Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2011 8:45:23 PM EDT
So apparently Tom Sellek has starred in about 10 hallmark made for TV movies as a small town massachusetts police chief with a drinking problem and an affliction for quality 1911's in this murder mystery made for TV mini-series.

I dont know what it is about these movies, but THEY'RE FUCKING FANTASTIC!!!

seriously, i know you're thinking that im full of shit, but ive watched about 4 of them and im completely hooked. They've been the highlight of my week for about two weeks now, waiting to get a new on in the mail.

The movies are  based on some writers novels and they have that dark, slow burning paper back murder mystery soul that shines regardless of production budget. The actors are fabulous and the character development is absolutely superb.

Its one of those stories that draws you in and makes you think about it for days. Theyre easy to watch and totally captivating.

Im going to cross post this in the BOTS because Tom Sellek's character is the stereotypical tough guy cop that every cop admires while still fully developing the more sophisticated caring good hearted soul that most movies dont often delve into.

Trust me, rent the first one, if its shit you can bannate me. But im guessing you wont be disappointed!

BTW, yes i know that theres a movie and TV section on arfcom, but im posting this notice here as a pubic service to all arfcommers who will appreciate these movies.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the Jesse Stone series, there is a new one due out soon I think.

Really good stuff, especially considering they're TV movies.

Try to watch them from the beginning as it's an ongoing story line.
Think Justified meets Magnum PI

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed on all counts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is the order of the movies:

Stone Cold

Night Passage

Death in Paradise

Sea Change

Thin Ice

No Remorse

Innocents Lost

And they are currently filming Benefit of the Doubt.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I love em and read the books too.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]

I buy each episode on DVD as soon as it's released.  The series ROCKS!!  One of the appeals for me is that, although he is a flawed man, Jesse is still played as a manly MAN.  Amazing how rare that is in anything coming out of Hollywood these days.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
glad that im not alone on this.

I was REALLY surprised as well to see that there was a level of officer safety and tactical awareness in these "made for TV" movies that are usually regarded as cheap crap.

Little details that most people wont pick up on unless they've been a cop or taken some classes. Stuff that tells me that they have some kind of police consultant with a fucking head on his shoulders.

In one movie he shoots a guy right handed while diving for cover and then changes to his left hand while clearing the left side of a wall. Most movies dont concern themselves with minor things like pie-ing corners and such.

Also, in one movie he gets shot in the right arm and stops carrying his 1911 and switches to a snub nosed revolver while hes healing. While practicing at the range another cop (suitcase) asks him why he doesnt just get an ambidexterous safety for his 1911 so he can carry it left handed and he says, "i dont like ambi safeties, they break too often because theres too much torque on them"

Right there i knew that either Tom Sellek or somebody who's writing or consulting for that movie is a long time 1911 fan who knows his shit.

Also, apparently Tom Sellek is a big gun buff who collects lever action antique rifles or something similar.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
That role fits him like a glove.  He plays it exactly as I imagined the character in the books, but better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love the Jesse Stone series, there is a new one due out soon I think.

Innocents Lost is the latest and came out on dvd a month or so ago. I literally just finished watching it.

The next one, Benefit of the Doubt, will probably be broadcast next spring. At least that's been the schedule for them the past few years.

And if you're gonna start watching them, take note that while Stone Cold was the first one broadcast, Night Passage actually occurs first chronologically.

Damn fine movies period, TV or otherwise.

Eta: does anyone watch Blue Bloods? Is it worth a look?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I buy each episode on DVD as soon as it's released.  The series ROCKS!!  One of the appeals for me is that, although he is a flawed man, Jesse is still played as a manly MAN.  Amazing how rare that is in anything coming out of Hollywood these days.

Tom Selleck is a great actor, I'll watch pretty much anything he's in.

For those of you who don't know, Tom Selleck starred with Sam Elliot in a series of TV movies based on Louie L'Amour's The Sacketts.

You guys should check those out too, if you like westerns and movies based on great books.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079840/

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]
The books were written by Robert B. Parker. He also wrote the Spenser series of books that the TV show "Spenser for Hire" was based on; he also wrote "Appaloosa". I've read all the Jesse Stone books and I've started on the Spenser series.

Parker died last year but somebody is going to continue writing the books.

Edit: The books are going to be written by Michael Brandman who co-wrote some of the Jesse Stone movies and co-wrote "Monte Walsh" with Parker. The newest Jesse Stone book "Killing the Blues " is out now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting.  I saw the DVDs at Costco and figured it was some cheesy made-for-TV mini-series.

