Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2012 9:07:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
CBS had the same story last week.  It's part of an organized push to turn our health system into government payer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Ask a doc how much for a procedure like that - they usually cannot tell you.  You have to go in blind or go in as an emergency.  

And yes, uninsured pay the most in most cases.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They said that patients on Medicare and the non-insured paid the most, which is to me. And for profit hospitals charged the most which seems like what should be happening so I'm not sure what their point on that is.

That's because private insurance companies dictate the costs to the hospitals and clinics, the .gov and non-insurance really have no say in it.

You see it all the time at clinics, you can even hear your Dr. bitch about it if you listen close enough.

"Aetna will only pay us this much for this procedure, etc.." The Dr's file a claim and take what they can get.

Medicare and the non-insured get screwed because the .gov doesn't have to skimp to stay in business and non-insured just get fucked, what are you going to do, not pay?

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#6]
It's pretty much bullshit that they can't give estimates or quotes on procedures IMO. In just about any other industry it would be illegal. For example, if you had to take your car in for regular service and they told you that you'd have to get it serviced first to find out the price that you have to pay.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#8]
1500?

Do they also offer to inject window and door silicon into your butt cheeks before the mad dog 20/20 anesthesia wears off?
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#9]
propagada piece.
medicare, along with medicaid, pay the lowest rates.
insurance companies can not reinburse at a lower rate than medicare. in fact, most reinbursement rates are based off of medicare rates.
for you that complain that you can't get a price for something from a doctor, here is an overview on how medicare reinbursement rates are calculated.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/433293_2
an excerpt is

Physician Payment

Since January 1, 1992, payment for physician
services has been based on a fee schedule. The fee schedule also applies
to chiropractors, podiatrists, optometrists, nurse practitioners, and
physician assistants. The use of a fee schedule replaced the prior
method of paying for "reasonable charges" because of wide geographic
region-related variations in fees, a rapid rise in program payments, and
the fact that payments frequently did not reflect the resources used
and that physicians in different specialties could receive different
payments for the same service. The new fee schedule is based on the
"relative value" of the service and was recommended to the Congress by
the Physician Payment Review Commission, a congressionally established
advisory body. In September 1997, this committee was replaced by the
Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, which is an independent federal
body that advises Congress on Medicare including issues of physician
payment. It is composed of physicians, nurses, osteopaths, clinical
researchers, attorneys, and insurance company executives.

The fee that a physician is paid has three
components: the relative value for the service, a GPCI, and a national
dollar conversion factor. The relative value portion of this equation is
composed of the following: 1) a physician work component that measures
the time, skill, and intensity associated with the service provided ––
this component accounts for 54.5% of a service's relative value; 2) a
practice-related expense component that measures average practice
expenses such as office rents and employee wages and that varies on a
code-by-code basis depending on whether the service is performed in a
facility or nonfacility setting –– this accounts for 42.3% of a
service's relative value; and 3) malpractice expense component that
reflects average insurance cost –– this accounts for 3.2% of a service's
relative value.
The GPCI is designed to account for variations in the costs of
practicing medicine. A separate GPCI is determined for each of the three
component of the RVU and takes into consideration median hourly
earnings of workers in the area, office rents, medical equipment and
supplies, and other miscellaneous expenses. There are 90 GPCI areas
nationwide. The conversion factor is a dollar figure that converts the
geographically adjusted relative value for a service into a dollar
payment amount. The conversion factor is updated yearly. The conversion
factor for 2001 was $38.2581. The law specifies that physicians who
provide covered services in any rural or urban Health Professional
Shortage Area (there are 2,901 such areas in the United States) are
entitled to an incentive payment of 10% more than what they would
otherwise be paid under the fee schedule.

The general formula for determining total
RVUs is: [work RVU x work GPCI] + [practice expense RVU x practice
expense GPCI] + [malpractice RVU x malpractice GPCI] = total RVU;
payment = total RVU x conversion factor ($38.2581 for 2001). See
for several examples of payments in Pittsburgh.

