Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 4:46:30 PM EDT
Things jst aren't working out for me right now. My five year old just spent two months in the ICU, he is going to be okay but my finances won't. We are going to move back to North Dakota near family and jobs in the energy field. Over the last year or so I have been running my own hot shot business with a one ton and a 45 foot flat bed. I have a CDL with all endorsements save hazmat which I will start on right away. I have applied and talked to the majority of the outfits and the all want 24 months experience. However I know people driving right now who had no experience but got on because they knew someone. I have read through and posted in the oil boom thread with no luck. So I am here hat in hand looking for a break through the arfcom brotherhood. I have a clean driving record, no arrest record, have housing ready, and can leave for training or job with a 24 hour notice.

UPDATE #1

I have so many applications in right now that it is hard to keep track. Thanks for all of the IM's, I really appreciate it. I have about 7 in with Halliburton right now and just got done with a phone interview. I was offered a job as an entry level trainee in cement in Kansas and I am not really sure what to do. The job pays a lot less than the North Dakota jobs, $14 an hour compared to around $20. The job is 6 hours from door and is 6 on 3 off with about 70-100 weeks. Thanks to frosty451, I know have a team membership and have been working the job board on arfcom. There is a member here doing some recruiting for Halliburton on the board and said he will have the recruiter there pull my app. Now, that doesn't mean anything as the recruiter might look at it and throw it in the trash because it sucks. However, it also might get me an interview where I can make my case. Accorfing to the recruiter for the Kansas job there are about 1700 apps for every position open in North Dakota and I stand a better chance of getting there by doing a comany transfer after 6 months She said it usually takes about a year to get it done though. So should I run with the bird in hand and take the job in kansas and try to get a transfer to ND or put the brakes on it and continue the hunt in North Dakota? To make it more interesting, my lease is up in about 4 months on my house and it would be a huge pain to find something that is month to month in this area while I wait for a transfer to work out.

Update #2
Got the job offer by email. Job is listed at $13.25 an hour and I have until 01/23/12 to let them know....

Thanks arfcom, and flame suit is on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I  build trucks for Champion Technologies, they have a few up there and are a decent company to work for.

Have you tried them??
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear about your kid.   I can't help but want to wish you good luck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Google: Chad Monson Excavating

He has crews working in ND
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
No experience there to offer an opinion on, but wanted to wish you good luck and hope everything works out for your kid.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Things jst aren't working out for me right now. My five year old just spent two months in the ICU, he is going to be okay but my finances won't. We are going to move back to North Dakota near family and jobs in the energy field. Over the last year or so I have been running my own hot shot business with a one ton and a 45 foot flat bed. I have a CDL with all endorsements save hazmat which I will start on right away. I have applied and talked to the majority of the outfits and the all want 24 months experience. However I know people driving right now who had no experience but got on because they knew someone. I have read through and posted in the oil boom thread with no luck. So I am here hat in hand looking for a break through the arfcom brotherhood. I have a clean driving record, no arrest record, have housing ready, and can leave for training or job with a 24 hour notice.

If you are going to drive it will be hot shoting tools from where ever the hub is for the area (in the last boom this was Rock Springs and Casper Wyo) as thats where the tools come from and go back to, or rig up work, approach the contractors doing the rig up in the immediate area. When you deal with companies these days they all have Human Resource departments and you deal with a Personnel Director
he will look for people with 28 years floor exp and require at leat 4 masters degrees, go around them. The Tool Pushers, Drillers and Floor Hands are the people you want to buddy up with they will take care of the rest. They don't care if you have a Degree or speak 6 foreign languages they need people who can handle a set of tongs, elevators and show up for work. There is a very high turn over in Drilling Crews (floorhands) and service contractors (mostly roustabouts) all you need are a few buddies and to be standing in the right place at the right time.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
10:4 on the being in the right place at the right time. My biggest issue is the no experience thing and needing medical insurance is a must.  I would like to haul either crude or production water in the Tioga/Stanley area. Willing to work any and all hours and am not trying to just earn a quick buck and get out. So tired of hearing the "insurance regs won't let us hire without 24 months of experience" line.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No experience there to offer an opinion on, but wanted to wish you good luck and hope everything works out for your kid.

Thanks Brother

I turn 35 on Sunday and am committed to doing this...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No.

