Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2001 4:43:32 PM EDT
Given the ability to project yourself into the past but NOT RETURN, would you do so?  Where would you go and what would you try to accomplish if you knew you could change history?  

(You cannot directly affect yourself and close friends, relatives... but you can, say for example, visit General Westmoreland in 1967 with intel & books, etc, you might tell him about the Chu Chi tunnels of course among other stuff)
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go back to saturday before the flight, and ask them to take a couple of F-18's along for the mission.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go back to 1990 and buy every pre ban rifle and all the hi cap magazines I could afford. [:D] milldude
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Not everyone at once now guys....
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
why bother, history only repeats itself.

but i guess i go with the end of WW2 and let Patton invade Russia. could of settled the whole cold war thing right there. it might have prevented the situtions the world faces today
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go back to this morning and not bother getting up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
This question should have been military related...
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By garden weasel:
View Quote

ha! ha! ha! he named himself after a garden tool[:D] duh!
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go back a few min. and not bother postimg the above idea.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Back another min. and spell posting right.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I laughed and pulled a back muscle, guess I'll have to stay behind when you guys invade China...
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This question should have been military related...
View Quote

I would go back and read this before posting the above two while thinking about the military.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Id go back to the garden of Eden with snakeloads in my 44mag
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go back to the late 60's and this time, [red]LISTEN[/red] to my Gandparents telling me about family history
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd go back in time and find out if my parents did walk up hill both ways in 5 ft of snow to get to school or go back and spend more time in typing class
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I would visit Jeff Davis in 1859 with a number of Civil War books, but also a number of tech manuals on manufacturing/metalurgy/firearm processes.
It would be interesting to see what he would do with the knowledge. Try to win a war, he knows he will lose, or delay the war so that he could build up the manufacturing base enough to win the war.
[smoke]
It would be also interesting to give a few different volumes of WWII history including Winston's & German memoirs to the German General staff in 1935 and see if they would have allowed Hitler to go to war.
[uzi]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd give the Confederacy the a-bomb. he he
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd go back to 1787 and the Constitutional Congress that was composing the Constitution,
and proposing the Bill of Rights, and bring with me three items:

[b]1.[/b] Copy of 2000 Income Tax Return Form 1040a, along with instruction booklet for completing same;

[b]2.[/b] Copy of Emancipation Proclamation issued by President Lincoln on 1 JAN 1863, along with a copy of the Gettysburg Address; and

[b]3.[/b] Colt M-16, with a few 30 round mags and a couple cases of mixed 5.56 military ammo.

With the first items, I believe that I could convince a majority of the Delegates to add a few new articles banning any income tax, ever, under any circumstances, for whatever reason.

With the second items, I believe that a majority of the Delegates could be convinced to abolish slavery once and for all, from the beginning.

Finally, with the Colt M-16, I believe that a majority would be sufficiently impressed so as to make the Second Amendment mandatory (just kidding[:D]).  

BTW, Gentlemen, leave out that introductory phrase and simply state [i]'The RIGHT and DUTY of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not be Infringed.'[/i]

Eric (Let's get it Right, this time) The Hun

Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ha! ha! ha! he named himself after a garden tool[:D] duh!
View Quote

When my girlfriend told me no more ho's
I thought she meant hoes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd go back to the writing of the Bill of Rights and word all the amendments so that even liberals could not redefine what they ment.

Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Totally disagree with Gen. Patton. Without nukes, the Soviets would have overrun Western Europe.
Our supply lines were thousands of miles long, we had years less experience, and their armor was awesome.
Our air power and navy were our only advantages.
[smoke]
...unless we re-armed the Germans & Japanese and sent them out again...$.02
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Well as far as any military thing I would visit Independence Hall and take copies of all this anti legislation and get them to reword the second so it would not be distorted(by liberals) as it is now.

Since my mom died when I was 19 @ 46 years old I think I would want to know her in  younger life.  It seems I can remember her well but I never had a chance to really know her.  It seems wierd you get to know your buddy in gym class in a few weeks but don't start to know your parents until, at least for me and my dad, the mid 20's.  I guess when you move out the relationship changes.  Didn't have that chance with her so that would be my pick!
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Id go back to the garden of Eden with snakeloads in my 44mag
View Quote

