Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/23/2011 11:31:59 PM EDT
Is there any reason why I shouldn't move to AZ? Nothing really tying me down to WA. I want a fresh start.

So other than being full or hot, why shouldn't I move down there? Any other recommended states?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Scorpions....spiders....snakes....possums (i.e. big fucking wild cats)....oh and a few illegals
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The one turn off for me is the availability of jobs and the influx of southern immigrants. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
critters don't bother me. illegals do bother me. I refuse to learn Spanish.

How bad is the job market there compared to WA?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
if you have ever or will ever vote democrat that is reason enough not to come here.  If you will NEVER EVER EVER EVER vote democrat you have no reason not to move here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

there are jobs here. just not in the construction and housing industry. That got hit hard here.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude, IIRC, you're single young guy. FUCKING GO TO ARIZONA STATE. You'll thank me.

ETA: You don't have to go to the school, just live near it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Hot, dry, desert, scorpions, snakes, mexicans, nothing to do, no water, too many people, real estate bust, etc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, and "real estate bust" means you don't have a bunch of real-estate douchebags fucking up your game with toys they should never have been able to afford in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Oh, and "real estate bust" means you don't have a bunch of real-estate douchebags fucking up your game with toys they should never have been able to afford in the first place.

it also means if you want to buy a house and haven't fucked your credit up beyond repair you can get a smoking deal on a great home cheaper than most people pay rent for a shit apartment.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

it also means if you want to buy a house and haven't fucked your credit up beyond repair you can get a smoking deal on a great home cheaper than most people pay rent for a shit apartment.

Perfect to throw parties in for your wildcats
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I could live there no problem. In fact I've come to the conclustion I could live in every state in the Southwest up to Arizona and every state in the Southeast and be very happy. In a perfect world I would live in Southern California if half the shit I own wouldn't make me a felon instantly. Until then, fuck California.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

there are jobs here. just not in the construction and housing industry. That got hit hard here.

IIRC There aren't any of those jobs anywhere in the country.

Also, not single anymore. I have a very lovely young girlfriend who likes shooting.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I could live there no problem. In fact I've come to the conclustion I could live in every state in the Southwest up to Arizona and every state in the Southeast and be very happy. In a perfect world I would live in Southern California if half the shit I own wouldn't make me a felon instantly. Until then, fuck California.

dude.. if i were to transplant my house from AZ to CA.. there would be about 75 felony counts.. at minimum!  I am 100% legal in AZ.  It sucks because CA is geographically one of the most awesome places on earth, and the people there are good folks(the normal parts, I am not counting most of LA county and bay area)

ETA:
I moved to Arizona in 2005 from Southern California(for work).. and freaking LOVE IT!!!  I knew I would like it too, I already had friends here and had been here a mess of times.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Both washington and arizona have a 9.3% unemployment rate as of aug 2011.

So why? What skills do you have, which part of washington are you from, are you going to buy a home?

You did not give enough info to make a real determination on why you should move there.

BTW whats wrong with Mexicans never meet one that was not hard working and honest, cannot say the same for Gringos
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could live there no problem. In fact I've come to the conclusion I could live in every state in the Southwest up to Arizona and every state in the Southeast and be very happy. In a perfect world I would live in Southern California if half the shit I own wouldn't make me a felon instantly. Until then, fuck California.

dude.. if i were to transplant my house from AZ to CA.. there would be about 75 felony counts.. at minimum!  I am 100% legal in AZ.  It sucks because CA is geographically one of the most awesome places on earth, and the people there are good folks(the normal parts, I am not counting most of LA county and bay area)

ETA:
I moved to Arizona in 2005 from Southern California(for work).. and freaking LOVE IT!!!  I knew I would like it too, I already had friends here and had been here a mess of times.

Exactly what I was getting at. As far as my lifestyle, Southern California would be amazing. Perfect weather practically every day of the year, beaches, mountains, and desert all less than a days drive in all directions. I would absolutely love to live in California, but there's no way I could derive any enjoyment from living within the parameters they place on their residents. I sincerely hope one day it changes, if so, moving to California will become my top priority. And that's coming from a native Texan who loves his state.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#16]
No trees.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Never understood why people like trees so much.

Quoted:

No trees.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hot, dry, desert, scorpions, snakes, mexicans, nothing to do, no water, too many people, real estate bust, etc.

Nothing to do? You so crazy
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No trees.

Tress are overrated anyway. Just gives you leaves to rake and gutters to clog.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#20]
So crowded that it might tip over.

Oh, no wait, that was Guam.

Never mind...

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#21]
what part of AZ, and what will you be hoping to do for work?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

no idea, anything.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, my buddy Dave lives there!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:22:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My name is Dave.. do i know you?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:33:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No trees.

Tress are overrated anyway. Just gives you leaves to rake and gutters to clog.

