Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2011 11:41:19 AM EDT

After the news of Osama bin Laden's death, reactions were split: there was the USA, USA, Greek Row kegstand contingent, and then those who saw the historical event as something more solemn and less bacchanalian.
Those in the latter camp flocked to a quote discouraging the celebration of death, allegedly by Dr. Martin Luther King:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not
rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate
multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of
stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate
cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

There've been various permutations flying around tweets and status
updates, but they all have one thing in common—they're made up.

Heh

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

After the news of Osama bin Laden's death, reactions were split: there was the USA, USA, Greek Row kegstand contingent, and then those who saw the historical event as something more solemn and less bacchanalian.

Those in the latter camp flocked to a quote discouraging the celebration of death, allegedly by Dr. Martin Luther King:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

There've been various permutations flying around tweets and status updates, but they all have one thing in common—they're made up.

Heh

HA! I just had a lib throw that quote in my face. Right back at ya...BOOM!

Thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
fuck osama bin laden, and fuck the fuckin al qada brothers, fuck 'em all.  I bury those cock-roaches. - tony montana.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Err...  The latter part IS by MLK.  

Some people put the quote marks in the wrong place.

I haven't seen the Twain attributed quote on FB.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Shocking. So they make things up to fit what they need? Color me purple.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#5]
People are so fucking easy to lie to...
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Whether the quote is real or fake shouldn't matter. The message is still appropriate. Massive cheering crowds, parades, etc are hardly better than the assholes handing out candy on 9/11 in Pakistan.

For the record I'm as happy as anybody else the SOB is dead, I just think we should maintain our decency unlike the animals were fighting against.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Whether the quote is real or fake shouldn't matter. The message is still appropriate. Massive cheering crowds, parades, etc are hardly better than the assholes handing out candy on 9/11 in Pakistan.

For the record I'm as happy as anybody else the SOB is dead, I just think we should maintain our decency unlike the animals were fighting against.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I just posted that link under a few supposed MLK quotes on FB....haha losers!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#10]

"It's amazing what people will believe on the internet so long
as it confirms their preconceived notions."

-Thomas Jefferson

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Err...  The latter part IS by MLK.  

Some people put the quote marks in the wrong place.

I haven't seen the Twain attributed quote on FB.

Looks like 2 quotes got concatenated.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Is "Boom! - Head Shot" a real quote or not because I've been using that one a lot lately.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]
You wouldn't believe how fast Libs are backpedalling, throwing MORE quotes out, to "Prove" they were right.  Can't admit they got taken in...

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is "Boom! - Head Shot" a real quote or not because I've been using that one a lot lately.

Bas Rutin
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"It's amazing what people will believe on the internet so longas it confirms their preconceived notions."

-Thomas Jefferson

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Can you not make the distinction between celebrating the deaths of 3000 innocent people vs the death of one mass murderer?
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Guess what you will look like when you get old?  I did mine.  It was hilarious.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"It's amazing what people will believe on the internet so longas it confirms their preconceived notions."

-Thomas Jefferson

"70% of statistics are made up on the spot."

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Meh, I couldn't care less if somebody thinks I'm the same because I cheered after his death. I guess to some, that is the equivalent of dragging people through the streets, beating and spitting on them, or beheading them and burning their bodies.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuck that noise.

Fight fire with fire. Use something they will understand.
I would have called a world wide press conference.
Get all the Gitmo detainees chained together in one place
I would have taken OBLs nasty ass corpse, cut is tiny ball and dick off and put them in his mouth, then put him thru a meat grinder and fed it to pigs.
After the pigs were "done" with him, I would emasculate the detainees and make sure they got somebody elses cock and balls in their mouth then superglued shut, then  spray that pig shit on the detainees and then set their asses on fire. That part should take no less than 8 hours
Then take those ashes and spread them on the houses of their relatives. and tell them to STFU.
The next time I see arabs "celebrating" in the streets over a US body, instant Tomahawk. You get caught setting a IED, we MOAB your hometown. Harboring bag guys like OBL, we friggin put a B61 Mod 11 on your head.
These goatfuckers are not afraid of us. They should be.
The devil scares the shit out of me. They call us the great satan. We should fuckin live up to their expectation.
These guys are little piss ant gnats and I am tired of just accepting that they want a piece of us. Its time to break out the DDT and just plain exterminate them before they find a way to exterminate us.
Fuck decency and all that liberal PC bullshit.
FBHO.
God bless the United States Of America

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

-Thomas Jefferson

I'm putting this on facebook
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#23]
This is the real MLK quote:

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction. The chain reaction of evil — hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars — must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation."

It is from his 1967 book, "Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?"
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

-Thomas Jefferson

Damn!!!  And I always thought it was Al Gore who invented the Internet.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that noise.

I would have taken OBLs nasty ass corpse, cut is tiny ball and dick off and put them in his mouth, then put him thru a meat grinder and fed it to pigs.

After the pigs were "done" with him, I would emasculate the detainees and make sure they got somebody elses cock and balls in their mouth then superglued shut, then  spray that pig shit on the detainees and then set their asses on fire. That part should take no less than 8 hours

Then take those ashes and spread them on the houses of their relatives. and tell them to STFU.

