Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2012 10:59:57 PM EDT
Ok, I know there is a large contingent of people here who carry (CCW & Open) firearms on their person in their own home.

That's fine, I personally don't in general, but if I'm dressed, I always have a knife or 2 in my pockets. It's not just for defense, I need
them as a tool. I use them to aid in packing/shipping various items.

I suppose if you are carrying at all times, then by default you are answering the door armed. But, do you put weapon in hand?
Does it depend on the time of day/night? The manner in which the person(s) knock/ring bell, etc?

For me, depending on the time, and what I hear/see outside the door, I will usually grab a pistol on the way to the door. I always have something
within reach, and my place is sufficiently hardened so it would be highly unlikely they could get in before I could reach anything.

Anyway, let's hear it.  How do you answer the door?

(poll inbound)
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Who doesn't?
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Who doesn't?

That was helpful.  

Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I am always ready to urinate upon door knockers to immediately assert my dominance over them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I always answer the door with a gun in hand if i do not recognize them.

You never know......
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who doesn't?

That was helpful.  

Care to elaborate?

I normally ONLY answer the door for recognized parties, but on the rare occasion that I may answer for a stranger, it's with a 1911 in hand (obscured behind myself or the cracked door).  I also carry at home, same as when I'm out.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Head on a swivel!
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I always have my holster on if I am dressed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Pistol in hand whenever I don't recognize the person.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't answer the door unless it's UPS or Fedex requiring a signature.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#10]
always IWB concealed.

If i dont know who the fuck is at the door, its not getting opened, with few exceptions of like kids selling candy/cookies, delivery drivers, etc.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I point the gun at the door and yell "Go Away!"
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Before answering the door I yell out "Thunder" and wait for the correct response. If there is no reply, I blade at 45 and let loose the tannerite vested dogs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#13]
If I answer the door, I am armed.

Typically, I don't answer the door unless I know who it is, delivery/mail, family, neighbors, or friends. If I know you are coming, I will be expecting you.

If I get a knock that I am not expecting, the other person knocking can expect I will have a gun on me or in my hand. I will try to look out the window and recognize a vehicle or out the peep hole. Usually, I will answer the door reguardless, but I want to know who and how many are out there. I don't trust anyone. Sorry. There has been a common thing starting to go around, some chick with some starting her own business story will go door to door prepared to ask you if you are interested in having her clean your carpets or some shit and even hand you a WordArt pamphlet about her up and coming small business to feed her starving children, all the while two scumbag pieces of shit wait in a van/truck for the "right" house. If no one knocks and the house will do for them, they will go around back and break in.

Seems there is a risk whether you answer your door or not these days.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Last time the door ringed (late at night) I grabbed my 835 loaded with 3" OO buck. It was samich makers brother.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 12:45:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Your not the only one
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I answer the door, I am armed.

Typically, I don't answer the door unless I know who it is, delivery/mail, family, neighbors, or friends. If I know you are coming, I will be expecting you.

If I get a knock that I am not expecting, the other person knocking can expect I will have a gun on me or in my hand. I will try to look out the window and recognize a vehicle or out the peep hole. Usually, I will answer the door reguardless, but I want to know who and how many are out there. I don't trust anyone. Sorry. There has been a common thing starting to go around, some chick with some starting her own business story will go door to door prepared to ask you if you are interested in having her clean your carpets or some shit and even hand you a WordArt pamphlet about her up and coming small business to feed her starving children, all the while two scumbag pieces of shit wait in a van/truck for the "right" house. If no one knocks and the house will do for them, they will go around back and break in.

Seems there is a risk whether you answer your door or not these days.

There we go, that's the kind of answer I'm lookin for!

Good on you.  Always check out who's knockin!

More detail folks!

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your not the only one

Of course I'm not the only one!

I just wanna know how y'all do it!  Gun in hand? In holster? On table near door? Knife? Aim your boner at 'em?

Come on people!  Am I on fucking ignore or something???  Hello, is this thing on?

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#18]
You guys actually answer the door? Amateurs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 1:11:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+1

You lazy asses aren't leaving the basement when mom can easily answer it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a great uncle who always kept a wheelgun in the living room for if/when he answered the door at night. One night, he happened to not grab the gun. The guy at the door was the now-grown son of an man who used to be my uncle's neighbor. The guy asked for a drink, and when my uncle turned the guy got him on the ground and stabbed him multiple times in the chest, killing him.

Link

Some fucking people..

