Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2001 9:12:53 PM EDT
Some NRA members are getting frustrated by the amount of mail the NRA sends. Some say it is a great waste of money, while others say worse things. We have advise if you are a new member and don't want to receive much junk mail. News at the "mail" icon at:
National CCW Reciprocity Foundation
http://www.NationalCCW.com

What's you opinion on this matter?
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree,  too much.  They lose their meaning after the first 5 pounds or so.

How many times do I have to be told my subscription is due (even though I recently renewed)?
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I bugs the hell outta me.  Its also pretty insulting to my intelligence.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
i agree with the above.mmk
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]
It don't matter if you renewed last week, you will get a ton of "begging for money letters" the next week.  Almost makes me feel ashamed to re-up every year.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 3:04:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I attend college in a different state, and have my NRA magazine sent to my house.  I sent the NRA this letter, and i have not received a SINGLE peice of mail besides my First Freedom issues from the NRA.

"I just applied for a new one year membership, and i would like to be placed on the reduced mailing list, as i am only home a few months of the year.  Please spend the savings on protecting my 2nd Amendment rights, especially that of military-pattern firearms that the Republicans are quickly throwing away to appease the Democrats in Congress."
I then included my name and full mailing address (i didnt have my NRA membership number at that point, but that might help)

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm life NRA, but I send my money to Neal Knox.  It's sad, but I just think I'm getting more bang for my buck.  NRA spent two thirds of everything I sent to ask me for more.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 3:33:46 AM EDT
[#7]
HERE, HERE.........Now........

HOW do we make THEM HEAR, HEAR???????

OUT HERE...
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a solution to the NRA carbet bombing of your mailbox -

Become a life member.

Ever since I did, I don't get anymore junk mail from them. In fact, I don't get ANY mail from them - not my American rifleman, not their legislative alerts - NOTHING. Heck, I haven't even got my qtrly billing invoice.

[:D]

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Just another reason that Wayne and the gang need to be thrown out on their asses and replaced with some people who have some commom sense, Ever wonder how much all these mailings cost us?,I mean WE the menbership is paying for all of this shit, Just think what could be done to stop the anti's, with the money they spend for mailings, if anything reduce it to ONCE a month, and save some money
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ralph Holderbaum:
Ever wonder how much all these mailings cost us?,I mean WE the menbership is paying for all of this shit, Just think what could be done to stop the anti's, with the money they spend for mailings, if anything reduce it to ONCE a month, and save some money
View Quote

RALPH -

It takes money to make money.

I'm quite sure NRA personnel have run the numbers, and determined that in order to fund their objectives, they NEED to pound the pavement and drum up support with these mailings.

Veyr likely, were they to cut down on the money grubbing mailings, TOTAL support would drop MORE THAN the $$$ saved by not sending the mailings.

Now, if you wanna complain about the weenie way teh NRA goes about doing SOME OF what it does, well thats another story....
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#11]
The goofy mailings must work or they wouldn't do it.  They must figure that if they stay in your face, you'll pony up the cash.

It's been one of my pet peaves too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#12]
You people are sure ungrateful. You, whether you believe it or not, can own the firearms you have because of the NRA. If you don't like the mailings, don't respond, it is not mandatory to send more. They do make money on these though. A NRA field Rep. said they woudn't do it if they didn't make money. Money to protect your gun rights.

If you don't like the current administration, use your voting rights on the NRA ballot.
You can always belong to HCI!

So what have you done to help the cause lately Ralph?

NRA Endowment Life
SASS
NMLRA
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#13]
G-man,
I see your point to an extent, but I still think it's a waste of money to send members like myself 1-2 mailings a week for the whole year!!! multiply that by 4 millon members and thats alot of money on mail!!! not to mention getting all that stuff printed up. And as Neal Knox has pointed out, Wayne and the boys to this day REFUSE to tell us members what we're paying them per year   WHY? what are they afraid of?? I think a change of tactics is in order, I mean I feel I do my bit, Every year the NRA has a banquet here in town,my wife and I go,We usually spend $2-300.00 I figure that's my contribution for the year, I also try to recruit people when I can, But what do you tell people when you get them to join, and they get a flood of junk mail that never stops???
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ralph Holderbaum:
G-man,
I see your point to an extent, but I still think it's a waste of money to send members like myself 1-2 mailings a week for the whole year!!! multiply that by 4 millon members and thats alot of money on mail!!!
View Quote

ralph-

Agreed. it DOES NOT make sense to send mailings to members UNTIL they're membership is coming due for renewal. Like I say, once I became a life member - POOF!!!!! bye, bye mailings!!!

