Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2011 5:49:54 AM EDT
Linky

I know they've been doing this for a few years in other countries....oh well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet something to masturbate to while having a smoke....
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Just plain stupid. People know that smoking is bad for you. All this will do is increase sales of cigarette cases.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't wait to see what they're going to put on condom packages.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link doesn't have all nine options
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can't wait to see what they're going to put on condom bullet packages.  

fify
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Makes me think of the old Dennis Leary bit.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Blue Waffle brand.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i don't smoke but figure i can collect them all like trading cards

I heard that this is exactly what started happening when they were introduced in Canada.  Collect 'em all, kids!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#11]
What is the grand plan to replace tax revenues from cigarettes if usage drops even more?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck 'em.

I make my own smokes and carry them in my stainless steel case.

They can't take away my James Bond coolness factor w/ some hokey, raunchy images pulled from a 70's era medical textbook
Speed
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-OK287_0621ci_DV_20110621081230.jpg

Just plain stupid. People know that smoking is bad for you. All this will do is increase sales of cigarette cases.

I remember a commercial where a father is sticking a picture of his kids into a pack of cigarettes.  The pack was blank but had the very identifiable red top.  Now I see people buying Marlboro's and sticking pictures of their loved ones in there.

The tobacco companies have the smartest people on the face of the earth working for them.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Is that a picture of Obama they are using?  

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Racist!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i don't smoke but figure i can collect them all like trading cards

1st thing I thought of when I heard about this on the radio this morning

I heard that this is exactly what started happening when they were introduced in Canada.  Collect 'em all, kids!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#17]

you know, it's not smokers that need to get the point. smokers get it. "smoking is bad".

the government is the one missing the obvious here. smokers get it. and they don't care.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#18]
What about abortion pamphlets? Seat belt instructions? Firearms safety pamphlets?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#19]

If there is one type of government hypocrisy that really pisses me off it's tobacco. Gov will say smoking is bad, blah blah blah, but won't make tobacco illegal because gov is more addicted to the tax money it generates than chain smokers who go through 5+ packs of cigarettes a day.

Even if tobacco were made a schedule 1, smokers can still get their nicotine fix using a e-cig which is cheaper and more "environmentally" friendly than burning a dried weed.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Commonplace on British sold cigarettes (or "fags" as they call them); they know very well it won't stop anyone from smoking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHIT2or-F9o

Dennis Leary knows.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#22]
This is no doubt the largest problem in the country right now. This COULD NOT have waited. Don't you peole get it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If there is one type of government hypocrisy that really pisses me off it's tobacco. Gov will say smoking is bad, blah blah blah, but won't make tobacco illegal because gov is more addicted to the tax money it generates than chain smokers who go through 5+ packs of cigarettes a day.

Even if tobacco were made a schedule 1, smokers can still get their nicotine fix using a e-cig which is cheaper and more "environmentally" friendly than burning a dried weed.

Big tobacco is the cash cow of the .government.

They only need to Think of needing a new revenue stream and new tobacco taxes will come rolling in
It's kind of ironic when you think about it. The biggest colonies thrived because of illegally smuggled tobacco seeds and the export of tobacco

Hell, we might not even be a country if it wasn't for tobacco
Speed

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What is the grand plan to replace tax revenues from cigarettes if usage drops even more?

I'm sure the costs of treating cigarette smokers who depend on taxpayers for their health insurance far outweighs the tax revenue.  

I doubt it or theyd have raised it till they could have their pet projects covered also  

Quoted:
This is no doubt the largest problem in the country right now. This COULD NOT have waited. Don't you peole get it?

Can't tell if serious
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#25]
McDonalds.....Wendy's.....Berger King.....KFC...Toco Bell......ad on infinitem .  Los Angles...DEtroit...Cleveland ......New Yawk.........CHEEcogo....OH, and lets not forget CEWING GUM.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nothing.  The same people who hate tobacco have been pushing condom based 'Safe Sex' as part of their agenda to normalize homosexual deviancy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure the costs of treating cigarette smokers who depend on taxpayers for their health insurance far outweighs the tax revenue.  

Oddly, tobacco taxes fund the CHIP program (Children's Health Insurance) up to age 25

I've never seen how much is spent in medicare/medicaid on treating tobacco related illnesses vs tax revenue, but I think it might be difficult to find real numbers on that, seeing as anti-tobacco groups often skew them quite a bit and most of that research is conducted by those groups
Example: including lung cancer patients who never smoked as "tobacco related illness" because a relative did smoke.
It would probably be hard to get anyone to fund an objective study on tobacco related illnesses; I remember reading about the whole second hand smoke thing. Basically a few groups showed that their was not enough evidence based on several double blind studies over the years to show a correlation. Not satisfied with that, the anti-smoking groups just skewed their numbers their way and nobody ever got funded to do more studies on second hand smoke
Second hand smoke is firmly implanted into our nation's psyche as a "public health" risk, but no legitimate study has ever shown this to be plausible
Speed

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They only need to Think of needing a new revenue stream and new tobacco taxes will come rolling in
It's kind of ironic when you think about it. The biggest colonies thrived because of illegally smuggled tobacco seeds and the export of tobacco

Speed

You mean Big Tobacco can't switch to making e-juice and selling that like they currently sell tobacco.  Maybe they should take those billions of dollars they have and invent a disposable e-cig that lasts as long as a tobacco cig and you throw it away once your done. Gov can then tax that shit like a normal pack of smokes.

