Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Better to learn now than later!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Well that seems obvious to me.

Is not the design of the F-22 to shoot down targets from afar, where they are almost invisible on radar but can see their opponents clearly?  

Getting close enough (visual range) engaging in a dogfight and firing off a heat seeker or guns seems like the logical way for a conventional fighter to defeat the F-22.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to downplay the accomplishment, but won't the Eurofighter need to find the f22 first?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is not the design of the F-22 to shoot down targets from afar, before they are picked up on radar?

Getting close enough (visual range) engaging in a dogfight and firing off a heat seeker or guns seems like the logical way for a conventional fighter to defeat the F-22.

But in real engagements the ROE might not allow for BVR fighting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Does not the Luftwaffe use the "dragonfly" G-suit? That might make a difference.

And or we were holding back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
pfft!!! What does that matter? F-22 isn't going to let you get in close enough for a gun fight. He's going to take you out well before he's in your visual range or visible on your radar.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Meh.  Yeah, in visual range, they're pretty evenly matched.

Good luck to the Typhoon in getting to Visual range.  

The F-22 is better at almost everything... in visual range... it's merely equal.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/07/f-22-germans/

$361 million F-22 can not out-dogfight a €90 million Eurofighter.

The results were a surprise to the Germans and presumably the Americans, too. “We were evenly matched,” Maj. Marc Gruene told Combat Aircraft’s Jamie Hunter. The key, Gruene said, is to get as close as possible to the F-22 … and stay there. “They didn’t expect us to turn so aggressively.”

Now, that's the hard part, isn't it? Getting close to a Raptor.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
pfft!!! What does that matter? F-22 isn't going to let you get in close enough for a gun fight. He's going to take you out well before he's in your visual range or visible on your radar.  

Didn't read the article, didja?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The Eurofighter has canards and a delta wing. It should be very maneuverable, but those canards and all the hardpoints on that aircraft also make it show up more on radar. Good luck to the Eurofighter finding the F-22.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Fucking rights.

Both the F-22 and F-35 are fucking dogs.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Hope we don't go to war against Germany again...
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#15]
meant to simulate a close-range dogfight.

Yes, no big shock there.  The F-22 isn't designed for close-in dogfights and that isn't how it is meant to be employed (though as the article shows, it still does well in that role).
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fucking rights.

If only the US hadn't killed the Avro Arrow out of jealousy.

amirite?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not to downplay the accomplishment, but won't the Eurofighter need to find the f22 first?

Yep. Tactic mentioned is common sense. Any bets on how fast we develop a counter-strategy?

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Nemesis must follow you wherever you go when talking like that. Hubris allowed a few thousand Greeks to hold off hundreds of thousands of Persians.

Have we learned nothing from history?

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Better to learn now than later!

True.

I hope the US gets all the issues ironed out and all that jazz.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Is not the design of the F-22 to shoot down targets from afar, where they are almost invisible on radar but can see their opponents clearly?  

I'm not trying to be smart here but does anyone know if American ROE have ever allowed for BVR engagement? I know in Vietnam they did not.

Edit: Er, apparently beaten.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Wait...the F-22 was not designed to be a kill everything dog fighter.  It is a kill everything fighter.  It's strengths are stealth and advanced long range radar...this is what the 400 million dollar price tag does.  The F-22 is a stand off weapon first, but has the the ability to keep pace with other modern aircraft.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#23]
F-22s are sexier, which is the important thing.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is not the design of the F-22 to shoot down targets from afar, before they are picked up on radar?

But in real engagements the ROE might not allow for BVR fighting.

Yes. An initial engagement, especially one that marks the beginning of hostilities, may start and end between a handful of jets at extremely close ranges. It's not a strange thought that the F-22 may be engaged by a hostile after its' pilot is advised to make a "Show of Force". At which point it is a $400 Million F-15.

We all know how the Air Force likes their shows of force.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. Tactic mentioned is common sense. Any bets on how fast we develop a counter-strategy?  

I am pretty sure these mock dogfights start at a common rendezvous point.   That's not how a real shooting war works.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Isn't it funny how the more advanced warfare gets the further it regresses? I mean look at WWI and WWII fighter tactics. Get in close behind them and blast them out of the sky. Now it seems with new stealth technology the only way to reasonably shoot them down is get in close behind them and blast them out of the sky.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I approach this subject with an open mind and eagerly await the gnashing and wailing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking rights.

amirite?

Not really.

Americans are pretty good at lying to themselves and believing it.

You guy spend a shit load of money (F-22, F-35, amongst a slew of other programs), but don't really get anything for it.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not trying to be smart here but does anyone know if American ROE have ever allowed for BVR engagement? I know in Vietnam they did not.