Current Procedure Terminology coding and RVUs
are important not only with regard to reimbursement from Medicare but
also for private insurers. Although no data have been published, there
is a general notion that CPT coding and RVUs are used by most private
insurers as a basis for reimbursement of physician-related services.

for example, you can look up base rates here
http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/PFSLookup/index.html?redirect=/PFSlookup/02_PFSSearch.asp#TopOfPage
for an appendectomy, the base hcpcs code is 44950.

the national base rate is $638. to see how widely it varies, include all the modifiers, and choose all for carriers.
worse, the claims for services will be reviewed by medicare, who may deny claims based on (in thier determination), the wrong code being used, not enough data to support a certain code, or they lump charges together, and claim they are all part of the same treatment charge, and only one charge will be paid (called global charges - i.e. a cut is sutured, gets infected, needs to be openned and cleaned further, is seen for, say, 5 more visits - medicare will try to say all the follow up stuff was paid as part of the initial payment, covered as part of follow up care).
in general, medicare reinbursements are so low, they aren't worth the hassle, and doctors limit the number of medicare patients they carry.
the only reason they would be pushing medicare as a great thing for the medical field, is to try to spin the idea that everyone should love obama care's single payer system, and the money that they would make off of it.

edit to add hcpcs code

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They said that patients on Medicare and the non-insured paid the most, which is to me. And for profit hospitals charged the most which seems like what should be happening so I'm not sure what their point on that is.

That's because private insurance companies dictate the costs to the hospitals and clinics, the .gov and non-insurance really have no say in it.

You see it all the time at clinics, you can even hear your Dr. bitch about it if you listen close enough.

"Aetna will only pay us this much for this procedure, etc.." The Dr's file a claim and take what they can get.

Medicare and the non-insured get screwed because the .gov doesn't have to skimp to stay in business and non-insured just get fucked, what are you going to do, not pay?

This is completely backwards.  Medicare and Medicaid pay the least and the government does not negotiate the reimbursement, they simply tell the physician they can take it or leave it.  Private insurance reimbursement rates are calculated as a percentage of Medicare, say something like 120%.  Uninsured patients can negotiate an amount or go to the state hospitals and likely receive free care (itself not always a bad option as usually the most skilled physicians operate out of state funded tertiary care facilities).
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#11]
My insurance company was billed a total of $22k for mine last fall, including aftercare, follow-up visits, etc. They had prenegotiated discounts to cut it down by half, and then they paid the remainder.

ETA: caught it very early, open procedure, didn't burst, no complications, no infections, so mine was about as basic as you could get

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#12]
An uncomplicated (intact) appendectomy could be done on an outpatient basis.   Hell, one was done in a submarine during WWII by the pharmacist's mate using ether anesthesia.   The cost and trouble of surgery prolongs the agony for the patient and could cause more to rupture which would increase the total cost of care.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Always question what you're not being told in the propaganda that we erroneously call "news stories"....because that's what they are. Propaganda.

Appendectomy. Well, I'm not a surgeon...but as I understand surgery they can be relatively simple affairs handled on an almost outpatient basis, or they can turn into an utter nightmare if you end up with complications....complications like infection, surgical error, allergic reaction to medication, and any host of other bizarre shit that can happen when you start cutting on people's innards. Sometimes these complications from simple surgeries can put people in intensive care...sometimes even in the morgue. Now all those costs could be tallied up to "appendectomy", but if you look at the chart of the "expensive" patients then it's probably going to have a hell of a lot more involved than "appendectomy".

The fact that the most expensive ones happened to medicare patients sounds to me like common fucking sense given that older folks have more health problems and are probably more likely to experience complications from damn near any sort of medical procedure, including surgery. Doing things to people who are in relatively poorer health might be risky. Who knew? The idea that Medicare pays more than anyone is absurd, as anyone who has been on the payee end of Medicare knows they tell you what they are going to pay without giving the slightest fuck about the cost you actually incurred. What are you going to do, sue? Ha!

Yes, medicare is going to run out of money, but that's because it's a fucking stupid program...not, I think you'll find, because docs/hostpitals are charging 180 grand for an appendectomy that somebody else down the road is doing for 1,500 bucks. More than likely that 180,000 dollar patient wasn't a simple surgery whatsoever...but since you can't see that patient's chart (confidentiality) all you see is the bill, and we as the ignorant public assume an appendectomy is an appendectomy. Medicare is in trouble because from the day it started it's payed out more money than it's taken in with tax revenues.

