Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2001 1:41:33 PM EDT
I was just wondering are there any Tom Clancy fans here if so what is your favorite book. I really liked "Rainbow Six" I have to admit I bought the video game first and then I read the book and I was hooked. I really like how he gives good details on the small arms. Just to let you all know that "The Sum of All Fears" is eing filmed at this time in Montreal. Ben Afflict  is going to play Jack Ryan.

Six
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have read almost all his books.  I liked Without Remorse.

Torture in a pressure tank....oh yeah.....
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Rainbow six COVERT OPS, no wonder I can't get any work done.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have read quite a few and my vote goes to Without Remorse.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the game Rogue Spear its a pretty cool game made by him.    [sniper]
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Just finished The Bear and the Dragon.. His best books have to be Without Remorse and Clear and Present Danger.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Without Remorse, then Rainbow Six. Then Clear and Present Danger. Also enjoyed Patriot games, not as much action as the first too, but a good solid yarn worth checking out.

I want more of the John Clark story!
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I've read them all and while some are better than others, he hasn't put out a loser yet. My favorite was Red Storm Rising... I could just picture WWIII starting with a suicide screaming "Allah akbah!".
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Without Remorse, then Rainbow Six. Then Clear and Present Danger.
I want more of the John Clark story!
View Quote

BINGO!!

My sentiments exactely.

I hear the movie Rainbow Six is being made now as well.

They have to come up with a better John Clark then Wilham Dafoe, he just dosen't fit the part.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Clancy is good. "Without Remorse" is his best IMHO. The rest of them are excellent. Mr. Clark is my favorite. Jack Ryan is what Henry Bowman would have been if Jack's dad had been into guns.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't read any of his fiction, but do NOT read any of his non-fiction. He tries to make you think he knows something about the military he so obviously has never served in. One comment he made in "Armored Cav" (as close as I can remember it anyway): "There are actually some neanderthals left in the Army who do not believe women should be in combat..." After reading that P.C. human excrement paraded as fact, I have not read a word he has written since. Clancy sucks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't read any of his fiction, but do NOT read any of his non-fiction. He tries to make you think he knows something about the military he so obviously has never served in. One comment he made in "Armored Cav" (as close as I can remember it anyway): "There are actually some neanderthals left in the Army who do not believe women should be in combat..." After reading that P.C. human excrement paraded as fact, I have not read a word he has written since. Clancy sucks
View Quote

Unreconstructed, chill out man. Fiction is fiction. Don't know if Clancy ever served, but if not, he's got some good sources. I agree with you about women in combat units. They don't belong there. If you really want to get your misogynist motor revved read some of the books by Harold Coyle. One of his better books is "The Ten Thousand". One of the characters is a female infantry commander. Not a major character, but she's there. So what? It's still a good story. It's fiction after all.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Apparently you know absolutly nothing about Clancy.

Quoted:
I haven't read any of his fiction, but do NOT read any of his non-fiction. He tries to make you think he knows something about the military he so obviously has never served in. One comment he made in "Armored Cav" (as close as I can remember it anyway): "There are actually some neanderthals left in the Army who do not believe women should be in combat..." After reading that P.C. human excrement paraded as fact, I have not read a word he has written since. Clancy sucks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The SUm of All Fears was awesome!  His detailed analysis of the first moments of a nuclear detonation were captivating.  He has that gift that all good writers have, he takes you into the story and instead of reading the words you visualize what you are reading and the words become almost invisible in your mind.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I started reading Tom Clancy ever since I was on subs at Pearl Harbor.  At quarters one morning, Captain Crotchrot, AKA Fishlips, mentioned a book.

We were not to discuss it with anyone, and if a reporter asked about it, we were to direct him or her to public affairs.  We even had to repeat back the no comment phrase.

Needless to say, that resulted in 120 book sales for The Hunt for Red October.

Damn!  The slang was kinda hokey, but we were sure he was headed for Leavenworth.    
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
From my information gathering at www.upcomingmovies.com. Rainbow Six really is not going any where yet. If I had to pick the perfect John Clark I would have to say it would Tom Berringer. Maybe second best would be Russell Crowe, after seeinf Proof Of Life. he would have to ditch the Aussie accent.

Six
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The Hunt For Red October was his best book.
It was based on a real event.

Tom Clancy was an insurance salesman, he ditched that life to write. He never served.

It has been suggested that because he never served he was able to "read" between the lines when he was doing his research for The Hunt For Red October.
I has also been suggested that he has some very inside information.

While I have never read that he is anti-gun, it has been posted on the list that he is.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top