

I would assume the orbits are still calculated but all the little calculations as far as the physics of the ship(wobbling, bending ect) are not calculated.  The ship probably goes from, say, 90 parts to being calculated as 1 single point in space.  I would think to keep the game from bogging down constantly when you get 10 space stations flying around various planets along with all your space junk floating around.

Speaking of space junk, is there a way to clean up space and delete space junk(or at least remove it from the orbit/map view)?

You can go into the graphics settings and set the Persistence Debris to zero, that will help.  I also go into the Tracking Station and "end flight" of all the junk floating around.  PITA, yes, but it's the only way I know how to get rid of it.

Speaking of lots of space stations, etc, floating around... as you approach to dock with a LARGE station, such as mine, the game's frame rate definitely starts reducing as the physics calculated on all of the parts begins.  Makes docking a bit challenging.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Got a space station up and running.  I built this in 5 launches.  Each solar array was a launch(started with the one sticking out the top and built from there).  The 'house' structure was the second launch.  I then added the capsule and connection port.  Then each of the side arrays.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Docking was absolutely driving me into a rage until I realized that their was a chase view you could switch to that would lock your view relative to the spacecraft.  Having your ship roll about and having to guess which direction is, only to end up flying all over god knows where and having to abort your approach over and over until you run out of fuel, hold F9 and start the whole fucking process over again.

Now it's easy as pie.  Another thing that helps is to add the number of retro rockets(or whatever those little control rockets are called) relative to the mass of the craft(in the stage you are going to be docking it with).  Too many and you will end up over correcting too easily and too few and you might overshoot your marks without the ability to correct in time.

With just the right amount docking becomes 10x easier.  I was even able to dock one of my solar arrays while getting roa..err space head.

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I am having the hardest time trying to dock.  I'm using MechJeb but I can't seem to get anything to work properly.  I get about 20 km away using Time Launch to Rendezvous then I'm not really sure what to do.  If I try to catch up I end up going too fast or totally missing my target.  Any advice would be welcome.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am having the hardest time trying to dock.  I'm using MechJeb but I can't seem to get anything to work properly.  I get about 20 km away using Time Launch to Rendezvous then I'm not really sure what to do.  If I try to catch up I end up going too fast or totally missing my target.  Any advice would be welcome.

You have to make your orbit very slightly elliptical and have part of it just above or below (depending on relation of whichever craft you want to get to the other). When your craft gets within about 2 kilometers you will target the other craft to meet up with and burn toward it and get about 30m/s speed on it to approach it. When you get close retroburn and do it again. After 2-3 times of doing this you should be very near it and you can take your ship in with RCS. You will need to make adjustments, but it's pretty easy. Scott Manley has an informative video on it.

I don't use mech jeb, just manual controls and the flight node/planner.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Docking was absolutely driving me into a rage until I realized that their was a chase view you could switch to that would lock your view relative to the spacecraft.  Having your ship roll about and having to guess which direction is, only to end up flying all over god knows where and having to abort your approach over and over until you run out of fuel, hold F9 and start the whole fucking process over again.

Now it's easy as pie.  Another thing that helps is to add the number of retro rockets(or whatever those little control rockets are called) relative to the mass of the craft(in the stage you are going to be docking it with).  Too many and you will end up over correcting too easily and too few and you might overshoot your marks without the ability to correct in time.

With just the right amount docking becomes 10x easier.  I was even able to dock one of my solar arrays while getting roa..err space head.

I think I need to get my wife in on this new training program.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought it last week, and I have getting things into orbit down pat.  I'm guessing it'll take a while to get orbital maneuvers under my belt..but man, I'm dying to build a space station.

Here's my first piece of a space station, just used the premade ship that was available and stuck a rocket under it.

This is a satellite I made from scratch.

I'm obviously still a beginner... haven't even gotten to the Mun yet!
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally landed on Laythe

First probe to Jool... unfortunate fast forward incident while trying to enter Laythe orbit... now on a escape trajectory out of the solar system.

Second probe to Jool. Just an orbiter.  In stable orbit around Jool.

Third probe was a lander for Laythe but ran out of fuel... in stable orbit around Jool.

Fourth probe was a lander... with ION.  First attempt at laythe was not a success.  but I was still in an orbit where I could try again.  The ION could not provide enough thrust so I decided to try aerobraking.

Success!

lost my solar panels during braking.  It's fine I don't need them any more.

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I had some fun with the free version
I might need to buy it so I can get all these other ship parts
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I finally made it close enough to the Mun to get into orbit.  I ran out of fuel setting up the orbit, so I can't even crash land. .  The mission was initially just a Heavy Lifter test to see if it could reach the Mun, so I just sent a capsule, no lander.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm having more trouble making a spaceplane capable of entering a stable orbit, than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm having more trouble making a spaceplane capable of entering a stable orbit, than anything else.

Me too.  That's what i have been working on for the last few days.  I have a couple that i can get into orbit and back but they don't have any range beyond that.   I have a space station with a large fuel tank attached that I'm thinking of filling up and using as a launch point for flights to distant planets.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:54:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Can someone please explain rendevous. I have all these big pieces in orbit. I've tried Hohmann transfers but I cannot get the damn things to meet up. Plus not knowing what any of the f;ing indicators on the little globe mean doesnt help. Also got to love when it switches what the indicators mean!
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can someone please explain rendevous. I have all these big pieces in orbit. I've tried Hohmann transfers but I cannot get the damn things to meet up. Plus not knowing what any of the f;ing indicators on the little globe mean doesnt help. Also got to love when it switches what the indicators mean!

Pink circle around dot is TARGET

Pink 3 point lines around dot are OPPOSITE OF TARGET

Blue Ts around blue dot MANEUVER HEADING

Yellow circle with inverted T = inertial heading

Yellow circle with 3 points and X across center = reverse of inertial heading

-v- is your nose indicator
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok which indicators should I be moving towards to rendevous with something thats in orbit?
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:01:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok which indicators should I be moving towards to rendevous with something thats in orbit?

Yellow circle with inverted T and no X should be centered on the pink dot in the pink circle, provided you are close enough to intercept and have your target selected.

Targets can be selected by clicking their orbit in the Map and clicking SET TARGET.

Once in visual range you can select individual docking ports as your target.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#48]
So I basically have this going on, and then put the one in the elliptical orbit back into a circular orbit once they get close. Then what do I do?

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So I basically have this going on, and then put the one in the elliptical orbit back into a circular orbit once they get close. Then what do I do?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/InfiniteGrim/Capture-38_zps60a58861.jpg

Watch Kurtjmac's first attempt:

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:11:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Also, a Saitek X52 is a wonderful thing to have. Having two hats on the stick, I have the right slaved to UP/DOWN and LEFT/RIGHT RCS translation, and the left one controls FORWARD/BACKWARD.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top