Another point about HOW they are spending the money (and i don't want to imply any guilt by this, it may have been a simple snafu)

...but several months ago, I requested (but never received) IRS Form 990 from the NRA, which non-profits are required by law to send to ANYONE who requests them. Form 990 is an annual informational return that tells about where an organizations gets it $$$, how much they get, and where they spend it. even how much the Directors get paid.

Form 990 has the info Neal Knox is looking for. I believe.

All in all, i support the NRA, as they have the most clout on the guns right issue. I may have some operational issues with them, as to how they go about doing what they do, but on the whole, I support them. Heck, I'm a life member.

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Stronghorn,
I think joining HCI is a little extreme,Read my last post I do what I can...I also used my vote to vote against everything wayne and the boys wanted, I think it's time for a change. I think EVERY state should have a NRA rep. not just the "chosen few"  our NRA reps should be able to say what they feel without fear of losing their job as rep. Something that's not possable under the Lapeierre command.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Ralph, I believe you and outhers, myself in-
cluded, should get up a letter/petition and
inform the NRA that it might be more cost
effective if they were to use email more for
their solicitation efforts.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Hangfire,
That's a fine Idea!! would probably save the NRA hundreds of thousands of dollars in mail cost alone, Any ideas on how to get started?
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a solution to the NRA carbet bombing of your mailbox -

Become a life member.

Ever since I did, I don't get anymore junk mail from them. In fact, I don't get ANY mail from them - not my American rifleman, not their legislative alerts - NOTHING. Heck, I haven't even got my qtrly billing invoice.

[:D]

View Quote

That would actually be of no use if they weren't billing you and collect funds that would support them. It doesn't mean anything to be a Life Member unless you are actually contributing. If you really want to support the NRA. I would contact them. There could of been an error in their billing system.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]
i agree with garandman.  they wouldn't do it if it wasn't profitable.  yeah, it is a pain knowing the money is used that way, but how else are they gonna get money period?  think about it.  if they stop asking, who would continue to give?  i personally need the reminders.  doesn't mean i send money with every one, but when there's some extra cash lying around, i'll ante up.

nothing is perfect, and if you expect everything to be you'll be disappointed for the rest of your life.  focus on the positives and TRY AND FIX the negatives instead of complaining about it.

and they are on our side.  it might do well to remember that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]
this junk mail is all George W's idea. first cut down all the trees to make paper for the nra, then since it's nolonger a forest set up rigs and drill for that needed oil!
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want to save the Second Amendment, you must support the NRA no matter how screwed up they are. Nobody else has anywhere near as much clout.

If you want to fix the NRA, support Neal Knox. He is the loyal opposition and is fighting against excessive junk mail and the corrupt racketeering of the current ruling elite.

At election time, I personally vote for the candidates NOT recommended by Wayne's nominating committee -- and no one else.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been too scared to ignore NRA junkmail since I received an "offer" to subsribe to a video series. The literature exclaimed that the videos would begin arriving and I would be billed for them unless I sent a written reply requesting otherwise within 15 days of receiving the offer. I hate any subsribe-by-default-if-you-do-not-reply-offer from anybody. I hate having to cancel items, reverse charges make phone calls, etc. for something I never ordered in the first place. Thank God I caught that in time. Of course to balance this small triumph off, I accidentally threw an insurance company annual dividend refund check in the trash thinking it was just another advertisement.

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#24]
btt
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#25]
So, it appears that all of are tired of all of the mailings,As Hangfire pointed out why does'nt the NRA send these mailings via E-mail??? getting a database of E-mail addresses would be simple, simply put a box on the next mailing and ask everybody for their E-mail address, and start sending them that way,The savings would be huge, figure .034 cents for a stamp, multiply that by 4 millon,that tells you what it costs for ONE mailing,multiply that figure by 50,(50 wks in a business year) and ...WOW! thats alot of stamps to lick!!! There's NO reason that they (NRA) don't do this, The money saved could be better used elsewhere, I figure that if half of the membership has a PC, the savings over a years time would be in the millions!!! If they're always worried about money why don't they do something to try to save some??????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top