Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2001 12:05:00 PM EDT
Got my pre-ban Bushmaster back from Walter last week. Had an extra upper and 5 mags refinished by him as well.

Had the lower, uppers, and barrels (Colt 20" 1/7 A2 and 1/7 HBAR) done in Green-T, with the sights, compensators, switches, mags and other parts done in Black-T.

Needless to say my rifle is now very beautiful. No more Bushmaster Purple for me.

The rifle and mags were completely disasembled and refinished inside and out, including all springs. But, of course, not the chrome lined parts like the bore, chamber, firing pin, and part of the insides of the bolt carriers.

The range numbers and lines were painted white, along with the safety indicator and the words safe on both sides.  Fire was done in red.

Cost to me $215, customer pick up. Please note: Walter is NOT doing any more Green-T for now, because of a supplier problem, but hopes to have that problem resolved in the next 2-4 months.

Have not had a chance to re zero the uppers, and d%#* it, the crappie are biting, so looks like it'll have to be Sunday.

Walter Birdsong and Associates
1435 Monterey Road
Florence, Mississippi 39073
(601) 939-7448
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Now, if he'll just develop Grey-T for Colts.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got my stuff back too.  It took a little while (2+ months) but it is OUT-STAND-ING work!!

Mucho-bonita eh Sancho??
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Si, Gene!  He's had mine ready for a couple or 3 weeks, but thought I had 3 uppers (I confused him) so kept looking for the 3d upper.

Did you get Green-T or Black-T?  Or both?
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Black & beautiful!

He told me that all of the Green T was being used to coat a batch of S&W custom guns. I will get some of that next time around I guess.

Sancho esta Kendall, Si????
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
He told me the same thing, and showed me the S&W .45s, which he said are for the FBI.  He also showed me his, which S&W gave him.  But, he said he had enough Green-T to do my two uppers and lower.  I know a long time friend of his, which didn't hurt.

But he said he didn't have enough to do my PWA in Green-T when I picked the BM up.  Check back in 2 months.  Big problem with his supplier, who wanted him to buy in lots bigger than he could use before they go bad.  So he thinks he may have a new supplier, but the details aren't ironed out yet.

Could be?  No hablo espanol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had a Sterling made ArmaLite AR180, a preban AR15 rifle as well as a carbine, and several handguns done by him.  They look great and boy do they function smoothly with no lubrication.  Let several people fire the 180 today and they were amazed at how smooth it functioned with no lube and they also thought it was gorgeous.  Looks like a brand new rifle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Any chance we can see some photos of Mr. Birdsong's fine work???
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#9]
NY Patriot, if I can figure out how to do it on this site, I will post some this evening.  However, a photo won't really do it justice.  You have really be able to see up close all the detail that he pays to the internals as well as externals.  Anyway, I will try to do so.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Top for Door Kicker.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#11]
How tough exactly are the coatings he uses?

Anyone know what the materials he uses actually are?

How does it compare to other refinishers work?
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#12]
M4, the T is for Teflon.  I'm sure the exact composition is a trade secret.

Can't compare it to anything else, because I don't have theirs.

But it's tough enough for the FBI and Navy Seals, among others.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sancho Panza:
M4, the T is for Teflon.  I'm sure the exact composition is a trade secret.

Can't compare it to anything else, because I don't have theirs.

But it's tough enough for the FBI and Navy Seals, among others.
View Quote

Really? Birdsong does these coatings for the military?

Let me ask the question in another way....

How does the Birdsong finishes compare to,say, a factory new Bushmaster finish?
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Much tougher than Bushmaster or Colt finishes.  The process also made my safety and trigger MUCH smoother.

Also, the finish will not shine, but rather remain medium flat, no matter how much Break Free CLP you on it.  It really won't stick to the finish, although I insist on putting it on anyway.

The only problem I've had is the front push pin is difficult to pull out, to remove or switch uppers.  Think they got a little to much Green-T on the inside of the hole.

Walter told me the Green-T is a little thicker than the Black-T.  Says that's why on a Green-T upper and lower, they prefer (insist) to use Black-T on the switches, et c.

Give him a call, he's delightful, and will answer all your questions.

They do go to lunch from Noon until 1 p.m. Central.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:37:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there a web page for Walter Birdsong?

Anyone have a Birdsong finish on their pistol barrel?  If so how does it hold up to slide wear?

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#16]
in some of the new gun rags i've seen pictures of a new Wilson CQB which is green and black....is this the stuff you're talking about here??? if so it is really cool--that green 45 auto made my check writing finger itch....I just put green furniture from RRA on one of my ARs and a green receiver would really be cool....Dick
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:15:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Wilson's catalog says what they use is called Armor Tuff.  How closely it reseambles Black-T or Green-T chemically I haven't a clue.

Based on cost I would say that Black-T is more expensive then Armor Tuff but with that expense probably comes far better performance.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone found a web site yet?  Jus thought I'd try one last time.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#19]
can we see pics please... [:)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry, Walter has no website, and I have no digital camera.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top