Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2012 10:14:22 AM EDT
I seem to remember reanimated animals in the other movies.

Even a half dog was reanimated and was barking.

So why hive mind are there no animal zombies in the Walking Dead?

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
TWD doesnt do too much CGI... and reanimated critters would be hard to do without alot of CGI or hokieness
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
its a human disease?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#3]
The human zombies ate the animal zombies.

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Glenn ate them all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Max Brooks explained this before. RTFM.

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Because animal zombies don't make sense in general. I mean, if whatever is causing the "zombie effect" on humans also affected other species, then there would be whole hordes of zombie creatures running around. Just think of the zoo, lions and tigers and bears (Oh my). However, if it only affects human DNA then logically other animals would not turn into zombies.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#7]
What about chimps? Not close enough with DNA?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What about chimps? Not close enough with DNA?

Zombie Gorilla FTW!

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Glenn ate them all.

I'm right there with you.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
there was a dead cow last week.. looked to have been eaten by a zombie.. kinda left you thinking it might be a zombie..  

I guess we already had MAD COW disease... MOOOOOOOOO
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Why aren't there more zombie children?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The bug would need to mutate to jump species
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#13]
IIRC there was a cat that had died and reanimated that the twins had found in the comics.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Zombie Gorilla FTW!

That would be badass

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#15]
The Solanum virus requires a very specific type of host.  Note that it also kills the host -causing true, physical death- before the reanimation process.  Also note that it MUST be transmitted to a living host with an intact brain stem (other brain damage not always a problem) and that the virus MUST be the thing that kills the host - unless the virus is very, very close to completing the incubation period.  i.e. a victim who dies by asphyxiation will not reanimate as a zombie unless the virus has already spread to the brain stem - though just to be safe, you should always destroy the brain.

Simply put - animals do not offer the proper environment for successful infection, termination, and reanimation.

Moreover, there's no evidence that any animal species can be a carrier of the virus.  Just as a dog bite cannot give you malaria, no animal interaction can transmit the Solanum virus.

Seriously, you should know that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Because it is Fiction, they will do whatever the fuck they want.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
same reason you cant give your dog the flu
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
so in this alternate zombie outbreak where animals could get infected...

are we talking zombie ants and zombie moths and zombie house flies?

Zombie fleas?  Zombie mites that live on your skin by the hundreds of thousands?

zombie mice?

It just doesn't work.

heck, while we are at it, why not zombie plants?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Why aren't there more zombie children?

There has to be enough left to reanimate, kids and spinners will be all but gone, fat zombies will rule the wasteland.

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
so in this alternate zombie outbreak where animals could get infected...

are we talking zombie ants and zombie moths and zombie house flies?

Zombie fleas?  Zombie mites that live on your skin by the hundreds of thousands?

zombie mice?

It just doesn't work.

heck, while we are at it, why not zombie plants?

Some "zombie" training materials accept that animals can be "zombified."  Obvious examples are the Resident Evil universe (dogs, birds, fish, sharks, spiders, bees, etc.) or I Am Legend (rats, at least as test subjects).  However, it's important to note that those examples all use bio-engineered viruses, NOT the Solanum strain.  Many of the RE viruses, for example, do not create true "zombies," in that many of the bio weapons are controllable (at least to some degree), occasionally exhibit free will, and are not infectious - the virus must be delivered directly, as processed, through inhalation, injection, consumption, etc.  Even a direct bite from a RE "zombie" cannot cause infection - you need the source virus in its weaponized form.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#21]
OK smarties.

What if a lion lets say gets out of the zoo and starts to eat some of the roaming zombies.

Does the lion become a zombie?

And to flip the question, what if a cow was infected and you ate it.

Do you become a zombie or will cooking kill the virus particles?

And if the viruses are blood borne why dont they become zombies when zombie juice gets into their cuts and injuries?

The last Walking Dead episode, Rick and Shane had enough injuries to allow mass infections.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#22]
The thing I don't understand about the Walking Dead universe is the scientist at the CDC in Atlanta told them EVERYONE
on the planet is infected with the virus and everyone will turn into a walker once they die. How come everyone didn't drop dead
if it was an air-borne transmitted virus from the get go? Why does it kill you if a zombie bites you, but you already were infected
anyway?

I can understand it not affecting animals, as viruses are DNA specific, unlike bacteria and microbes.

-ZA
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

TWD isn't stupid-ass Resident Evil.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't understand why people just can't enjoy a show and not look for logical explanations on everything. I mean it's a show about the walking dead for crying out loud.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:06:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Because it is Fiction, they will do whatever the fuck they want.

This, plus with animals they would have shitty special effects and ruin the show.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
same reason you cant give your dog the flu herpies, beleive me I tried.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

RE is not "stupid-ass."  It's fucking bio-weapons, NOT the Solanum virus.  They're not technically "zombies."

Seriously, get a brain moran.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The games RE1-3 were badass....the movies are
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#29]
It's a fantasy movie, it's not supposed to make sense.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Don't understand why people just can't enjoy a show and not look for logical explanations on everything. I mean it's a show about the walking dead for crying out loud.

No, it's a show about baby daddies. (I guess that's daddy singular now)
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's a fantasy movie, it's not supposed to make sense.

Exactly. If movies and shows were like real life then people would be bitching because they were boring.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I and my family all Love the WD.
Unfortunately Zombie stories are like a game of Monopoly.
They start off great, have a good middle but then have no clear path to an ending.
Either they all die or eventually they start a new society.

Zombie animals sound like something for season 4 if it lasts that long.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The thing I don't understand about the Walking Dead universe is the scientist at the CDC in Atlanta told them EVERYONE
on the planet is infected with the virus and everyone will turn into a walker once they die. How come everyone didn't drop dead
if it was an air-borne transmitted virus from the get go? Why does it kill you if a zombie bites you, but you already were infected
anyway?

I can understand it not affecting animals, as viruses are DNA specific, unlike bacteria and microbes.

-ZA

your immune system fights off the un established virus while you are alive, when you die, the virus is free to take over.
when you are alive and get bit by a husk over run with the virus it floods into your body and the active virus
overwhelms your immune system
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top