Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2012 12:49:02 PM EDT
I've been looking for a good old-style mercury filled oral thermometer, but all I'm finding is Mercury Free or cheesy imports with reviews that mention them blowing up under hot tap water.

Any ideas where I can find a good one?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
China

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't think so.  I never see them in the stores now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't it odd how mercury became toxic after milleniums , what a fucked up society we habitate
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats the appeal?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whats the appeal?

None for me, digital is a lot faster.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Whats the appeal?

No battery, no calibration.  100+ years of safe use.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
what it the difference between an oral and anal thermometer?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Isn't it odd how mercury became toxic after milleniums , what a fucked up society we habitate

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Whats the appeal?

I think they're more accurate too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Bulb dimensions and calibration.  Plus taste

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

IM TRG. All will be made clear.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Alcohol might be ok, but of the three or four digital type we have around the house, they all vary wildly even if used one after the other.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats the appeal?

I think they're more accurate too.

Yes.  Electronic require a reference voltage, this may or may not remain constant as the unit ages or the battery discharges.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#14]
i remember playing with mercury when i was a kid  - it was so cool, like liquid metal

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's a matter of the taste!
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's not like people in the Middle Ages didn't use it to cure all sorts of diseases, like syphilis.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it's not like people in the Middle Ages didn't use it to cure all sorts of diseases, like syphilis.

Many mercury compounds are effective antiseptics.  Merthiolate,  Mercurochrome...

The current mecurophobia is borne out of the EPA's goal of eliminating coal fired power plants.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#18]
My girl has three digitals here, and they all ready different temps - both between themselves and from attempt to attempt on the same one.

Colored alcohol could work, but I've never seen a mercury based thermometer get bubbles in the tube. If I have to, I'll go with Alcohol, but it is my second choice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#19]
You ought to see the mercury spill clean up kits we have at the hospital.  If one of the old school blood pressure cuffs breaks, the liquid mercury is treated as if it's fucking uranium-laced anthrax.  

And yet, years ago kids would do this for fun:

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You ought to see the mercury spill clean up kits we have at the hospital.  If one of the old school blood pressure cuffs breaks, the liquid mercury is treated as if it's fucking uranium-laced anthrax.  

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/uploads/2009/05/mercury.jpg

Hospitals and clinics are paying BIG bucks to dispose of them.  Yet the mercury contained is worth about  $100.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hospitals and clinics are paying BIG bucks to dispose of them.  Yet the mercury contained is worth about  $100.

<––- Knows where at least 5 grand worth of unwanted mercury is if a sphygmomanometer has $100 worth of mercury in it.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

the taste
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mercury is evil just like Dihydrogen Monoxide, carbon dioxide, and oxygen we must ban them for the children!
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do you sell mercury? Recycler? I have about 15 pounds of it.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully in iron flasks.  Anything over one pound in any shipment is considered hazmat.  

Only certain recyclers take it because it is easy to contaminate with other metals.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]
This one will work

It's labeled that way due to regs...
It looks like a mercury one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully in iron flasks.  Anything over one pound in any shipment is considered hazmat.  

Only certain recyclers take it because it is easy to contaminate with other metals.

It's still in sealed Fisher Scientific bottles. I'm seeing that they go for like $400 something a pound new. Wow.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

One needs salt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's still in sealed Fisher Scientific bottles. I'm seeing that they go for like $400 something a pound new. Wow.

Bottles are especially hazardous.  Needs overpack which is mercury tight.  Remember, over a pound is hazmat so they cannot go by common carrier.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bottles are especially hazardous.  Needs overpack which is mercury tight.  Remember, over a pound is hazmat so they cannot go by common carrier.

I'll see if I can find someone within driving distance. I'm not shipping this shit anyplace. As it is, it's in garbage bags, in ammo cans, outside in a cool, ventilated building. We got paid by a guy to clean out his old man's workshop after he died, and I guess he used to do some kind of metalwork. We found this, the guy said to get rid of it, so I just took it since I wasn't going to pay the hazmat dump to dispose of the shit.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I have seen them in antique and junk shops occasionally.

Probably not the best option but you never know.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'll see if I can find someone within driving distance. I'm not shipping this shit anyplace. As it is, it's in garbage bags, in ammo cans, outside in a cool, ventilated building. We got paid by a guy to clean out his old man's workshop after he died, and I guess he used to do some kind of metalwork. We found this, the guy said to get rid of it, so I just took it since I wasn't going to pay the hazmat dump to dispose of the shit.

