Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/8/2012 2:20:00 PM EDT
The empty house next door to me appears to have been turned in to a section 8,  It's not "rented" yet, but people have been looking.  Is their anything I can do within the law to stop it from being section 8?
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  Get all the neighbors together and buy it.  

I knew a guy who did this in a new subdivision. Pissed off a lot of people and lowered their property values.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
There is virutally nothing you can do. Once the people move in they have more rights than the actual owner. You neighbors are screwed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure it can be legally rented and the "LLD" isn't trying to fly under the city radar as far as rental housing. Taxes are completely different [read higher] if income property. Also, some areas will require inspections before they can be rented legally.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
good luck my man, section 8 will suck the life out of a good area. once it starts, it's lights out
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The village of Downer's Grove, Ill stopped the movement of people from the projects of Chicago to the village by tearing down the houses that were designated section 8 by the state before they moved in.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Edited...VA-gunnut

oops
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
That would piss me off.

Good luck bud.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing you can do outsicer of buying the house or moving.... . In my town, 3 or 4 luxury apt complexes went section 8 and turned  upscale neihborhoods into a ghetto.   The city has refused to even let a developer build an apt. complex becuauseof the fear of more section 8 housing.

Section 8 housing is like terminal cancer....
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]

whatever you decide to do, don't sit around until it's too late

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Is it possible to know for certain if a house is or is pending Section 8?

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear it. I feel for you.

The last time I put my old house up for rent before I sold it the Section 8 ers aggervated the shit out of me.

One crippled black guy threatened to sic the NAACP on me because I would not do Section 8. I told him to wheel his convict ass off my property. Fucking convict scum. He did not remember me but I remembered him from the crippled/geriatric cell-house at a prison I worked at.

I refused to rent to those who could not pay their own way.

Sadly my old neighborhood is pretty much all Section 8 now......And looks it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Oops.......No more attempted comedy in Section 8.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Call the landlord.

Some landlords think sec 8 is great because of guaranteed payments. They have no idea what may become of their property.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Move quickly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut

This!

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I've heard of section 8 housing absolutely destroying neighborhoods near where I grew up.  Neighborhoods went from being family friendly middle class neighborhoods -to- extentions of the ghetto once section 8 got in.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is it possible to know for certain if a house is or is pending Section 8?

I don't know, but every person who has looked at it so far has appeared to be from the ghetto, and drove up in beater cars (One actually had the rear window held in with blue masking tape), and had no problems just letting themselves in when they realized "property management" forgot to lock the door (He let the first guy in, but the rest went in on their own, so it looks like he forgot to lock up) so it's a fair assumption that it's section 8.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nothing you can do outsicer of buying the house or moving.... . In my town, 3 or 4 luxury apt complexes went section 8 and turned  upscale neihborhoods into a ghetto.   The city has refused to even let a developer build an apt. complex becuauseof the fear of more section 8 housing.

Section 8 housing is like terminal cancer....

This. Happened were I used to live. My wake up call wasnt the teen thugs or even middle school thug wannabes. It was my house being broken into several time by my neighbors. One of which alost got shot for harrassing my wife.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, try this?

"rent" it out for ZERO dollars/month.

Because someone is squatting there, they will still need to be evicted, no?

At least you can control who/what moves in.

Oh, and they should fix the place up while they are there

What do you think?
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Talk to landlord and cops.  Tell the land lord that you will be calling the cops every time the renters break the law.  I wonder if you can sue the landlord for decreasing your property value?
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
good luck my man, section 8 will suck the life out of a good area. once it starts, it's lights out

It's a terminal cancer.

If they start one near me I will sell and move.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Run! far far away
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The empty house next door to me appears to have been turned in to a section 8,  It's not "rented" yet, but people have been looking.  Is their anything I can do within the law to stop it from being section 8?

nope, unless there is something in ur HOA (if u have one) bylaws. Like in ours no house can be a rental.

J-
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't know man.

You might talk to your town's planner and see if the area is zoned for rental property.  If not, it might slow them down.

good luck
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#25]
isn't it up to the homeowner to rent it to a section 8 tenant if they want?  I've never heard of the state 'designating' a house as section 8.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Give a free bbq for the cops every day.

That should scare the poop out of potential tenants.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Give a free bbq for the cops every day.

That should scare the poop out of potential tenants.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

or, apparently, just get a snake
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#28]
<Removed. 4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities. -NorCal>

Damn, I wasn't serious.