We'll keep an eye out for it...
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Also, apparently Tom Sellek is a big gun buff who collects lever action antique rifles or something similar.

A big gun buff? Yeah, I guess you could say that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck#Political_views_and_the_NRA

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Stone Cold

Night Passage

Death in Paradise

Sea Change

Thin Ice

No Remorse

Innocents Lost

i just finished No Remorse and im deeply saddned to hear that i only have one more left to watch

i feel like such a flaming homo for talking about this, but they're really good movies.

Plus if it redeems me any, in the movies Jessie Stone bangs about every pretty younger woman that he wishes and some of them are pretty freaking hot.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quite true.  At first, I thought, 'meh', but damned good.

The wife is right about a thing or two, once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A big gun buff? Yeah, I guess you could say that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck#Political_views_and_the_NRA

lol, holy fuck. You would think that i would have heard something about Tom Sellek being the fucking SPOKESMAN of the NRA being as how im a member and all...

Thanks for the heads up though, apparently i need to leave my cave more often.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

i just finished No Remorse and im deeply saddned to hear that i only have one more left to watch

i feel like such a flaming homo for talking about this, but they're really good movies.

Plus if it redeems me any, in the movies Jessie Stone bangs about every pretty younger woman that he wishes and some of them are pretty freaking hot.

I know what you mean about reaching the end of the road till they toss us another one.

Never thought I'd enjoy the series as much as I have. Usually TV movies are the last thing I'd want to watch...

But dude, it's Tom Selleck, he kicks ass. He was Magnum PI for frig sakes!

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what you mean about reaching the end of the road till they toss us another one.

Never thought I'd enjoy the series as much as I have. Usually TV movies are the last thing I'd want to watch...

But dude, it's Tom Selleck, he kicks ass. He was Magnum PI for frig sakes!

at 26 im actually a little young for magnum PI but i may have to start watching those too... Hes definately had time to prefect his act as a cop and tough guy over the years.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up though, apparently i need to leave my cave more often.

No problem.

But hey, don't leave the cave just yet...

While you wait for the next Jesse Stone movie, you can watch The Sacketts.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Great movies. A little Tom Selleck trivia. He turned down the role of Indiana Jones because he had already agreed to star in a tv show. Most actors would have broken their contracts for the chance to play the lead role in a Speilberg/Lucas movie. Fortunately for Mr. Selleck, that show turned out to be Magnum, P.I. .

EDIT - spelling.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Great movies. A little Tom Selleck trivia. He turned down the role of Indiana Jones because he had already agreed to star in a tv show. Most actors would have broken their contracts for the chance to play the lead role is a Speilberg/Lucas movie. Fortunately for Mr. Selleck, that show turned out to be Magnum, P.I. .  

i wonder which show would have made him more famous. We could use a big time silver screen actor like him in hollywood over the past few decades. I dont have anything against Harrison Ford, i really like him too, but apparently hes no spokesman for the NRA!

actually although i remember hearing that Tom Sellek was offered the Indiana Jones role, hes also not pro RKBA.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to be the black sheep again & say that while the movies are ok with some cool gun scenes, the overall greatness of them is a 5 out of 10.

The dialogue is pretty bland, cliche'd & the characters can be pretty annoying. Suitcase especially.

That said, I still watch them. Saul Rubinek is entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stone Cold

Night Passage

Death in Paradise

Sea Change

Thin Ice

No Remorse

Innocents Lost

Apparently he's still working on them! Keep the faith!

Homo, why? If you were talking like this about, say, Moonlight, we'd demand your man card. But like da man said, Sellek plays a tough guy so well, he's entirely believable.

Anyone want to bet that he bangs the nun?

They DO have some hotties on that show! One of them was Mimi Rogers, who (at one time) he had been dating.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:54:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a hard time feeling sorry for him, losing his big city gig, being an alky, etc, because all the chicks in sight kept throwing themselves under him.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:01:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Good TV movies with decent plots and good scripts. Acting is fine, too, especially for television.

And yes, there are some fine looking women in the movies, too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:02:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got Stone Cold on DVD, haven't watched it for some time though. I may get some of the others too. I like Selleck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#26]
My favorite Jesse Stone actor!

Has the most expressive acting in the series!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:15:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, but the character he plays is worthless as a watchdog...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Just watched "Night Passage" again via netflix. Great video!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Great series.  Tom Selleck is a great guy.  I wish he would get around to making some westerns again.  Ya, you could say he's a 'gun guy'.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Everytime I see one of those I start drinking scotch. Good shows to drink to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Probably one of the few DVD's I have bought over the last few years have been the Jesse Stone series.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Very good movies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top