Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2012 11:10:38 AM EDT
Anyone know how long being delayed at Walmart normally takes to hear back from?  Got delayed a few months back, but the gun store followed the 5 day rule and it's yours. Walmart said they have to wait till they hear back to release it to me

Found a pink cricket for 80 though, was going to the range tomorrow and taking the 6 year old daughter. Seemed like a good fit.

Stupid delay :(
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If there is no KY state law, NICS has three business days, not counting the day you submitted the form, to further research you. If NICS doesn't give a response after the three day period, the FFL can transfer the firearm.

I have been told, but can't verify, that the local Wal-Mart here in town will NOT transfer any firearm unless they get a proceed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Get your concealed carry license and never go through a NICS check again.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If there is no KY state law, NICS has three business days, not counting the day you submitted the form, to further research you. If NICS doesn't give a response after the three day period, the FFL can transfer the firearm.

I have been told, but can't verify, that the local Wal-Mart here in town will NOT transfer any firearm unless they get a proceed.

I believe that Wal-Mart corporate policy is no approval = no sale.

It's not the law, but it is their policy.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Didn't need while I was a LEO, just finished a month ago on course. Figure in 30 more days my concealed will come back good.
Interesting tidbit though. The guy at Walmart says they don't care about permit holders. You still get Dan though the system. Only reason I did Walmart was 80$ for the cricket is hard to pass up
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Doesn't work that way around here. At least at the store I got delayed at.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every state is different. Some permits exempt you from the check, others it doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Nebraska exempts you if you have your CCW.  If Wal-Mart tried to tell me otherwise I'd walk out the door without my Cricket.  Life's to short to get jerked around when trying to give money to someone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nebraska exempts you if you have your CCW.  If Wal-Mart tried to tell me otherwise I'd walk out the door without my Cricket.  Life's to short to get jerked around when trying to give money to someone.

Thankfully I don't need to pay into the end. Walmart doesn't want the money until you clear. Unlike my local gun shop, they want themoney upfront even if you get delayed.  If you clear you come back to get up in five days, if not they refund you
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Well there ya go... there is THE law and then there is Wal-Mart law. That store remnds me of one of those futuristic flicks where some giant corporation becomes the .gov. If it ever happens it'll be Wal-Mart  running things.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Wal-Mart around here does not give a shit.  My wife bought me a gun and she had:  her maiden name on her  Montana DL, married name on .mil dependant I.D., NO CCW and a copy of a water bill from my house (my name on the bill) and she had no problem buying the gun.

ETA:  she walked out of the store with the gun in about 20 min.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone know how long being delayed at Walmart normally takes to hear back from?  Got delayed a few months back, but the gun store followed the 5 day rule and it's yours. Walmart said they have to wait till they hear back to release it to me

Found a pink cricket for 80 though, was going to the range tomorrow and taking the 6 year old daughter. Seemed like a good fit.

OP: did you get your gun?  How long did it take?
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP: did you get your gun?  How long did it take?

Sorry, just now remembered about this.  I ended up getting a call from them 4 or 5 days later.  But when I went back in to pickup the gun, it had a rather long scratch on the barrel, and the stock.  It looked like someone had dropped it since it had been left in the display cabinet.  So I got a refund since I won't pay full price for something that I saw obvious damage from being dropped after I started the purchase process.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

any day now :(
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never been delayed (I always give my SSN, maybe that helps?)

Anybody know what the common causes for delays are? Serious question, I honestly don't know.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I am done with a purchase in 5-10 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Anybody know what the common causes for delays are? Serious question, I honestly don't know.

Having a common name is one I've heard.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I give my SSN each time.
But if you have been arrested, someone else has been arrested with your name/dob, someone else is a felon with the same name/dob, court cases pending, ect.

I called a "help desk" number that the gun store gave me a few months back when I got delayed there, seeing if there was anything I could do to clear it up.  
A "nice lady" answered, and gave me lots of info.  I sadly don't remember it all, but nothing I could change that would keep me from being delayed.
I am trying to remember if it was here or on these forums that someone said you can submit a file to stay on record with your SSN that keeps whatever delayed you from being delayed again, but that means they hold a record with your info(tin foil hat, so prob here)
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

you're goddam right.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Wonder how many folks would pissed off if they had to fill out a form, and have the .gov do a background check in order to exercise their right to vote.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I've been delayed once or twice.  It seems pretty random to me.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't need while I was a LEO, just finished a month ago on course. Figure in 30 more days my concealed will come back good.
Interesting tidbit though. The guy at Walmart says they don't care about permit holders. You still get Dan though the system. Only reason I did Walmart was 80$ for the cricket is hard to pass up

I have bought several rifles from walmart and just used my CHP permit and not once did I have to do a back ground check
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I give my SSN each time.
But if you have been arrested, someone else has been arrested with your name/dob, someone else is a felon with the same name/dob, court cases pending, ect.