+1

Hope that helps.
FYI: There is a jobs forum here, part of the perks of membership.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

10:4 on the being in the right place at the right time. My biggest issue is the no experience thing and needing medical insurance is a must.  I would like to haul either crude or production water in the Tioga/Stanley area. Willing to work any and all hours and am not trying to just earn a quick buck and get out. So tired of hearing the "insurance regs won't let us hire without 24 months of experience" line.

I find it hard to believe you couldn't land a job within a day of landing there.

I mean, you're going to ND anyway right? Just wing it, it'll work out.

A LARGE part of the hiring process is the first impression. Go meet people and ask for a job.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I find it hard to believe you couldn't land a job within a day of landing there.

I mean, you're going to ND anyway right? Just wing it, it'll work out.

A LARGE part of the hiring process is the first impression. Go meet people and ask for a job.

I'm married, have 3 kids under 5, one of whom is sick and have limited funds.  The wife and kids will be staying behind for now as medical treatment is required. I love the wing and the prayer way of life but now is not the time for that.  I know I am putting myself out here and fully expect the haters in gd to pile it on, so bring it. I am just hoping to get a contact within the field so I can start chasing some inside leads.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I was in the same boat...
Prayer worked for me so Im sending one for you...
hope you dont mind
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was in the same boat...
Prayer worked for me so Im sending one for you...
hope you dont mind

The more the better man, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#14]
If you need to put your "hat in hand" for a job in North Dakota, you're doing it wrong.

I have no inside leads to offer, but frankly you shouldn't need them.

Start hammering out resumes, IN PERSON (seeing as how you're already there); and start with some of the smaller companies.

The smaller the company, the more likely they are to take you without some ridiculous experience requirement.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm married, have 3 kids under 5, one of whom is sick and have limited funds.  The wife and kids will be staying behind for now as medical treatment is required. I love the wing and the prayer way of life but now is not the time for that.  I know I am putting myself out here and fully expect the haters in gd to pile it on, so bring it. I am just hoping to get a contact within the field so I can start chasing some inside leads.

Or maybe it is?

Don't get me wrong, I wish ya all the luck in the world.

But sometimes you've got to get out there and make your own luck.

Go to ND, sit down at a truck stop diner, start talkin'.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Arfcom isn't my last stand by any means and is one of a dozen thngs I am doing to try and turn up a lead.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm from nd, Where do you have family and where do you want to live?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Family is in Kenmare, Bowbells, area and we will likely try to live in that region Trying to land a gig out of Stanley, Minot or Tioga.  Right now we live 19 hours from there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Dont know anyone there but will keep you in my prayers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks,bump for day crew...
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Start doing some digging and find email contacts for HR people of all these outfits. Compose a short, professional email that says you're willing to work any hours, any time, any where. Have some friends with good english skills proof read it so you sound professional.

When you get an interview make sure you have your shit together and are groomed with hair cut and dressed well (suit & tie is always best). Emphasize that even though you don't have much experience you are not the kind of doofus who drinks on the job (if ever) or does drugs ever and won't screw the company by driving irresponsibly or abandoning their rig when you get tired and fed up.

That is how I got my trucking job. I can't even count the times the company that hired me had irresponsible drivers abandon loads, run late 'cause they're gambling, drinking and whoring or just throw tantrums like a spoiled girl because they didn't get the load they wanted.

If you actually work your ass off and go the extra mile you'll find it's easier to get the good runs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:10:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Go online and put in applications with power fuels or diamond water truck hauling. Both of those companies are hiring here also. Have your family send you a minot daily news want adds, it loaded full of driver and hotshot jobs.
I am in Williston.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Family is in Kenmare, Bowbells, area and we will likely try to live in that region Trying to land a gig out of Stanley, Minot or Tioga.  Right now we live 19 hours from there.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#23]
If you were looking for a oil / gas driving job in Arkansas I could piont you in the right direction but I'm no help in ND .
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#24]
http://selectenergyweb.ipower.com/

They are in 48 states (pay no attention to the map on their website), and outside the U.S. as well.

No idea if they are looking for drivers in NoDak, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Sent you a PM OP
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Start doing some digging and find email contacts for HR people of all these outfits. Compose a short, professional email that says you're willing to work any hours, any time, any where. Have some friends with good english skills proof read it so you sound professional.

When you get an interview make sure you have your shit together and are groomed with hair cut and dressed well (suit & tie is always best). Emphasize that even though you don't have much experience you are not the kind of doofus who drinks on the job (if ever) or does drugs ever and won't screw the company by driving irresponsibly or abandoning their rig when you get tired and fed up.