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
<Removed.>

Eh, all of these highly effective means are getting locked.  Probably along with user accounts.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for means that won't get him tossed in the cooler.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#30]
After katrina destroyed new orleans they bussed a shit ton of that trash to this area, built them brand new buildings and within a year the building were destroyed.

It got so bad that after 5yrs the build new appt complexes for them and moved them in there and demod the old ones. Now the new ones are starting to get destroyed and they have begun building new appt complexes to move them again.

Section 8 trash is a plague that cant be stopped
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Find yourself a Crown Vic Interceptor.  Paint it all black.  Put a bumper bar on it. Mount a bunch of little antennaes on it.

Park it in the driveway across the street from the house.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#32]

I don't know much about section 8 properties, but I do know that these homes must pass a section 8 inspection before it will be approved for section 8 tenants to move in.

I would look into what these requirements are and then finding out if the property doesn't have some type of deficiency that would disqualify it.  If you were to call in and report that deficiency to the section 8 office, it might slow down the process.

Personally, I'd throw a skunk in my home before I'd let a section 8 renter move in.

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Ruined my hometown, which I bailed out of years ago. It was actively promoted there by local and state officials. Once one or two are converted in a neighborhood, decent folks don't want to live there and the landlords are forced to go that direction or have their building sit empty. I believe a person building an apartment building there now, has to reserve a percentage of units for this trash, regardless the area it is in.

I lived it. A beautifully restored old building. I think we were the only people paying rent for blocks around. Hell, I think we were the only ones who went to work in the morning. We were burglarized just before we moved out.  

It will destroy a town in a short period of time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Buy it!

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Find yourself a Crown Vic Interceptor.  Paint it all black.  Put a bumper bar on it. Mount a bunch of little antennaes on it.

WIN!

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#36]
You are about to surrounded with white trash.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Racist.  Consider yourself reported.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Run for office, pass an ordinance to ban Section 8 housing.

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The village of Downer's Grove, Ill stopped the movement of people from the projects of Chicago to the village by tearing down the houses that were designated section 8 by the state before they moved in.

Really?? I heard another village here passed some kind of ordinace stating that if renters had to many problems with the PD. The village could evict them. Not sure if true. Here in Schaumburg we began to have problems PD was all over it and many section 8 residents just can't take the heat and move
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm about to turn a house I have had for sale for about a year into section 8 housing. Damn neighbors got caught telling potential buyers that the house is a POS and has a giant sinkhole in the backyard. None of it is true, so I'm going to tell them to get fucked by making it section 8.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Never thought I'd see DG in GD. A few towns to our south took up the slack in a big way and the results are exactly what you'd think they would be.

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I dealt with section 8 neighbors, eventually moved.

They would be on our property all the time, one time I came out and some little bitch was sitting down behind my car leaning against it chatting on the phone,

when I told her to move she told me to fuck off

Cars getting hit with footballs, drug deals, thugs coming around all hours, etc.

I couldn't take it, we just moved to a nicer neighborhood. It's slowly turning to shit, saw a drug deal go down outside yesterday.

Moving back to the country 5/1/12 when our lease is up, fuck living in the city
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Move to a better neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WIN!

One of my rentals is right next door to the home of a Sheriff's Deputy.  Whenever my "For Rent" sign goes up, he starts parking his squad car in his driveway.

I love it.  It's a self-cleaning oven.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Move to a better neighborhood.

The neighborhood doesn't have anything to do with it.  It's about the owner deciding to make his home available to the mouth breathing jackals so that he can get a guaranteed rent check from Uncle Sugar.

I've had section 8ers contact me to see if I would accept section 8 and my rentals are nice.

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
isn't it up to the homeowner to rent it to a section 8 tenant if they want?  I've never heard of the state 'designating' a house as section 8.

As far as I know, the last time I owned a rental property, there are section 8 renters. They can live practically anywhere, but they seem to congregate.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as I know, the last time I owned a rental property, there are section 8 renters. They can live practically anywhere, but they seem to congregate.

but I don't believe the house itself becomes 'a section 8'
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reasons for this is that the owner of a rental may own more than one in an area.

The other reason is that when landlord #2 sees landlord #1 getting a government check every month he wants to jump on the bandwagon.

Ain't nuttin' like a gubmint check.

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Run for office, pass an ordinance to ban Section 8 housing.

Is this sarcasm or is it a genuinely viable option? I live in a small town and my neighborhood has avoided this issues. As it is, I really don't know of any problem areas and am interested in keeping it that way.

If such an ordinance could be passed, without inviting Eric Holder and friends, I'd like to know.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top