We have tree's..... They just have pricklies all over them

If you dont vote Democrat, you are welcomed to come. Don't worry about illegals, they aren't as bad as everyone says. I lived in PHX for 22 years and had one bad encounter (Totaled my car) but that was it. Plus you can just conceal a weapon just in case you get into a tough spot with one. AZ is a nice state, lots of 4-wheeling, hiking, fishing, hunting, baseball, football, entertainment (ASU, Glendale area, and other places). You wanna cool off, go up north, some awesome country to explore!  I don't see why you wouldn't wanna come to AZ.

If you are looking for illegals though..... Just go towards Tucson and you'll find plenty

Drugs your thing? Apache Junction is the town for Meth, Scottsdale for Cocaine, and Pot is well ha everywhere as usual. Anything else you need, you can prob find just like any other state.

Plus we might have some beach front property by Yuma soon enough ;) Just waiting for that fault to break off Cali from us
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:33:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My name is Dave.. do i know you?

Nah, he doesn't own any firearms.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:30:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No trees.

Listen to this man, AZ is a hell hole please stay away! No water, no trees no nothing...

Standing on San Francisco Peaks (Flagstaff) looking north, Aspen trees in color

West Fork trail in Oak Creek canyon North of Sedona

Lake Mary, Coconino National Forest.

Potato Lake Mogollon Rim, Aspen trees in full color

Watson Lake, Prescott - just drifting in a kayak
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:48:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could live there no problem. In fact I've come to the conclusion I could live in every state in the Southwest up to Arizona and every state in the Southeast and be very happy. In a perfect world I would live in Southern California if half the shit I own wouldn't make me a felon instantly. Until then, fuck California.

ETA:

Exactly what I was getting at. As far as my lifestyle, Southern California would be amazing. Perfect weather practically every day of the year, beaches, mountains, and desert all less than a days drive in all directions. I would absolutely love to live in California, but there's no way I could derive any enjoyment from living within the parameters they place on their residents. I sincerely hope one day it changes, if so, moving to California will become my top priority. And that's coming from a native Texan who loves his state.
Same can be said for Phoenix AZ.

We have Flagstaff if you want to ski or otherwise enjoy winter weather in winter and forests... about 100 miles to the north. Also lots of mountains there.

There is also Payson, AZ for more forest lands about 80 mi away.

Las Vegas is about 270mi northwest of us.

Los Angeles is about 300mi west of us.

Lots of lakes around here.

LOTS of desert land not too far from the city.
VERY Activce shooting community and TONS of gun stores, and quite a few professional instructors in Phoenix Metro area...  and a decent shooting school up in Prescott.

The housing market is DIRT CHEAP here, and you get nice houses for the money.

Phoenix is STILL a growing area,... and will continue to grow for the above mentioned qualities. Once all the foreclosures and short-sales get sifted out of the market and get sold... the real estate market will go up again...I just doubt it will get anywhere near as crazy as it did before. But I do think investing in Phoenix area real estate is a good idea.

I'm actually in the market to buy a home here in the Phoenix metro area,... with CASH. So I won't owe anything!

I *LOVE* Phoenix AZ!

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:51:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Real Estate bust is a *GOOD* thing if your a buyer.

Why would someone want to buy in a market that is "topped off" rather than "bottomed out". Buying real estate at the "bottom" means that you can only go up. If you buy it when its "topped off/peaked off"... your only going to LOOSE money.

Heck, Phoenix area has already hit bottom, and is going up. As more of the foreclosures and short sales get bought out... and housing supply starts to go down, real estate values will go up as more and more people move into the valley.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I like Oak Creek Canyon and Carefree, AZ...

Maricopa County is too insane now....

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Don't forget the heat during the summer.  It can be brutal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:25:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no idea, anything.

sounds like the illegal's plan.

you don't fit the demographic to go on unlimited government assistance, so you better have a plan for work BEFORE you get there.

and, if you get an apartment, you should probably learn some Spanish/Mexican, you'll be surrounded by Mexican only speaking people. it might come in handy when Pedro is parked in your space, and Yolanda is parked behind him ........and they don't even know each other, and certainly don't give a fuck about some gringo and the apartment manager is related to one or both of them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:59:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Bwock Bwock Bwock, cluck cluck cluck, bwooooock!.

That's what you always say.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No trees.

Listen to this man, AZ is a hell hole please stay away! No water, no trees no nothing...
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/richardv308/Az10-2010044.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/richardv308/IMG_1349.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/richardv308/Az10-2010037.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/richardv308/Az10-2010008.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/richardv308/IMG_2079.jpg

dude, STFU, we don't want no NY yankees moving here
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#35]
No kidding,soon he will want to take a road trip and then I gotta deal with his ass...

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No trees.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no idea, anything.

sounds like the illegal's plan.

you don't fit the demographic to go on unlimited government assistance, so you better have a plan for work BEFORE you get there.

and, if you get an apartment, you should probably learn some Spanish/Mexican, you'll be surrounded by Mexican only speaking people. it might come in handy when Pedro is parked in your space, and Yolanda is parked behind him ........and they don't even know each other, and certainly don't give a fuck about some gringo and the apartment manager is related to one or both of them.