The next time I see arabs "celebrating" in the streets over a US body, instant Tomahawk. You get caught setting a IED, we MOAB your hometown. Harboring bag guys like OBL, we friggin put a B61 Mod 11 on your head.

The devil scares the shit out of me. They call us the great satan. We should fuckin live up to their expectation.

These guys are little piss ant gnats and I am tired of just accepting that they want a piece of us. Its time to break out the DDT and just plain exterminate them before they find a way to exterminate us.

FBHO.

ALL HAIL THE 45TH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!

11/10
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

-Thomas Jefferson

I snickered.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I've seen that shit a dozen times in the past day and want to ask them:

Do you really goddamn well think that if you hugged Mohammed Atta after he cut the pilot's throat that we wouldn't have flown the plane into the WTC?

Stop the fucking planet,I want to get off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Thomas Jefferson

I'm putting this on facebook

I just did it too.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've seen that shit a dozen times in the past day and want to ask them:

Do you really goddamn well think that if you hugged Mohammed Atta after he cut the pilot's throat that we wouldn't have flown the plane into the WTC?

Stop the fucking planet,I want to get off.

That's not what people are saying at all.

At least, not the folks i've seen post it.  On the whole they agree OBL needed to die.

What they're saying is that relief is understandable.  Glee, not so much.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fuck that.

I earned the right to celebrate that motherfucker's demise.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

-Thomas Jefferson

I laughed because so many people would believe it was a real quote.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

There've been various permutations flying around tweets and status updates, but they all have one thing in common—they're made up.

Heh

HA! I just had a lib throw that quote in my face. Right back at ya...BOOM!

Thanks for sharing.

I'd further go to say something like

"taking out a terrorist plotter who has, and probably is or will plot attacks against us resulting in hundreds if not thousands of my countrymen being killed... yeah, I'm gonna rejoice that he's dead."
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that noise.

FBHO.

10/10  
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You wouldn't believe how fast Libs are backpedalling, throwing MORE quotes out, to "Prove" they were right.  Can't admit they got taken in...

It's the psychological phenomenon where people will easily believe something positive about something that they like or support, or something negative about something they dislike or do not support.  We've all done it.

I haven't found the name for it yet, though.  Would be nice to know.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same.
There's such a thing as winning with some dignity and class. It makes the opposition / enemy look even more pathetic.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It's the psychological phenomenon where people will easily believe something positive about something that they like or support, or something negative about something they dislike or do not support.  We've all done it.

I haven't found the name for it yet, though.  Would be nice to know.

confirmation bias?

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you not make the distinction between celebrating the deaths of 3000 innocent people vs the death of one mass murderer?

I can but looking at from the Jihadi/Pakistani viewpoint, they were celebrating a massive blow against the "The Great Satan" so the reaction is not really different.

Personally when I heard the news, I had a smile on my face and had a nice glass of bourbon. No fanfare. Its just time to move on to the next target.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Read mine.  I hear it's fake, but I don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

-Thomas Jefferson

That's just about THE perfect quote to use in response.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Thomas Jefferson

It is getting a few snickers on FB.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#41]
"Osama fucked a puppy once, what a douche" - Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I you cant see the difference between people celebrating the death of thousands of innocent victims and the celebration of the death of the most infamous terrorist in history, there is something wrong with you.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I you cant see the difference between people celebrating the death of thousands of innocent victims and the celebration of the death of the most infamous terrorist in history, there is something wrong with you.

i've heard of a time in the not so distant past when our country dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan and fucked Berlin's shit up, and we held ticker tape parades...
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#44]
"Wikipedia can't be trusted.  Anyone can edit it and put anything on it."

- Thomas Jefferson
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

- Thomas Jefferson

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

- Thomas Jefferson

that's awesome and i'm stealing it
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Hitler proved that.
Quoted:
People are so fucking easy to lie to...

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I guess the best clarification I can give is: if you want to celebrate fine go ahead, if you wish for a scorched earth kill em all by any means necessary along with their brothers, sisters, mothers, sons and daughters fine. But in doing so you give up the right to criticize the other side for doing the same, ie dragging our dead bodies through the streets and attacking civilian targets.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I guess the best clarification I can give is: if you want to celebrate fine go ahead, if you wish for a scorched earth kill em all by any means necessary along with their brothers, sisters, mothers, sons and daughters fine. But in doing so you give up the right to criticize the other side for doing the same, ie dragging our dead bodies through the streets and attacking civilian targets.

WTF are you even talking about?

who here is cheering about women and children being killed?

people are celebrating that the terrorist mastermind behind 9/11 and who knows what other attacks (USS Cole, Embassy Bombings, WTC I, etc) is DEAD. this is a HUGE victory in the GWOT and should be celebrated. Just like V-E and V-J days.

the fact that you're equating terrorist suicide bombers killing US civilians and desecrating corpses to killing the "commander" of al-qaeda, is so full of WTF, i can't even comprehend it.

you're making less sense as this post progresses, maybe what you're typing sounded like a good idea in your head while you were smoking a bong earlier and catching up on the latest US apologist bullshit on DU, but now you just sound completely out of your mind...

out of  
and
out of

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Thomas Jefferson

I stole it from a guy on reason.com

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top