Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/27/2012 10:39:16 PM EDT
What would happen?  Is it a survivable catastrophy or instantanious death for most americans?  In my mind this would create the ultimate SHTF scenario for anyone not instantly killed.  Not only here in America but worldwide.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The ash typically reaches from MT to the Mississippi and down to TX.  Areas to the West are left untouched due to prevailing winds.  The temperature of the earth might drop a couple degrees for a few years.

So, food would become expensive and America would be in a world of hurt.  It wouldn't be a mass extinction event though, unless the rest of the world decides to take advantage of us in our moment of weakness.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I will not get to live out my SHTF dreams.

Lives outside of yellowstone
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Basically, we'd all be fucked. If not from the eruption or its aftereffects, then from having California become the new US capitol.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Basically, we'd all be fucked. If not from the eruption or its aftereffects, then from having California become the new US capitol.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I would create my own fiefdom in the ash fields of Iowa and would lead raiding parties along the Mississippi.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will not get to live out my SHTF dreams.

Lives outside of yellowstone

FAIL
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#7]
maybe the New Madrid fault would go at the same time
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I would miss the geyser  "Old Faithful."

Seriously, if it happens, it happens; there is nothing humans can do to prevent it. Look what happen to Mt. St. Helens.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
It's raiing concrete
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
maybe the New Madrid fault would go at the same time

Cool! Then we could backflush the ash up to Canada!!!

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pot meet kettle.

Cali would be weak without mama bear federal government so we could kick out the hippies and return it to it's old glory...
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll die in the pyroclastic cloud.  After that, it won't matter much what happens.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pot meet kettle.

Cali would be weak without mama bear federal government so we could kick out the hippies and return it to it's old glory...

Been there, done that. Not a student of history, eh.

Oh, and lighten up, Frances.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd be dead thats for sure
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I hadn't thought of that.

And it blows as an option.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pot meet kettle.

Been there, done that. Not a student of history, eh.

Oh, and lighten up, Frances.

Actually majored in history. Sorry, forgot to add the at the end of my last comment.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What would happen?  Is it a survivable catastrophy or instantanious death for most americans?  In my mind this would create the ultimate SHTF scenario for anyone not instantly killed.  Not only here in America but worldwide.

I've noticed that people who are unfamiliar with human physiology actually think that the items in red are common and particularly plausible.

Silicosis is not particularly instant, and that would probably be the predominant killer. So, no, not instantaneous death for most Americans, the vast majority of people killed won't be instantly killed, and as a matter of fact a very large number of people killed by such an event will probably be casualties of their own ignorance or misjudgement. Outside of areas subject to pyroclastic flow and similar hazards, building collapse and silicosis are going to be among the chief killers, along with lahars (mud flows) and asphyxiation by ash or mud.

Much like nuclear war, people like to assume that it will be a world-ending catastrophe that is impossible to survive. The fact of the matter is many would survive, and some sad souls would die due to a combination of stupidity and lack of preparation.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
From my estimation and research anyone with in 300 miles on the west, south or north is pretty much screwed, everyone east is going to be screwed for the most part. Anyone within a hundred miles will probably be incinerated. The earths temp is going to drop bringing on nuclear winter of sorts, as long as you are southwest you will probably be okay. Anyone in the air or in car is probably going to die. Most of the houses to the east are going to be crushed by the 8-20ft of ash sitting on them. So most of the world population would survive,
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, it's like terminal ballistics.

Sounds like you can just fire a gun in the general direction of someone and they'll instantly die.  Doesn't really work that way.  And their long term odds even in the worst cases can be vastly improved with rapid medical attention.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What would happen?

The libtards will find a way to blame big oil and bush
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#21]
The issue with Yellowstone is how long a multi-vent eruption takes place....
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll die in the pyroclastic cloud.  After that, it won't matter much what happens.

Id be fucked as well... Oh well.. We can only hope that bastard doesn't blow anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:10:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd be running to canada
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Do you think they'd cancel the Super Bowl?
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you think they'd cancel the Super Bowl?
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:42:47 AM EDT
[#27]
If Yellowstone has an eruption with close to it's historical magnitude, we're fucked.  Either quickly, or slowly starving.  West of the Mississippi and all the way to SoCal, there will be ash covering everything.