That is how I got my trucking job. I can't even count the times the company that hired me had irresponsible drivers abandon loads, run late 'cause they're gambling, drinking and whoring or just throw tantrums like a spoiled girl because they didn't get the load they wanted.

If you actually work your ass off and go the extra mile you'll find it's easier to get the good runs.

Good info, how much experience did you have before applying. Is the insurance stuff bs and a way for them to cover their ass or is it legit?

I realize this whole deal is about the back channel. Who has influence with hr, good drivers, trucking supervisors, etc.?

• [/list=1]
    Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:47:49 PM EDT
    [#27]
    Thanks, will follow up on monday
    Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:12:52 PM EDT
    [#28]
    Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

+1

Hope that helps.

FUTURERANCHER,

Log out and log in again.

I  hope this helps in some small way.
    Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:20:34 PM EDT
    [#29]
    I know this isn't close to your home , but come to Pa.  we have a shortage of truckers, I've seen companies from Florida operating here.
    Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:54:43 PM EDT
    [#30]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

+1

Hope that helps.

FUTURERANCHER,

Log out and log in again.

I  hope this helps in some small way.

It will help and I am very grateful. I promise to pay it forward the fist chance I get once I land the job. Thank You.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:06:31 PM EDT
    [#31]
    Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:10:17 PM EDT
    [#32]
    I can offer no help, but prayers sent for your family and finances. I've been paying out on health bills on my son for two years. In just over another two years I'll be done. Hang in there. You'll be out of the woods before you know it.
    Link Posted: 1/17/2012 8:04:53 AM EDT
    [#33]
    Bump with update
    Link Posted: 1/17/2012 9:53:25 AM EDT
    [#34]
    Bump x 2
    Link Posted: 1/17/2012 12:34:07 PM EDT
    [#35]
    Third Bump is a charm right?
    Link Posted: 1/17/2012 3:29:02 PM EDT
    [#36]
    Last bump for the experienced night crew in hopes of some advice
    Link Posted: 1/17/2012 4:30:20 PM EDT
    [#37]
    Sorry I didn't see this until now.

I don't know what all you have at the moment, but here's what I know:

For oilfield jobs, www.rockinthebakken.com seems like a good starting point.

I worked for Titan Machinery for a couple months this year assembling machinery. It only paid $14.50/hr but it had great benefits. Unfortunately I couldn't make ends meet at that wage. They have other jobs open all the time & you can look at www.titanmachinery.com & look for a link/button that says something about jobs or careers.

Trucking companies that come to mind are Weist, S&S Transport, Otto Transport, .......now I'm drawing a blank......I'll post more if I remember.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Link Posted: 1/17/2012 4:33:11 PM EDT
    [#38]
    It does help, thanks.
    Link Posted: 1/17/2012 4:33:55 PM EDT
    [#39]
    OP:  Have you investigated water hauling or vacuum trucks in ND?

It's "on-site" work, requiring you to be there the entire day, but the money isn't bad and it doesn't matter where you work, those companies are ALWAYS looking for more people.

Up here, water haulers are getting $300/day and vacuum truck drivers $400+
    Link Posted: 1/17/2012 4:44:52 PM EDT
    [#40]
    Glad to hear you found a job OP.
    Link Posted: 1/17/2012 5:45:46 PM EDT
    [#41]
    I have looked at the water hauler jobs (and applied) but it is the same story...they want experienced drivers. I need some Halliburton guys to chime in on what I should do here.
    Link Posted: 1/17/2012 5:49:58 PM EDT
    [#42]
    Link Posted: 1/17/2012 7:02:15 PM EDT
    [#43]
    Remembered a few more.....

J-Mar trucking, Meyer, Bellerud, Kyllo, Magnum, Transystems (I've worked for them. They're seasonal & don't pay the best, but its a start), E. W. Wylie, Britton Transport, Can Am Express....

And there's a bunch more smaller companies I'm forgetting. I used to drive for a company located in West Central Minnesota that hauls grain & ran a lot in ND, & about 6 or 8 months ago, I could've named a lot more. But Google the names I've listed & it'll get you somewhere. Good luck!

ETA: I'd start calling grain elevators around the area in ND you want to live in & ask them if anybody is looking for drivers. There is a lot of grain haulers in ND.

And as far as that goes, there are a lot of grain hauling companies in the area of MN that I used to live in that take the same runs. Let me know if you want some of their names too.
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top