Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2011 6:23:46 PM EDT
One of my customers was lamenting that since the wild turkeys have made a comeback at his farm the quail have all but disappeared.

He is the fourth person to tell me that turkeys have had a negative impact on quail populations on their land.

Fish & Game folks say no way turkeys are responsible but  these four men insist that they are.

Opinions????????

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Two words:  'Habitat change.'
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
On my 250 acre farm I have turkey, pheasant and quail in abundance. I think if there is enough food they do not raid each others nest, not that I think they do anyway.

A similar thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1200599&page=1#i28864071
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've hunted quail a number of places where wild turkeys were plentiful.
quail are subject to a couple of maladies that can crush their numbers suddenly.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Fox and Coyote are hitting your quail hard. Turkeys take a beating when nesting.

Thin the yotes out and you'll see the quail comeback.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fox and Coyote are hitting your quail hard. Turkeys take a beating when nesting.

Yup. Time to do some yote and fox hunting!

-ZA
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
We have 2 threads going on this same subject.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Agree with the others and I'll add this. It's the anti fur sentiment causing the problem. It's the protection of birds of prey as well. Back when there was money in trapping, rabbits and upland birds were plentiful. Now there is very little pressure on predators, both winged and footed. The populations have exploded. They need to eat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Its the rural form of an urban myth. Some old guys are full of shit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm no wildlife biologist, but your customer is full of feces. Been on the same deer lease for the last 10 years. We got turkey and quail. Populations of both seem to rise and decline due to rain and predators. When the turkey population was up, so was the quail population.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard the same remarks back home. We have a ton of turkeys back there and I guess that's only been the case for the past few decades, but quail are very rare now and grouse have also significantly declined. Pheasants are almost nonexistent there anymore.

My dad and his family used to do a lot of winged predator hunting when he was a kid and it was good to go. They did a lot of owl hunting in the spring, and I think hawks were typically always fair game too. I'm sure that helped. I don't go out of my way to hunt foxes or coyotes, but they are usually considered targets if seen. There's plenty of foxes around, but we rarely see them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Agree with the others and I'll add this. It's the anti fur sentiment causing the problem. It's the protection of birds of prey as well. Back when there was money in trapping, rabbits and upland birds were plentiful. Now there is very little pressure on predators, both winged and footed. The populations have exploded. They need to eat.

I agree totally. Most people haven't been around long enough to have first hand knowledge of the change in the number of predators. I saw very few hawks when I was a young hunter, in my teens and 20's. Nowadays you can't help but see them everywhere. We didn't have coyotes in PA that I knew of till the early 80's either. Now they can be heard at night anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Last time I said something on here about hawks being a problem, half of ARFCOM threw a shit fit.  

Sometimes it seems like there is one on every other power pole, and I have witnessed first hand a hawk diving on a covey of quail.

IMO the hawks and the fact that farmers push out every last fencerow and piece of cover so they can get 1 more bushel, is the majority of the problem.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Last time I said something on here about hawks being a problem, half of ARFCOM threw a shit fit.  

Sometimes it seems like there is one on every other power pole, and I have witnessed first hand a hawk diving on a covey of quail.

IMO the hawks and the fact that farmers push out every last fencerow and piece of cover so they can get 1 more bushel, is the majority of the problem.

I agree about the hawks. From my perspective there doesn't appear to be a shortage of them. I see them everywhere, all the time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Even around here some people say coyotes are eating all the rabbits and quail, but I see at least 30+ hawks for every coyote.  And I actively hunted coyotes last winter, in the daytime and night.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#15]
In my area it's been disease that has hurt bob white quail. I have a few small coveys around my house. I am thinking about raising bob whites on a small scale to keep the population up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yep.
The predators also have a huge impact on the Duck population. Especially in the Prairie Pot Hole section of the US.
We went out last year and only saw one covey.
The habitat for them is pretty much gone, at least around here it seems. Even our pheasant population is pretty low. However, there are more turkeys and deer than you can shake a stick at.

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Seen plenty of turkeys and quail on the same land at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Opinions????????

My opinion is that you need to talk to your friends.  You need to set up coyote hunts on the properties that are seeing negative population changes in their bird populations.

Humans aren't the only species who likes eggs, you know.

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I like any post that promotes killing Coyotes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top