Man with a plan! A great one!
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since my mom died when I was 19 @ 46 years old I think I would want to know her in  younger life.  It seems I can remember her well but I never had a chance to really know her.  It seems wierd you get to know your buddy in gym class in a few weeks but don't start to know your parents until, at least for me and my dad, the mid 20's.  I guess when you move out the relationship changes.  Didn't have that chance with her so that would be my pick!
View Quote

upon reading this for some reason all the other posts just don't seam as important. my regards.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I have always thought about how much difference I could make on the outcome of the Civil War were I to have a M1A with lots of ammo, during that time.  Something with both long range accuracy and capable of some serious firepower.  Have a spotter with an AR and myself, 'dismissing' some of the important personnel of the union.  Also what the most effective arms to take, having only stuff the spotter and I can carry with us.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Patriot_Dave, if someone can argue the meaning of the word "is", than it is IMHO impossible to write something that is perfectly clear and cannot be argued.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#26]
ditto  what ericthehun said

also, i wouldnt mind bitchslapping karl marx a few times. and whip stalin [spank]

for more recent history i would study harder in school. apply myself more to tasks at hand. recycled when in basic, or better yet started off with the airforce. i admit that im a loser. very young and dumb then. i wasted a good deal of my life (10yrs) doing nothing with no direction. still dont have any direction, but at leat going back in time would buy me more time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd go back and remove the legislation that allowed woman to vote!!!
Then we wouldn't have to worry about all these insane gun laws!!! There wouldn't be Pre and Post ban, and all firearms would cost a hell of alot less. Not to metion all of the other laws that came about from woman, F*gs, Liberals and DEMOCRATS, oh wait a sec, they are pretty much all the same.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 3:55:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd go back and not marry my first wife.  And before you say it: that IS military-related....you weren't there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 3:59:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
ditto  what ericthehun said

also, i wouldnt mind bitchslapping karl marx a few times. and whip stalin [spank]

for more recent history i would study harder in school. apply myself more to tasks at hand. recycled when in basic, or better yet started off with the airforce. i admit that im a loser. very young and dumb then. i wasted a good deal of my life (10yrs) doing nothing with no direction. still dont have any direction, but at leat going back in time would buy me more time.
View Quote

YOU BROKE THE RULES, GO BACK AND READ THE QUESTION AGAIN DAMMMMMIT.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I`d go back to the early days of nam and do my best to persuade the gov`t to NOT issue ar rifles, until they were THUROUGHLY tested and the "bugs" worked out, proper training etc....(i would also spend A LOT more good times with some of my buddies that did not come back----some regrets there!)....
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Lots of Civil war thoughts coming up on this subject. :)

Lets see, maybe make it so Stonwall Jackson doesn't get injured and dies.  Then he would have been in command of the early part of Gettysburg and would have taken the hill. :)

On Sniping during the Civil war... Here is a little about it.

Civil War Sharpshooters

Sniping, or sharpshooting, was a recognized psychological weapon at the outset of the Civil War. Champion marksman Hiram C. Berdan of New York, authorized to raise a regiment of sharpshooters for Federal service, began recruiting competitions in the summer of 1861. Qualified recruits had to place 10 shots in a 10-inch circle at 200 yards, firing any rifle they chose from any position they preferred. In this way Berdan organized companies in New York City, Albany, New York, and in the states of New Hampshire, Vermont, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Mustered in as the 1st Regiment Sharpshooter/U.S. Volunteers, November 25, 1861, the unit saw service in every Eastern campaign through autumn 1864. The 2nd Regiment Sharpshooters/U.S. Volunteers was raised similarly, its companies mustered in individually in autumn 1861, and its men were drawn from New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota, and Vermont. It too served in the Eastern Theater and in December, 1864 its veteran volunteers were briefly consolidated with reenlisted veterans of the 1st Regiment.
       While the history of Berdan's Sharpshooters is well documented, many other Union marksmen also saw action in the Eastern and Western campaigns, and though no records have been preserved, a Confederate sharpshooter unit similar to Berdan's was authorized by act of Confederate Congress in 1862.
       But the formal muster of entire sharpshooting regiments i the north and south was found to be unwieldy. In correspondence with Rhode Island Gov. William Sprague September 19, 1862, Union Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton expressed the view of the general staff that snipers were best organized in units no larger than companies and attached to regular regiments for special deployment at a field general's order in a specific action. An approximation of this system was adopted in both Union and Confederate armies.
       Armed with Sharp's rifles, Whitworth rifles, sporting arms, and custom-made, privately owned target weapons (some weighing over 30 lbs) Northern and Southern marksmen performed efficient service at Yorktown, Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Spotsylvania, the Wilderness, and Petersburg, and were valued in any protracted battle or small combat. The unpleasant results of this service and the moral climate of the day make finding specific records of sharpshooting duty a rarity, but the efficiency of Confederate sharpshooters in the Devil's Den at Gettysburg and the demoralizing effects of the sniping deaths of such prominent soldiers as Union Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick demonstrate the sharpshooters worth.
Source: "Historical Times Encyclopedia of the Civil War" edited by Patricia Faust

Link Posted: 4/4/2001 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I would take back evidence for Senator McCarthy to use in his hearings.

Damn commies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top