Didn't we have some 20+ mile kills in Iraq 1?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/07/f-22-germans/

$361 million F-22 can not out-dogfight a €90 million Eurofighter.

The fast, stealthy F-22 Raptor is “unquestionably” the best air-to-air fighter in the arsenal of the world’s leading air force. That’s what outgoing Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz wrote in 2009.

Three years later, a contingent of German pilots flying their latest Typhoon fighter have figured out how to shoot down the Lockheed Martin-made F-22 in mock combat. The Germans’ tactics, revealed in the latest Combat Aircraft magazine, represent the latest reality check for the $400-million-a-copy F-22, following dozens of pilot blackouts, and possibly a crash, reportedly related to problems with the unique g-force-defying vests worn by Raptor pilots.

In mid-June, 150 German airmen and eight twin-engine, non-stealthy Typhoons arrived at Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska for an American-led Red Flag exercise involving more than 100 aircraft from Germany, the U.S. Air Force and Army, NATO, Japan, Australia and Poland. Eight times during the two-week war game, individual German Typhoons flew against single F-22s in basic fighter maneuvers meant to simulate a close-range dogfight.

The results were a surprise to the Germans and presumably the Americans, too. “We were evenly matched,” Maj. Marc Gruene told Combat Aircraft’s Jamie Hunter. The key, Gruene said, is to get as close as possible to the F-22 … and stay there. “They didn’t expect us to turn so aggressively.”

Look on the bright side...... between us we have everyone licked.

what a surprise....????

The F-22 is built for High Alt, high speed, BVR engagement....

to say the Tiffie is better than the F-22 is not better than saying the Spitfire was better than the Me-262 because it could outdogfight it at low speed low alt...

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Wait...the F-22 was not designed to be a kill everything dog fighter.  It is a kill everything fighter.  It's strengths are stealth and advanced long range radar...this is what the 400 million dollar price tag does.  The F-22 is a stand off weapon first, but has the the ability to keep pace with other modern aircraft.

right

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Eurofighter has canards and a delta wing. It should be very maneuverable, but those canards and all the hardpoints on that aircraft also make it show up more on radar. Good luck to the Eurofighter finding the F-22.

The F22 is supposed to be an aggressive interceptor - hardly fits the bill if it has to spend it's time hiding from the Eurofighter

More like a predator stalking its prey from tall grass.

I have to be honest though - the Eurofighter is one sexy plane.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#37]
This is why I support war games.  There is always value in picking out data points.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am pretty sure these mock dogfights start at a common rendezvous point.   That's not how a real shooting war works.

So why the fancy schmancy school at Miramar?

Dogfights occur - history should tell you that, mate.

Even in modern conflicts.

LOL, not for the magical F-22.

It's been regulated to air show and college football game fly-by duty ever since it's been introduced.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#39]
So, they're evenly matched in a dogfight when the US pilots are unfamiliar with the German Eurofighters.

Big freakin deal.

That extra money for the F-22 isn't for its vector thrust it's for its radar evasion, radar, and comms that all outmatch the Eurofighter.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So, they're evenly matched in a dogfight when the US pilots are unfamiliar with the German Eurofighters.

Big freakin deal.

That extra money for the F-22 isn't for its vector thrust it's for its radar evasion, radar, and comms that all outmatch the Eurofighter.

and speed and ceiling, and manoeuvrability at high speed....
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking rights.

amirite?

Not really.

Americans are pretty good at lying to themselves and believing it.

You guy spend a shit load of money (F-22, F-35, amongst a slew of other programs), but don't really get anything for it.

Yeah I see the light now.  Our military sucks, thanks for educating me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The F22 is supposed to be an aggressive interceptor - hardly fits the bill if it has to spend it's time hiding from the Eurofighter

Just because you guys are deaf, dumb, and blind in a fight doesn't mean we're hiding.

Hey, if any nation with Eurofighters ever wants to go to war with us I'm not too worried about how quickly we'll stomp the crap out of them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Bunch of experts retards in this thread

So a canned BFM engagement is the halmark of judging a fighters worth.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#46]
So their plan is a tighter turning radius?  Here, I can beat a Eurofighter!

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hope we don't go to war against Germany again...

The French would kick their asses six ways to Sunday if they tried anything!
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the only way you can detect me is with the MkI Mod 0 eyeball, that gives me a lot of options in how a visual range contact starts, even if the ROE does not allow BVR engagements.  Good old fashioned boom and zoom in the 21st century.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#50]
these playing around dog fights are just fighter pilot ego management.
real war means BVR.
WVR is a chance to play, which means its all they do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top