I could be wrong, but my spidey sense tells me I'm hovering somewhere around the truth on that.

Without looking at the charts of what was actually involved in the procedure that gets labeled "appendectomy" it gets rather difficult to go arguing that X cost for a particular procedure was excessive.

Ask an economics student how that plays into doing a paper on "Legislative Affects on Market Incentives in the Healthcare Industry". Makes research a pain in the ass. An unspecified pain with no detailed information other than the final bill.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine was about $16k in '08. I arrived at the ER at around 1400 and was discharged the following morning.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
they should charge $2 million for that procedure.

Don't like it?  Go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
CBS had the same story last week.  It's part of an organized push to turn our health system into government payer.

There is probably some truth to it, because private insurers are allowed to negotiate prices, while medicare is not.  Moronic IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Did y'all even watch the video?

It is possible they are lying, but they covered the complications part.

Honestly, no.  My flash player keeps crashing.  Is this the same one where a 20 year old girl was bitching that after her's that she was left with a $1,100 bill that insurance wouldn't cover that prevented her from going on spring break?

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad I paid out of pocket for my wife's appendectomy. Hospital sent us a bill for $35,000. I called them up to see if we could negotiate on that price and they knocked it down to $13,000 if I paid out of pocket in full. I went out there that same day with a check for $13K. I guess insurance companies and medicare/medicaid must be the ones that pay the high rate.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#22]
My primary physician has my blood taken and tested every three months. The cost was $98. When I became Medicare eligible, but still covered under my wife's health insurance, the price on the same blood test was raised to $214.
I can tell of some more rip offs by the health care industry but I don't want to write a book.
Services are not priced by the actual job, but who is having it done.
The sad thing is that it is allowed by gov't and actually even promoted by gov't.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#23]
There has not been a free market in health care since the 40's.
Once a majority of people were covered by medical Insurance it was
pretty much all over as far as any type of competition or market forces were concerned.
Add in government mandates that hospitals have to treat anyone regardless of there ability to pay and you have the expensive mess you have now.
My wife has insurance through her work.Total cost for a family of 4 is around 25K per year. She pays 30% of the cost.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I have often seen those ads in magazines asking for $250 to cover the cost of repairing a cleft lip for children in third world countries.
Not to criticize the charitable work these docs are doing but I have wondered what the same surgery would cost here.
I bet it's a lot more then $250.00
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have often seen those ads in magazines asking for $250 to cover the cost of repairing a cleft lip for children in third world countries.
Not to criticize the charitable work these docs are doing but I have wondered what the same surgery would cost here.
Do you think Doctors Without Borders spends 50% of their revenue on malpractice insurance?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I find it to be bullshit that if someone I know (that doesn't have insurance) goes to the doctor and then I go (I have insurance) for the EXACT SAME REASON that they will pay more for the office visit.....a lot more!

They want to pay their bill but simply cannot afford insurance as they are on a fixed income (retired) but don't qualify for Medicaid.  It is sickening to me that someone that worked their whole life is left out in the cold while the scum that lives down the street has 3 kids from 3 different daddy's, doesn't work, and gets paid by the .gov for food, shelter, and medical expenses.  It sickens me
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is completely backwards.  Medicare and Medicaid pay the least and the government does not negotiate the reimbursement, they simply tell the physician they can take it or leave it.  Private insurance reimbursement rates are calculated as a percentage of Medicare, say something like 120%.  Uninsured patients can negotiate an amount or go to the state hospitals and likely receive free care (itself not always a bad option as usually the most skilled physicians supervise lowly paid sleep deprived surgery residents at state funded tertiary care facilities).

FIFY.

ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Medicare, medicaid, and 99% of the insurance companies have  a fixed price they pay for appendectomy, gall bladder, etc etc.

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT THE HOSPITAL BILL SAYS, THIRD PARTY PAYORS PAY PER THEIR SET FEE SCHEDULE.

Let me repeat that for the slow folks in class.

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT THE HOSPITAL  BILL SAYS, THIRD PARTY PAYORS  PAY PER THEIR SET FEE SCHEDULE.

