Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2001 1:02:14 PM EDT
Just picked up a BM last night and side by side I say the edge goes to the BM.  It has better fit and finish.  I can't see the reason to prefer a Colt over a BM.  havn't shot it yet but I'll post a eview when I do.  Not trying to bash Colt but don't see all the hype.

Now give me a minute to get this Nomex suit on!  

Also the take down pins on my BL Colt are the same as the ones on my new BM.  Usually I see some big clunky lookin' screw type thing for a pivot pin on BL Colt's at least all the ones I have seen except mine.  Like I said I'm new to these rifles and have read all kinds of stuff on different pins and what not, was just curious.

Link Posted: 4/3/2001 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/[/url] for more about Colt labels, variations, etc....
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Being a novice myself I'm into the second week of Bushmaster ownership and I have yet to find a flaw in my new Dissipator! I've had it taken down to almost kit level, never removed the trigger group though.
TF
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Nomex on there Charlie!

[pyro]

Don't mess with my beloved Colt.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe someone could point out what the differences ACTUALLY are between Bushmaster & Colt. I have owned both and other than the finish and the front pivot pin, I see absolutely no difference.

Personally I think Colt has the better finish appearance. It appears to be a more substantial coating than my Bushmasters have.

What about the internals and their differences? How about the materials used to build the rifles?

Link Posted: 4/3/2001 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If it is now it wasnt always that way
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Although I have now become a fan of post-ban Bushmaster rifles, I would still wager that late 80's to mid 90's Colt AR-15s are the best AR-15s made.  Of all the ones I've owned, seen, fired, or inspected, the pre-ban Colt Sporters have the best finish, smoothest actions, excellent reliability, etc. of all the AR-15s I've encountered.

My post-ban Bushmaster is a great weapon, but my pre-ban Colt Sporter still has the edge in quality.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 92 Colt lower and a 94 BM lower.  If I were to pick again, I'd probably pick the Colt because I like the finish better.

They both fit all my uppers perfectly.

Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#9]
B U S H M A S T E R!!!!!!!!!!!COLT HAD THERE DAY, THEY DROPED THE BALL IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE. SOLD ALL MY COLTS FOR BM'S NOW COLTS ARE JUST A NAME THING
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
B U S H M A S T E R!!!!!!!!!!!COLT HAD THERE DAY, THEY DROPED THE BALL IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE. SOLD ALL MY COLTS FOR BM'S NOW COLTS ARE JUST A NAME THING
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#11]
WOW!! HOW THAT HAPPEN TWO TIMES-TWO TIMES
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#12]
[left]Both Colt and Bushmaster rifles use Hard Coat anoidizing in there lower's; this is what you want; when colt changed form nonspec pins and such bushmaster edges the colt out, also both uses SFL in there upper's which suppose to make a slick surface. if you decide you want
to add a DIAZ or a LL then bushmaster Wins.[/left]    
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#13]
[left]Both Colt and Bushmaster rifles use Hard Coat anoidizing in there lower's; this is what you want; when colt changed form nonspec pins and such bushmaster edges the colt out, also both uses SFL in there upper's which suppose to make a slick surface. if you decide you want
to add a DIAZ or a LL then bushmaster Wins.[/left]    
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Bushmaster is a better value for the short term investment, but the Colt sporter is a better made and retains its value for the long haul. Both Companies produce excellent products it just depends what you like. V 2
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got a new COLT.  I don't see this bad quality people are talking about coming from Colt.  Yes the front takedown pin is different.  But fit and finish on my rifle is awesome.  It has the milspec takedown pins which are .250 not .315  I have taken the rifle shooting twice now and after 300 rds downrange not a single malfuction.  Not one hiccup.  So much for the Jam-O-Matic I hear so much about.  I will buy another AR, it's just a matter of time.  Honestly when I bought it I said I will get just one but I really like this thing so now my wallet will shrink but my gun collection will grow.  May get a Bushmaster but I may stick with Colt.

What is DIAZ and LL that MG_ME says you can't use on a Colt?
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I have owned both Colt (pre-ban Sporter) and now a Bushmaster A3 fluted Dissipator.

My particular Colt was basically flawless and never caused me a single problem.  It did need a bit of trigger work once but that was warranty and was no big thing.

It was very reliable.

The Bushmaster is of equal quality and has more attention given to mil-spec which I like.  It is superbly made and at the very least on par with Colts late 80 to mid 90 ARs.

Colt is now owned by a bunch of friggin assholes who care nothing for the civilian shooter.

Bushmaster is the only way to go.

But......watch out cause something tells me Rock River is gonna make a quantum leap forward.

They Rock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top