Yeah, how do I know you never have been to Phoenix?  

First off, pick a good neighborhood.  That goes without saying.  It can go from dodgy, to nice, to dodgy, to great, in only a couple of blocks.  That's really anywhere though.  You definitely want to do some first hand recon before you commit, and ask around in the HTF about an area.  I've met maybe a dozen HTF guys since I've been out here, and everybody is cool.  

If you stay the fuck out of Guadalupe and the immediate surrounding area, there's no real need for Spanish.  There's a lot of people out here who don't speak English as their born or primary language, but for day to day commerce, you're fine.  The guy running the check out at Walmart might not be a native English speaker, but he does know English, so you can talk to him.  And I haven't found Mexicans to be overly obnoxious or in your face.  Mostly, they're like everybody else, they just blend in, go about their day, and leave you alone.  Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.  Again though, I don't live, work, or play in the barrio.  I don't speak a lick of Spanish and I've yet to feel hindered.  

Jobs.  If you're not overly particular to start out, and you just want some cash flow, jobs are a dime a dozen out here.  Seriously, I had a job less than a week after I moved out here.  It doesn't pay a lot, and it's hard work, but it is work, and I do get a check every week.  I've had maybe 6 or so other interviews, I turned down one job, and I'm about to quit one I started two days ago and just focus on the first one I got right after I got out here.  Hell, the guy who owns the place won't leave me alone.  It's a rare day that I don't get a text asking if I want to put in some work the next day.  Financially, it's slow death, but it'll work until I can hook a real job.  All I do is just troll Craigslist for a few minutes a day and send out a resume if it looks like a good job.  Most weekdays, 2-300 jobs a day pop up on the Phoenix Craigslist.  All different kinds.  You'll be fine if you're not a total fuck.

But other than that, come your ass down here.  I moved from Illinois three weeks ago and I've got no regrets.  Arizona is God's land, for sure.  If you can watch a sunset out here and not think it's direct evidence that God wants you to be happy, you're just an asshole.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No trees.

Ok, this thread is of intrest to me.

I've been thinking about moving to AZ. once my situation in Ma. allows me to. I've been looking at the Payson area and Potato Lake is just north of there. I'm likin' what I'm seein'. Thanks Rich!

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't forget about the KILLER BEES.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The water issue is a big issue out west here.

That, I would say, was the biggest adjustment for me coming from a place that had water & rain (Italy), and then moving to western Colorado where we get less than 9" per year.  I love the desert, but I certainly miss the lush green forests of Italy and other places in the US.

The climate overall is more suited for me here in Colorado.  The low humidity and excessive amounts of sunshine make for a happy life.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Well rumor has it that people don't like hiring transplants because they never last more than a year.

I knew a guy in the trades who moved to AZ, back before the "crisis".

Sort of thought he'd go cash in on the gold rush, bright future in AZ and all that.

He was back in a year. Said he hated everything about it, but the people in the service industry were nice.

He couldn't compete with the Mexican labor force either, so I hope you're not a tradesman.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Real Estate bust is a *GOOD* thing if your a buyer.
Why would someone want to buy in a market that is "topped off" rather than "bottomed out". Buying real estate at the "bottom" means that you can only go up. If you buy it when its "topped off/peaked off"... your only going to LOOSE money.

Heck, Phoenix area has already hit bottom, and is going up. As more of the foreclosures and short sales get bought out... and housing supply starts to go down, real estate values will go up as more and more people move into the valley.

Hate to break it to ya but it's only going to go down. We haven't even seen the vast majority of the foreclosed properties BofA and WF are holding onto. That'll hit the market at some point and crash it again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#42]
If i had to live someplace other than Texas, Arizona would be high on my list.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#43]
If you are young, no dependants, have a little money saved up, go wherever you like. Some people stagnate if they stay in one place too long.  

Just do it and if you don't like it,move back.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Summer.
Otherwise AZ is awesome.

(AZ summer beats IN winter though. )
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#45]
No yabos.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No trees.

Oh snap! I was so busy putting that New Yorwker in his place I forgot OPSEC!!!

Ignore those pictures they are all from Colorado.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ok, this thread is of intrest to me.

I've been thinking about moving to AZ. once my situation in Ma. allows me to. I've been looking at the Payson area and Potato Lake is just north of there. I'm likin' what I'm seein'. Thanks Rich!

Close to Payson Colorado you can find this.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#48]
The whole Phoenix area gives me the creeps.  I don't know what it is, but I can only spend a day there and I'm ready to leave.  Other than that, I love AZ. I spent four years in Prescott and if I didn't need a job I'd move back in a heartbeat. Also spent almost a year in Yuma which was surprisingly fun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No trees.

Beautiful.  I've wanted to go back out West for years.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Ironic, my brother just moved from Az to Wa. I guess the grass is always greener.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top