The ONLY folks affected  by the funny money bills are those without insurance.  They are charged sticker price.  And the once in a blue moon insurance company that pays on the % and not a fixed schedule.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I find it to be bullshit that if someone I know (that doesn't have insurance) goes to the doctor and then I go (I have insurance) for the EXACT SAME REASON that they will pay more for the office visit.....a lot more!

They want to pay their bill but simply cannot afford insurance as they are on a fixed income (retired) but don't qualify for Medicaid.  It is sickening to me that someone that worked their whole life is left out in the cold while the scum that lives down the street has 3 kids from 3 different daddy's, doesn't work, and gets paid by the .gov for food, shelter, and medical expenses.  It sickens me

Don't forget how much you pay for health insurance.  At the end of the year, what you spent vs what they spent will reveal you spent a bunch more.

Friend with no insurance goes to doc and pays $150 for visit because he has no insurance.

You go and pay $20 copay and your insurance co kicks in another $50 for a total of $70.  But don't forget the $6000 you paid in insurance premiums that year.

You paid $6020 for that visit while your buddy paid $150.

Still mad?
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Medicare, medicaid, and 99% of the insurance companies have  a fixed price they pay for appendectomy, gall bladder, etc etc.

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT THE HOSPITAL BILL SAYS, THIRD PARTY PAYORS PAY PER THERE SET FEE SCHEDULE.

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT THE HOSPITAL  BILL SAYS, THIRD PARTY PAYORS  PAY PER THERE SET FEE SCHEDULE.

The ONLY folks affected  by the funny money bills are those without insurance.  They are charged sticker price.  And the once in a blue moon insurance company that pays on the % and not a fixed schedule.

And what started this was the hospital billed the Dr's friend the remaining balance.

Then he has crappy insurance.  All that fine print, read it.  It is a contract. Don't like it? Find another company and contract with better terms.  Plus there a zillions of factors to consider that are never mentioned.  In network vs out of network, pre existing condition, etc etc etc

And here is the background on the doc that brought all this 'injustice' to light.  

http://academiclifeinem.blogspot.com/2009/06/faculty-spotlight-dr-renee-hsia.html

What is your academic niche and how did you decide upon it?
I am absolutely passionate about the clinical practice of EM and, without a doubt, being in the emergency department forms not only the basis of my work, but also provides the impetus behind my research. Beyond the clinical practice, I spend a lot of time thinking about the development of health systems and its impact on populations, both domestically and globally. I can pinpoint when this broader perspective came alive to me to a brief period of my life when I lived in South Africa for six months. As a “colored” in that society, I realized on a very personal level that systems matter, and that almost all of the disparities I saw — and experienced — stemmed from policies that were intentionally and systematically designed to not only create, but also maintain, these injustices.

After that, I spent small bits of my life in different parts of the world between and after medical school, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa, from Rwanda to Senegal to Eritrea. After some pretty wild experiences (spanning the spectrum of becoming delirious with malarial fevers to ducking gunfire from the Congo), I decided to commit to developing my interests in health policy and finance at the London School of Economics and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

Hmmmm, I am sure she doesn't have an agenda.  

Propaganda piece to support Obamacare and Obama.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you think Doctors Without Borders spends 50% of their revenue on malpractice insurance?

Kharn

Did you know that doctors pay 3% of their gross, except for gynos and they pay about 5%?

That is less than most small businesses pay for liability (general and auto) percentage wise.

Look it up.

Which can run between $10,000 to $250,000 a year.

I did look it up. Using rates can be deceptive when the actual numbers tell a different story.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Did y'all even watch the video?

It is possible they are lying, but they covered the complications part

No flame, but I didn't see where they covered the complication part.

I suspect that the $1529 bill was as follows:

16 y/o teenager with symptoms consistent with appendicitis and an equivocal CT of the abdomen.  The appendix was surgically removed but was normal.

I suspect that the $183,000 bill was as follows:

76 y/o diabetic smoker with a 20+ medication list who came in with appendicitis and had a prolonged ICU stay complete with a trach, PEG, C. Diff. colitis from all the antibiotics, etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Didn't know there was that big a spread with appendectomy costs. I have no clue how much my emergency appendectomy cost.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't have link yet, but it was just on ABC's "Medical Minute".

They said that patients on Medicare and the non-insured paid the most, which is to me.
Thoughts?

