Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2012 9:08:33 AM EDT
My wifes 2009 yukon got practically submerged in sandy and now a big white brick with a full tank of  gas.  How  do i get the gas out.? There are still hours long gas lines and still no electric so gas is precious.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably easier to just punch a hole in the gas tank.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You'd probably have to punch a hole in the tank and drain it that way.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Look for a drain plug first.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Try searching in the Outdoor/Survival section. I'm pretty sure there was a discussion on this. I think you had to use a very small hose.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd open up the fuel pump access hatch under the rear seat (if your car works that way), remove the fuel pump, and siphon it out that way.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#6]
disconnect the fuel line near the engine, put it in a gas can and try to start your vehicle.  Let the pump do the work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I would punch a hole in the tank and drain it out.  

Then fix the hole with this chewing gum-like patch.  

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80884-Tank-Radiator-Repair/dp/B000BKC2HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352225649

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you sure it's not contaminated?

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
disconnect the fuel line near the engine, put it in a gas can and try to start your vehicle.  Let the pump do the work.

Incase there's water in the intake I wouldn't do that. I'd just cycle the key between off and run the pump will prime and pump gas for a couple seconds.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incase there's water in the intake I wouldn't do that. I'd just cycle the key between off and run the pump will prime and pump gas for a couple seconds.

I suspect that the point of this exercise is that the electrical system is too fried for anything of the sort.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#11]
punch a hole in the tank.

its likely totaled and if not some debris from sandy must have poked a hole in it.

hopefully water didn't get in the tank.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#12]
TAG
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Contrary to popular belief, there aren't many vehicles with "anti siphon valves", "filter screens" or "rollover valves".

However, there are many vehicles with a long, convoluted passage between the filler neck and gas tank.

Using a thin hose and some patience usually works best.

This particular siphon uses 1/4" refrigerator icemaker water line for the section that is inserted into the tank. The tip of this line is cut at an angle, to make it less likely to snag on the inside of the filler passage as it is inserted.

Some vehicles have a spring-loaded "flapper" that closes over the filler inlet, making it more difficult to snake the siphon hose down the passage. Using an insert holds this flapper open - This one is made of a short piece of copper water line and end fitting.

On some vehicles, you can use a thicker siphon hose, which helps speed up the process considerably. So, it's helpful to have several different hose sizes on hand, using the largest one that will fit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

punch a hole in the tank.

its likely totaled and if not some debris from sandy must have poked a hole in it.

hopefully water didn't get in the tank.

This.  If you cant figure out how to easily siphon it from a totaled vehicle, open the gas cap and punch a small hoe in the lowest part of the tank.  Water doesn't mix well with gas, so if there is water in the gas, it will drain out first.

Make sure you have a plug handy, or have enough containers to drain your tank.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#15]
2 hoses? One for fuel another smaller one for air, run that one up the side of the car?

I don't know how the anti siphon system works so this is just a guess.

Just like using a bendy straw to chug a bottle of beer

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought obama was giving out free gas
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#17]
disconnect the battery, disconnect the fuel line  somewhere under the hood (expect some spray) and connect a larger line to the fuel line and into a gas can.
my fuel pump will pump a gallon a minute, your probably will, you may have to turn on /off the ignition switch every 5 seconds due to the fuel pump relay.
I drained the tank in my subaru this way in about 8 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1

Have used this in the past and it works great.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The safest way.  As long as the battery is good, you can drain the tank.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#20]
If the vehicle is still right-side-up and the battery still has some charge in it, you could disconnect the gas line in the engine compartment, attach a drain hose to the end of it, and jumper the contacts on the fuel pump relay.

ETA: Beat by several seconds!
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#21]
With an anti anti-siphon siphon.  Duh.

ETA - sorry I didn't realize how serious this thread was fore posting the joke.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Water sinks in gasoline.  But with ethanol, it can form an emulsion.  Using Epsom Salt, you can remove the emulsion after decanting the gasoline off the water.

Bake the Epsom Salt in an oven at 350 F for an hour, spread it out on a cookie sheet 1/2" thick.  Let the salt cool, then use 1 tablespoon per gallon.  This will restore the gasoline to a clear, bright liquid.  Water in gasoline looks milky.

Once the gasoline is clear, decant again.  The Epsom Salt will NOT dissolve in gasoline

5 gallon plastic buckets are great for this, white is the best color for decanting water, darker colors for decanting Epsom Salt.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Water sinks in gasoline.  But with ethanol, it can form an emulsion.  Using Epsom Salt, you can remove the emulsion after decanting the gasoline off the water.

Bake the Epsom Salt in an oven at 350 F for an hour, spread it out on a cookie sheet 1/2" thick.  Let the salt cool, then use 1 tablespoon per gallon.  This will restore the gasoline to a clear, bright liquid.  Water in gasoline looks milky.

Once the gasoline is clear, decant again.  The Epsom Salt will NOT dissolve in gasoline

5 gallon plastic buckets are great for this, white is the best color for decanting water, darker colors for decanting Epsom Salt.

Could you break the emulsion with more water and let it settle?
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#24]
If you have a handheld programmer, in many cases you can command the fuel pumps to come on and purge the tank.  My Challenger does for when I switch between regular and e85 at the track. You disconnect the line at the back of the fuel rail and attach a hose to your cans.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This.  If you cant figure out how to easily siphon it from a totaled vehicle, open the gas cap and punch a small hoe in the lowest part of the tank.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  If you cant figure out how to easily siphon it from a totaled vehicle, open the gas cap and punch a small hoe in the lowest part of the tank.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/snooki-punched.gif

He punched a large hoe right in the headlights!

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could you break the emulsion with more water and let it settle?
It is very slow to break because ethanol acts as a co-solvent for water and gasoline.  It doesn't take much water to cloud 10% EtOH gasoline.

It won't freeze out.  But as long as there is no water phase settling out after a few days, cloudy gasoline can be used.  Just replace the filter after using all of it up.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Cut the hose right behind the filler cap.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I thought obama was giving out free gas

Bastard gives me gas every time I see him

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/snooki-punched.gif

Pow! Right in the kisser!
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#31]
You must use the anti-anti-syphon hose.   Check with GM for the hose kit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#32]
The bigger question is why a 2009 Yukon?

I am fairly new here but I thought ARFcom boycotted Gov't. Motors.

Punching a hole may not be so good, safety is an issue, you need a large catch container, you also need several cans to put the gas into. A 25-30 gallon gas tank? Now add up how many cans you have.

will insurance total the Yukon? If not you may be on the hook for a new gas tank. My brothers Corvette was $1100 for a gas tank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top