I called a "help desk" number that the gun store gave me a few months back when I got delayed there, seeing if there was anything I could do to clear it up.  
A "nice lady" answered, and gave me lots of info.  I sadly don't remember it all, but nothing I could change that would keep me from being delayed.
I am trying to remember if it was here or on these forums that someone said you can submit a file to stay on record with your SSN that keeps whatever delayed you from being delayed again, but that means they hold a record with your info(tin foil hat, so prob here)

They already have your info, you're just not aware of it.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every state is different. Some permits exempt you from the check, others it doesn't.

Some stores ignore permits too. Mills Fleet Farm calls in a NICS check for every gun purchase-or at least, they did until they started carrying handguns, which require a purchase permit in IA. I haven't bought a gun from them since before handguns were in their stores so I don't know what current policy is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Been told triggers are a criminal record(more than speeding tickets but no felonies), same or similar name as a felon and owing back child support.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#26]
They signed on with that Mayors Against Illegal Guns bullshit.

RESPONSIBLE FIREARMS RETAILER PARTNERSHIP:
A 10-Point Voluntary Code

1. Videotaping the Point of Sale for All Firearms Transactions. Participating retailers will videotape the point-of-sale of all firearms transactions and maintain videos for 6 months to deter illegal purchases and monitor employees.

2. Computerized Crime Gun Trace Log and Alert System. Participating retailers will maintain a computerized log of crime gun traces relating to the retailer. Once the program is in place, if a customer who has a prior trace at that retailer attempts to purchase a firearm, the sale will be electronically flagged. The retailer would have discretion to proceed with the sale or stop the sale.

3. Purchaser Declaration. For sales flagged by the trace alert system, participating retailers will ask purchasers to fill out a declaration indicating that they meet the legal requirement to purchase the firearm.

4. Deterring Fake IDs. Participating retailers will only accept valid federal- or state-issued picture IDs as primary identification. Retailers will utilize additional ID checking mechanisms.

5. Consistent Visible Signage. Participating retailers will post signage created by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership to alert customers of their legal responsibilities at the point-of-sale.

6. Employee Background Checks. Participating retailers will conduct criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms.

7. Employee Responsibility Training. Participating retailers will participate in an employee responsibility training program focused on deterring illegal purchasers. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership will create an online training system based on Wal-Mart's training program.

8. Inventory Checking. Participating retailers will conduct daily and quarterly audits. Guidelines will be based on Wal-Mart's firearms audit check procedures.

9. No Sales Without Background Check Results. Participating retailers would prohibit sales based on "default proceeds," which are permitted by law when the background check has not returned a result within 3 days.

10. Securing Firearms. Participating retailers will maintain firearms kept in customer accessible areas in locked cases or locked to racks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#27]
How about this:

1.  Do not buy a gun from Wal Mart.  Wal Mart is for ammo.
2.  Buy a gun from a local dealer that follows the 5 day rule.

Wal Mart is cool and the gang, and I support getting most goods where they are cheapest, but try to find a local dealer and support him.  You can build a relationship with your local dealer.  With wally world, it is all just "policy".
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I was told at Wal-Mart and Academy that they won't sell to you if you get delayed past the time they stop selling guns that day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I used to always get delayed before they changed the NICS reporting scheme after the Virginia Tech shooting.  Now I always get a "proceed," with a 10 or 20 minute wait at most.  I think they were unable to tell the difference between disqualifying convictions and non-disqualifying ones, at least from Arkansas, at the time.

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

How about this:

1. Do not buy a gun from Wal Mart. Wal Mart is for ammo.

2. Buy a gun from a local dealer that follows the 5 day rule.

Wal Mart is cool and the gang, and I support getting most goods where they are cheapest, but try to find a local dealer and support him. You can build a relationship with your local dealer. With wally world, it is all just "policy".

this is how i roll too.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in Ohio..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top