Part of that is that health insurance providers can compare costs and know what things should cost - so they drive a harder bargain with healthcare providers - and healthcare providers are more willing to accept it because they don't want to lose a huge chunk of business by being cut off from that healthcare providers patients.

Non-insured pays out the nose because they pay "list" price; plus they have no information to compare or leverage to use with the healthcare provider.

Medicare pays out the nose because it tends to cover higher-risk patients, has higher administrative costs, and just in general, it is run by the government who doesn't seem to ever manage costs well.

Those are my almost completely uninformed thoughts on the matter.  I know one big problem I see is a disconnect between patient, insurance and provider.  My provider recommened some vaccine that I was 99% sure I had already received in the military.  He said, "Hey, your insurance covers this.  Why not be safe and get the vaccine since we aren't sure?"  I agreed.  Later on, I learned the vaccine costs $100/pop.  There is no way I would have paid it if it had been coming out of my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT THE HOSPITAL BILL SAYS, THIRD PARTY PAYORS PAY PER THEIR SET FEE SCHEDULE.

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT THE HOSPITAL  BILL SAYS, THIRD PARTY PAYORS  PAY PER THEIR SET FEE SCHEDULE.

What he said.  
The anesthesia is also billed per unit.  Medicare and Medicaid have a set number per unit.  Your insurance has negotiated one a little higher.  The uninsured guy gets a whatever the fuck the dept charges full freight. Of course, he will stiff us.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Did you know that doctors pay 3% of their gross, except for gynos and they pay about 5%?

That is less than most small businesses pay for liability (general and auto) percentage wise.

Look it up.

Which can run between $10,000 to $250,000 a year.

I did look it up. Using rates can be deceptive when the actual numbers tell a different story.

Percentage of gross cannot be misleading. There is no way.

What is your point? Auto insurance alone can cost the numbers you posted.

Its like saying Romney only pays 14% in income tax. Never mind that 14% for him is $6,200,000.

Sure 3% of gross doesn't sound like much but it can be a lot of money to be paying in for insurance on the doc. Multiply that by 4 or 5 docs in a practice and you could be paying $1,000,000 a year. It is a major expense of the practice, sometimes actually equaling or surpassing the physician's salary.

I doubt the plumber or electrician is paying $150,000 a year in auto insurance on his fleet of 5 vans for his business.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

By the very nature of medical missions, nobody is making any money. How much would you pay a skilled physician to fix your child's cleft lip? How much would you pay the anesthesiologist to make sure your kid wakes up and isn't brain damaged?
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT THE HOSPITAL BILL SAYS, THIRD PARTY PAYORS PAY PER THERE SET FEE SCHEDULE.

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT THE HOSPITAL  BILL SAYS, THIRD PARTY PAYORS  PAY PER THERE SET FEE SCHEDULE.

And what started this was the hospital billed the Dr's friend the remaining balance.

Then either the hospital didn't bill correctly, or the patient (and Doctor) didn't understand the bill or EOB  (Explanation of Benefits).   That is quite literally like taking a $500 gift certificate into your local electronics store...buying a TV at the wonderful, on sale price of $600....down from the suggested retail of $1000...so you give them the gift certificate and $100...then when the clerk says "You saved $400 on the price of the TV over our normal price"...you pull out an extra $400 and give it to them....

I watched the video...paused on the bill.   From the bill (and, by the way...it doesn't have the surgeon's bill on there...just the hospital part)...he went in through the ER, got a CT scan, and was an inpatient for a period of time....so presumably, the 'routine' appendectomy they mention was probably emergent.  

Mentioned above....Medicare, by LAW gets the best rates.   They've gone after drug companies who gave rebates to large insurance providers because the drug (after rebates) wound up being a few pennies cheaper than Medicare pays.    Any Medicare patient paying large $$ for an appendectomy probably has a great deal of other things complicating the surgery....the CPT (Current Procedural Termnology) was mentioned above...and the hospital only gets a flat rate for the time/surgery fees.....the DRG (Diagnosis Related Group)...based on the diagnosis the patient was admitted with.    If the patient develops an infection in the hospital...Medicare isn't going to pay any extra for treatement.

Here's a link to Payments for various parts of an Appendectomy....the DRG, the Surgeon's fees, etc...