You could transfer to smaller bottles, double pack them and sell to gold miners.  Although there aren't any gold mines in Florida.  Placer miners frequently use elemental mercury to amalgamate gold fines.  Some miners just boil the mercury off, better miners use a mercury still to purify the gold.

Shipping is going to be the killer.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Good stuff for leaded barrels too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Alcohol ones work just fine.  Digital is better.

Mercury is no longer needed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The taste....

Damn, beaten about 3.50 times.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could transfer to smaller bottles, double pack them and sell to gold miners.  Although there aren't any gold mines in Florida.  Placer miners frequently use elemental mercury to amalgamate gold fines.  Some miners just boil the mercury off, better miners use a mercury still to purify the gold.

Shipping is going to be the killer.

Yeah. If I can't find a recycler, I'll eventually just take it to the hazmat dump. I'll have to get rid of it sooner or later, but if I can make money as opposed to spending it, I'd like to. (It's not that much to get rid of it, but we got paid $150 to fill a roll off that day, and we weren't interested in paying out of our $75 each, nor in pitching it in the roll off.)

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Isn't it the vapors that are hazardous? An old guy told me that if you had a really dirty barrel, you could plug one end and fill it up with mercury, after a day or two, it would look brand new. I guess it creates an amalgam with the lead?

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a laboratory type mercury filled thermometer, pretty cool, except it's in Centigrade and not Farenheit
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Isn't it the vapors that are hazardous? An old guy told me that if you had a really dirty barrel, you could plug one end and fill it up with mercury, after a day or two, it would look brand new. I guess it creates an amalgam with the lead?

Not really.  Yes, the vapors can accumulate but in parts per million range at the most.  Despite what the mercurophobes say, the human body has a pretty efficient mechanisms to excrete mercury in small doses associated with elemental mercury vapors.  

There are far better ways to clean a firearm barrel.  Mercury can work but it is slow.  You have to brush the barrel clean, then it works best on lead.  Yes, it dissolves the lead and copper.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Cities have been pulling them for a few years now.  I might have an old one

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats the appeal?

None for me, digital is a lot faster.

We've gone digital, much easier and faster

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I have a laboratory type mercury filled thermometer, pretty cool, except it's in Centigrade and not Farenheit

I've got quite a few in Fahrenheit.  If you want to trade

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

taste

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Electronic require a reference voltage, this may or may not remain constant as the unit ages or the battery discharges.

if only there was some basic semiconductor characteristic that could be employed to make a reference voltage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandgap_voltage_reference

if only there was a way to make a reference voltage completely independent of input voltage and temperature, with relatively low phase noise and good dynamic response.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokaw_bandgap_reference

if only there was a way to exploit bandgap physics in silion transistors, the result of which is a thermometer that only requires comparing two currents.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_bandgap_temperature_sensor

see also
http://www.national.com/rap/Application/0,1570,24,00.html
and
http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-460.pdf

Bob Pease was an analog design legend; he did more to advance the art and propagate the knowledge than perhaps anyone, even Jim Williams (sad).  if you come across texts from either of these authors, snap them up –– they are full of useful info well outside the usual domain of analog electronics.

see also the LM34 datasheet,
http://www.ti.com/general/docs/lit/getliterature.tsp?genericPartNumber=lm34&fileType=pdf

and since a oral or rectal thermometer requires a display and a bit of logic, you can wrap all this functionality into one or two die, such as this overkill (note bandgap reference, and 13 bit (0.0625°C) temperature resolution, and accuracy: ±0.5°C from −40°C to +105°C.   there is never any calibration needed; the bandgap voltage and derived current is a function of physics, not calibration.
http://www.analog.com/en/mems-sensors/digital-temperature-sensors/adt7410/products/product.html

summary:
these types of devices incorporating bandgap references are immune to power supply input variation, for example as the batteries age.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.  Yes, the vapors can accumulate but in parts per million range at the most.  Despite what the mercurophobes say, the human body has a pretty efficient mechanisms to excrete mercury in small doses associated with elemental mercury vapors.  

There are far better ways to clean a firearm barrel.  Mercury can work but it is slow.  You have to brush the barrel clean, then it works best on lead.  Yes, it dissolves the lead and copper.

So, unless you are using it to make felt, or mining for it, there is little to no risk? I have some in a jar that I pull out to amuse the kids occasionally, glad to hear that I won't be going crazy, lol.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, unless you are using it to make felt, or mining for it, there is little to no risk? I have some in a jar that I pull out to amuse the kids occasionally, glad to hear that I won't be going crazy, lol.

Use of mercury in felt is long been stopped.  And that was the nitrate of mercury which readily dissolves in water.  Elemental mercury is virtually harmless.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top