Yeah, I take a gun to the door.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#21]
If I don't know you I don't answer the door.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 1:36:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When you say "you don't answer the door", do you mean you completely ignore whoever is knocking, or you just don't open the door?

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a girlfriend dump me because I answered the door with a 1911 in my hand when two guys were on my stoop talking, driving the dogs nuts, without knocking. Quickly found out a cuter girl had been jealous the entire time I was with that one.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 1:55:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I always answer the door with a knife in my pocket but it has nothing to do with paranoia. A knife is always in my pocket, the only reason I take it out is to enter an area with metal detectors.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:29:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I always answer the door with a knife in my pocket but it has nothing to do with paranoia. A knife is always in my pocket, the only reason I take it out is to enter an area with metal detectors.

Same here. I always have a knife anyway.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:37:48 AM EDT
[#26]
sharks with lasers.............I grab my sharks with lasers before I answer the door

on a more serious note, I just don't answer it because nobody knocks.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:39:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Kinda hard not to answer the door armed when I'm always armed.  Even when I sleep. I may not wear clothes, but I have a belt and a holster on.  Oh wait...you were talking about with a pistol or rifle, huh?  

I mean, yeah...always have a pistol on me.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I live a long way down a private road behind an auto gate. "IF YOU DON`T KNOW THE CODE,,,DON`T COME DOWN THE ROAD".
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I am always armed at home so the answer is yes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#30]
poll fail.  needs more "always armed"  

If I'm awake and not in a restricted facility, my sidearm is on my person.  If I'm asleep and someone is at my door, we have bigger issues and the rifle is deployed
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Rarely does anyone come to our door, but if it is at night, Glock is in hand.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Ha! First they have to make it past my claymores and foo gas, then my LP/OP's with interlocking fields of fire.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I point the gun at the door and yell "Go Away!"

What works better is two or three rounds through the door, saves the vocal cords.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Who doesn't?

My ccw is on me unless im asleep, or at a location prohibited by law.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If they go away they're VC

If they continue to  ring the bell, they're well trained VC

Aint answering the door hell?

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Poll fail. Forgot to include naked wielding a shotgun.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#37]

These threads always make me laugh.

Do you people live in Beirut?

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Maybe they live in Detroit?

Same thing

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe they live in Detroit?

Same thing

In which case, the question should be - why are you living in Detroit?

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#41]
If someone knocks at my door at night, that means they climbed over the gate at the top of my driveway, walked the 800 feet down it, ignoring all the no tresspassing signs to get to my front door. Damn right I'll have a weapon with me. If it ain't the cops or a neighbor, they better have a damn good reason for tresspassing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Also, A rule we have at the Makarov Compound is; If we don't know you (family, friends, etc.) or are not expecting you (plumber, UPS, etc.) we DO NOT open the door. PERIOD! Whatever you have for us you can leave on the porch. If you are in trouble, we will be happy to call 911 you and you can wait on the porch until the police arrive.

We also have a 140# St. Bernard who loves to do CUJO imitations anytime a stranger comes around the house. He is all bark and no bite but he is intimidating.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:44:10 AM EDT
[#43]

When someone knocks on my door, I:

- Alert the family so that everyone can take their rehearsed sandbagged defensive positions
- Remove the safeties from the claymore mines
- Energize the 800 watt spotlights.
- Strap a grenade to my chest

Only then do I rappel out of my 2nd story window so that I can land behind whoever is knocking at my door so that I can achieve total tactical surprise.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#44]
If I don't recognize them,  I shout I'm busy.   I used to just ignore knocks not expected, but then started responding.   The reason being I don't want to get the impression the house is empty.   If just not sure, then I'll have a gun in hand.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:46:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you say "you don't answer the door", do you mean you completely ignore whoever is knocking, or you just don't open the door?

As for me, I look out the peep hole.  If I don't know you, I watch until you leave.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#48]
If I don't know who is at the door, I'll grab my CCW pistol and conceal it before I open the door.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I usually don't expect company. I always answer the door armed. Friend/family don't show up unexpected it is an understood rule to call first. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:50:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If someone knocks at my door at night, that means they climbed over the gate at the top of my driveway, walked the 800 feet down it, ignoring all the no tresspassing signs to get to my front door. Damn right I'll have a weapon with me. If it ain't the cops or a neighbor, they better have a damn good reason for tresspassing.

Same here. My driveway in FL isn't quite that long, but otherwise same scenario, with a run of barbed wire at the top, beware of dog and audio/video surveillance warning signs in plain view.  It's been so long since someone rang my doorbell that I would probably go all crazy secret squirrel on them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top