Everyone would be happy, big tobacco still makes money, nicotine addicts get their fix, gov gets the tax dollar fix, and no one dies of lung cancer. It's a win win.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Why's it gotta be a black man in the picture?

ETA:

Fuckin racist FDA.

If you go to their website and look at all of them, the number of blacks featured in the warning pictures far exceeds their percentage of the population.

I'm going to email them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

You mean Big Tobacco can't switch to making e-juice and selling that like they currently sell tobacco.  Maybe they should take those billions of dollars they have and invent a disposable e-cig that lasts as long as a tobacco cig and you throw it away once your done. Gov can then tax that shit like a normal pack of smokes.

Everyone would be happy, big tobacco still makes money, nicotine addicts get their fix, gov gets the tax dollar fix, and no one dies of lung cancer. It's a win win.
No, everyone would NOT be happy

You are under the assumption that smokers only smoke because it's a terrible addiction that they just can't shake.

Many smokers simply smoke because they enjoy it That's it. They know it's not healthy, but they like it.

Period.

I'm one of those smokers. If I didn't like it, I'd quit....actually that's not entirely true. I smoke cigarettes out of convenience, but I much prefer cigars

However it's not socially acceptable to smoke a big fat stogie everywhere, so it cigarettes in the daytime for me
Speed

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fact that taxpayers are covering it is the real problem.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#32]
The government needs to also list on each package how much they take in per pack in taxes and how much is paid to tobacco farmers. Full disclosure works both ways.
DISCLAIMER: I'm an ex-smoker for almost 6 years now but I still believe that if a product is legal then it shouldn't be subject to harassment by the government. If it's that bad for people, ban it and shut the hell up, if it's not, then collect the taxes and shut the hell up. Either way, the hypocritical government needs to just shut the hell up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
McDonalds.....Wendy's.....Berger King.....KFC...Toco Bell......ad on infinitem .  Los Angles...DEtroit...Cleveland ......New Yawk.........CHEEcogo....OH, and lets not forget CEWING GUM.

I honestly think you missed each letter of the alphabet in there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't wait to see what they're going to put on condom  bullet fast food packages.  

fify

Won't be too long before you see a pic of a 500lb white lady in a walmart scooter on your big mac wrapper.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Mmmmmm, reminds me of the anti smoking ads that Larry Flint put out.....in Hustler......30+ years ago.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't care what photo they use on my smokes as long it's not a photo of my First X - Wife.  If they do that,  it just means I will have to buy one of those plastic pack protector things in a Dark color.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I think I might buy a pack of each to keep as "collector items".

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think I might buy a pack of each to keep as "collector items".

Gotta catch em all!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

Cigarette smokers actually have lower lifetime healthcare costs than non-smokers.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I vote for the blue waffle.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What about abortion pamphlets? Seat belt instructions? Firearms safety pamphlets?

Lol, I was just thinking, burn victims on gas cans or on the gas pumps?

Is this really the .gov's job? If its so dangerous, make it illegal. If not, let it be, its a legal product.

Disclaimer:Ex smoker that dislikes smoking but understands that smokers have rights too.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#42]
So when are they going to put a car wrapped around a tree on my Bud Light 12 pack?

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#43]
That should be a Sprint and AT&T cellphone use ad.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Savvy businesses will simply find a way around it, same as they have dealt with the banning of smoking in any indoor public place.

Who is this supposed to target? Teenagers? They thrive on disgusting adults any chance they get in most cases. Adults? If minds can be changed by a package that is usually in a pocket or purse then this was a great idea!

Is it supposed to be less appealing on the shelf? Cigarettes are always behind the counter and too far away to see the packing anyway, that's why the bigger brands go mostly by color and not images. All the customer will see is blobs on the top of their Red Marlboros, Green Kools and Newports, Yellow Camels....

Someone will make a mint on jet black cigarette pack cases made of titanium!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#45]
We have had those pictures on cig packs for years and no one pays any attension to them. Sort of like those ads in the top right corner of every thread I open on Arfcom.

What you have to look at is who gains from this picture campaign. Just like in Canada, I will guarantee a liberal connected PR firm and a bunch of leftist lawyers were paid millions of your tax dollars to come up with this drivel.

It cannot be proved that one person quit smoking because of this campaign but a bunch of PR guys wives probably got a new X5 and their kids will be going to an Ivy league school instead of State.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Pretty much a waste of time & effort. People will ignore the graphics, just like the previous warnings
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Are menthols exempt?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top