How long were European flights grounded by the Iceland volcano?  Relief flights into the U.S. would face the same thing.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Mohawks, assless chaps, crossbows, and sharpened boomerangs...oh and N95s for all the damned ash.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 1:52:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is there some reason you think that one eruption is going to wipe out the US, not to mention the world?
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 2:00:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 2:00:42 AM EDT
[#31]
If you have 2h to spare, there is a BCC docu-drama:

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 2:06:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Good thing my wife speaks Spanish. Mexico is only 5 ours to the South.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 2:45:54 AM EDT
[#33]
It would be like.....

Oh yeah....Virginia wins again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 3:46:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The ash typically reaches from MT to the Mississippi and down to TX.  Areas to the West are left untouched due to prevailing winds.  The temperature of the earth might drop a couple degrees for a few years.

So, food would become expensive and America would be in a world of hurt.  It wouldn't be a mass extinction event though, unless the rest of the world decides to take advantage of us in our moment of weakness.  

I may be mistaken but all of the ash deposits from previous caldera eruptions of Yellowstone covered an area to the west, south west, south and slightly south east.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 3:49:36 AM EDT
[#35]
For once, all you free state f––kers are gonna wish you live here in NY!
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No!

I for one will welcome our new volcano overlord
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 4:24:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If Yellowstone has an eruption with close to it's historical magnitude, we're fucked. Either quickly, or slowly starving. West of the Mississippi and all the way to SoCal, there will be ash covering everything.

How long were European flights grounded by the Iceland volcano? Relief flights into the U.S. would face the same thing.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/Yellowstonevolcanoashbeds.jpg

I'm right on the edge of the fooked zone.  I would probably be dead, though.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 4:40:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Placeholder for when it erupts.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 4:42:41 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll order a pizza, to be delivered.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If Yellowstone has an eruption with close to it's historical magnitude, we're fucked. Either quickly, or slowly starving. West of the Mississippi and all the way to SoCal, there will be ash covering everything.

How long were European flights grounded by the Iceland volcano? Relief flights into the U.S. would face the same thing.

Good thing that the US doesn't produce 45% of the world's corn, 50% of it's total soy beans, or 20% of global wheat production....oh, wait a minute.  I'm not sure we'd be seeing a huge queue of relief flights waiting for clear weather in the US to land....foreign nations might have to worry about feeding their own, first.  Global crop yields are going to be impacted for several years by an erruption of this magnitude.  It might be something like one big global North Korea for a year or two.  But, I've read North Korea is Best Korea, so maybe it won't be so bad, right?
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 4:56:13 AM EDT
[#41]
We'd be in a world of hurt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#42]
I'll be safe in my cave and constantly bedding my mole women odalisques.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:01:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If Yellowstone has an eruption with close to it's historical magnitude, we're fucked.  Either quickly, or slowly starving.  West of the Mississippi and all the way to SoCal, there will be ash covering everything.

How long were European flights grounded by the Iceland volcano?  Relief flights into the U.S. would face the same thing.

"Relief flights into the U.S. would face the same thing"..half the world be dancing in glee, the other half will be trying to figure out how to either save there own asses or take advantage.

We would be on our own..............with Big Government fucking the survivors along the way!!

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Killed by a volcano or move back to NY..........

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#45]
New Hampshire could use some good armed conservative folks..................
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:03:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Shit would be, like, all fucked up and shit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#47]
The worst thing about it would be that most of the non-liberal parts of the US would be wiped out.  The US heartland, the bread basket,

the plains and prairies.    Where people might not always have a high level college education but they sure learned some common sense

and useful things like "Meat does not originate from the local grocery store.    And you have to work at something to eat anything."

That sensible bunch would be greatly missed.   Fortunately, most of them would heed the impending eruption warnings and head for safer

territory.  

The best thing about it would be that the liberal southern half of CA would probably be wiped out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:16:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would happen?

The libtards will find a way to blame big oil and bush

Fracking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#49]
E.L.E. (Extinction Level Event)
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Discovery Channel had an episode on it a while back, here's the webpage to the show http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/supervolcano/under/under.html

Here's what they say would happend if it erupted

There is no argument that a major eruption at Yellowstone in modern
times would be devastating. It would obliterate the national park and
nearby communities, spread ground-glass-like volcanic ash from the
Pacific coast to the Midwest, and cause worldwide weather changes from
the airborne dust and gases, according to Smith, who described the
potential effects in detail in his book Windows Into the Earth, published in 2000.

A modern full-force Yellowstone eruption could kill millions,
directly and indirectly, and would make every volcano in recorded human
history look minor by comparison.

Sleep well tonight

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top