Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2001 8:04:47 AM EDT
I'll be coming down from Colorado Springs - is it faster to stick mostly to the interstate and go Amarillo-Lubbock-Abilene, or come down US 287 from Amarillo to Ft. Worth?

The US 287 route is more direct, but I wonder if there's a boatload of stoplights in the little towns along the way, and a lower speed limit?

I'd appreciate any info from someone who's driven all or part of the route.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Last time I went that way I took I-25 down to Raton Pass, US87 all the way down into Amarillo, and then 287 the rest of the way into Ft Worth. US87 is a remote, pactically deserted highway that you can really fly on and 287 was pretty much a four lane highway without much interfernece in most of towns it passes through. I guess I don't know if it was the fastest way or not, but I drove the 2400 miles from Seattle to Temple in a total of 40 hours. Seems like the leg from Denver to Ft Worth took me about 10-12 hours.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Circuits,

I have made the trip from Austin to Wyoming many times and the fastest route that I have found is very similar to what you are doing.  If you are leaving from Colorado Springs, go east to Kit Carson, south on 287 to Amarillo/Lubbock, hit 84 to I10, east on I10 and get off (south)to go to Stephenville on 108 or maybe 281.   From Stephenville it is about 30 miles east.  Unless you just want to drive through Ft. Worth I would avoid it, there is no advantage to do so.

All the Texas roads are good enough to drive fast and you should have no problems with lights (or traffic) until you get off I10.  

PS: I have not found anywhere along this route between Kit Carson (I usually am going further north to Limon) and Amarillo that is good to eat, so plan accordingly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top