Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/13/2012 4:29:30 PM EDT
Upon finding out that one of his recruits has a possibly loaded weapon with an undetermined number of rounds, instead of trying to talk Recruit Lawrence into disarming himself, I would have calmly ordered Private Joker to clear out the squad bay and get him to call the MPs and an assistant Drill Instructor to keep order.

He didn't do that and paid for it with his life. Luckily, Recruit Lawrence decided to kill himself rather than shoot 19 of his fellow recruits.

If I go to SHOT Show next year, I will ask R Lee Ermey if he chose the wrong method to diffuse that situation.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Upon finding out that one of his recruits has a possibly loaded weapon with an undetermined number of rounds, instead of trying to talk Recruit Lawrence into disarming himself, I would have calmly ordered Private Joker to clear out the squad bay and get him to call the MPs and an assistant Drill Instructor to keep order.

He didn't do that and paid for it with his life. Luckily, Recruit Lawrence decided to kill himself rather than shoot 19 of his fellow recruits.

If I go to SHOT Show next year, I will ask R Lee Ermey if he chose the wrong method to diffuse that situation.

I'm sure R Lee Ermey will think you are a tool if you do that.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#2]
He may go Buzz Aldrin on your young ass.

I'd proceed with caution.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a movie man.  There are these things called scripts that the actors follow and directors that tell them what to do.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
He might smack your face and ask you which side that was.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
CHOKE YOURSELF!

Surely will be the response
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No, but OP will get the opportunity to choke himself.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Private Pyle didn't kill him, Stanley Kubrick did.
And Stanley Kubrick answers to no one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
You know what he's gonna say?

"Stanley Kubrick wanted it that way.  You can go try to talk to him, but he's dead.  Now drop and give me 10 for asking a stupid question."
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Too bad, because Kubrick's films are some of the most self-indulgant, meaningless, overrated pieces of cinematic crap out there.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
It was staged.  He was murdered, he did not kill himself.  Coverup.

You see, the Col had ordered a Code Red.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read that Kubrik originally had the "Easy, you just don't lead 'em so much!" guy slated to play the Gunnery Sgt. Hartman.

Ermey was just a technical advisor at first, but ended up getting the part at the last minute.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#13]
R Lee Ermey will inform the OP that, "he didn't know they stacked shit that high"
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Gustav Hasford
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I always regret not asking the Gunny if I could get a picture of me choking myself when I met him a couple years back...
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

THIS

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read that Kubrik originally had the "Easy, you just don't lead 'em so much!" guy slated to play the Gunnery Sgt. Hartman.

http://i2.listal.com/image/1161533/500full.jpg

Ermey was just a technical advisor at first, but ended up getting the part at the last minute.

Yes

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I  seem to recall an interview in which Gunny said that Hartman was written as a madman or something like that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad, because Kubrick's films are some of the most self-indulgant, meaningless, overrated pieces of cinematic crap out there.

How hard is it to go through life so bitter and out of step with the civilised world?

Now choke yourself!
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"Who said that? Who the fuck said that? Who's the slimy little communist shit, twinkle-toed cocksucker down here who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy fucking godmother said it. Out-fucking-standing.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

........because he couldn't technically advise that fuckstick to do the role right. RLE was put in the role because he owned that role.

I could safely bet that once RLE stepped up, the scene was shot in just one take, or one of several combined first takes.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Movie scripts how do they work

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Movie scripts how do they work

You mean actors don't control the actions of their characters?

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#25]
OP's gonna get called a namby pamby jackwagon in front of his wife.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Is this a joke?
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Get you candy-ass facts straight, boot - he was a SSGT, not a GySGT!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#28]
That disgusting fatbody would have never been able to get ammo in real life.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is this a joke?

Watch the movie and then tell me who is correct.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Here's the last guy that tried that.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's a movie man.  There are these things called scripts that the actors follow and directors that tell them what to do.

This.  He didn't write the script.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Get you candy-ass facts straight, boot - he was a SSGT, not a GySGT!!

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Such things are not obvious to lesser men . . .
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#34]
The character was a Gunnery Sgt.  Ermey was a Staff Sgt who was made a honorary Gunnery Sgt.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#36]
If he's willing to choke out my 6 year old what do you think he's going to do to you?

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Obvious disconnect here,  the character is GSgt. Hartman,  the actor who played him had the rank of SSGT.  He got an honorary promotion to GSGT some 10 years ago for his post enlistment contributions to the Marine Corps public relations/morale, etc. .

<––-  too slow get back!
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
CHOKE YOURSELF!

Surely will be the response

*snicker*.  Good one!
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#39]
There's some big essay somewhere online about FMJ with all of these weird explanations for things that happened in the movie.  For example, it claims that that whole scene where Pyle kills Hartman and himself was actually a dream sequence and how Pyle and Animal Mother were actually the same person and all that crap.  Wish I could find it again.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read somewhere he got the part by doing a 20 minute "Sgt. Hartman" without a script, just an improv based on experience.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://4-riders.com/pics/Mix/PvtPyle.jpg

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://4-riders.com/pics/Mix/PvtPyle.jpg

team glock
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

There's some big essay somewhere online about FMJ with all of these weird explanations for things that happened in the movie.  For example, it claims that that whole scene where Pyle kills Hartman and himself was actually a dream sequence and how Pyle and Animal Mother were actually the same person and all that crap.  Wish I could find it again.

I can see that.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a book titled "The Few and the Proud," where they interviewed Ermey in one chapter.  He basically said that the scene where Pvt. Pyle kills Hartman then himself is complete and total bullshit, and in real life, there's no way in hell that a recruit would have been able to smuggle ammo away from the range.  He fought tooth and claw to get Kubrick to understand that there's no way something like that would happen, but in the end, that scene stayed.

I have news for you.  In bootcamp I was assigned to the brass clean-up detail and we collected a number of live rounds from the range.  It ain't that hard.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#48]
STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 2:33:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have a book titled "The Few and the Proud," where they interviewed Ermey in one chapter.  He basically said that the scene where Pvt. Pyle kills Hartman then himself is complete and total bullshit, and in real life, there's no way in hell that a recruit would have been able to smuggle ammo away from the range.  He fought tooth and claw to get Kubrick to understand that there's no way something like that would happen, but in the end, that scene stayed.

FWIW, the book was written by a Marine.
And tho a bit different than on screen, the suicide scene was in the book.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top