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its like saying Romney only pays 14% in income tax. Never mind that 14% for him is $6,200,000.

Sure 3% of gross doesn't sound like much but it can be a lot of money to be paying in for insurance on the doc. Multiply that by 4 or 5 docs in a practice and you could be paying $1,000,000 a year. It is a major expense of the practice, sometimes actually equaling or surpassing the physician's salary.

I doubt the plumber or electrician is paying $150,000 a year in auto insurance on his fleet of 5 vans for his business.

Percent of gross is not misleading at all.

If a doctor does gross sales of  $1M and pays $30K in liability, he pays 3%.

If a widget maker has $1M in gross sales and his insurance costs are $30K it is 3%

Insurance is a major expense for all businesses. The reason doctors think it is so much because they mainly sell labor. They don't have COGS running at 50% so of course insurance looks huge on their P&L.

Doctors don't pay any more for insurance that any other business, in fact the numbers say they pay less percentage wise. That is just a fact.

If a Doctor does Gross sales of 1 Million...say a 50% overhead...his 'salary' is about $500k.    That would put him in the top Neurosurgeon, top Orthopedic Surgeon, fee for service Plastic Surgeon range...with Malpractice of $100k a year (or more).   So that's 10%.    Just got an e-mail with a salary survey...average Radiologist and Ortho surgeons make $300k.....and Ortho's pay (in this geographic area) about $75k to $120k in malpractice (depends on what surgeries they do...backs pay more than knees/hips, etc.).

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then either the hospital didn't bill correctly, or the patient (and Doctor) didn't understand the bill or EOB  (Explanation of Benefits).   That is quite literally like taking a $500 gift certificate into your local electronics store...buying a TV at the wonderful, on sale price of $600....down from the suggested retail of $1000...so you give them the gift certificate and $100...then when the clerk says "You saved $400 on the price of the TV over our normal price"...you pull out an extra $400 and give it to them....

I watched the video...paused on the bill.   From the bill (and, by the way...it doesn't have the surgeon's bill on there...just the hospital part)...he went in through the ER, got a CT scan, and was an inpatient for a period of time....so presumably, the 'routine' appendectomy they mention was probably emergent.  

Mentioned above....Medicare, by LAW gets the best rates.   They've gone after drug companies who gave rebates to large insurance providers because the drug (after rebates) wound up being a few pennies cheaper than Medicare pays.    Any Medicare patient paying large $$ for an appendectomy probably has a great deal of other things complicating the surgery....the CPT (Current Procedural Termnology) was mentioned above...and the hospital only gets a flat rate for the time/surgery fees.....the DRG (Diagnosis Related Group)...based on the diagnosis the patient was admitted with.    If the patient develops an infection in the hospital...Medicare isn't going to pay any extra for treatement.

Here's a link to Payments for various parts of an Appendectomy....the DRG, the Surgeon's fees, etc...

AFARR

So a patient that gets a bill for $21K after his insurance pays $30K doesn't understand the hospital's bill?  Yeah that's an understatement.

Look at the link I posted above (PDF of average Medicare reimbursements for inpatient stays/outpatient stays, etc.) to get a true picture of what Medicare pays.     If the Hospital bill the guy had was $53k....and his insurance paid $30k, either the hospital mistakenly billed him for the remainder (possible...happens more than you'd think due to the screwed up process of how bills go through the system)...or he screwed up.

Anything from ABC/CBS/CNN, etc at this point is suspect to me....way too much political agenda there for them to have any reasonable journalistic standards.

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Percent of gross is not misleading at all.

If a doctor does gross sales of  $1M and pays $30K in liability, he pays 3%.

If a widget maker has $1M in gross sales and his insurance costs are $30K it is 3%

Insurance is a major expense for all businesses. The reason doctors think it is so much because they mainly sell labor. They don't have COGS running at 50% so of course insurance looks huge on their P&L.

Doctors don't pay any more for insurance that any other business, in fact the numbers say they pay less percentage wise. That is just a fact.

please provide a the background and/or a link that shows that insurance rates for doctors are based on percentage of gross revenues, or, if that is not the intended statement you are trying to make, provide information on the insurance rates various doctors are paying, and their specialties?

I think that the amounts you think doctors are paying for insurance is incorrect.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top