Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2011 8:27:50 PM EDT
I got permission to post this request here.
As many of you know, there is wide spread devastation in many parts of Alabama.

I have heard from several members in the areas hardest hit and those of us who can are helping the the many who have suffered total losses.

This is a link in the Hometown forum.
There are many members here who have been affected. Especially pray for the first responders and those who have suffered the loss of loved ones and friends. I don't think there is anyone
in AL who does not know someone who is now homeless.
At the very least we ask for prayers. If you can help in others ways there is a list that has been posted.
You all are known for your generosity and concern for others. If you can please help.
     Link here    Another one.

The pictures are compelling, but you can't capture the scope or depth of the devastation that goes on for miles and miles. Where you see one or two people who have
no place to sleep, brush their teeth, shower, watch TV, get a call out to families....there are thousands behind that one frame. The magnitude is hard to comprehend.
Times are hard for everyone job and economy wise. We know any gift of time, goods or funds is going to come from your need and not your want.
The state has pulled together and everyone is doing their best to help each other. This is bigger than what we have to manage with right now and will be for the months ahead.
It magnifies the level of gratitude we have for help from others. People are grateful for the smallest things.
We are grateful for you all !
AF

Two thirds of all the counties in AL have been declared disaster areas.  I have posted the latest info on page two for areas needing help. The damage and loss surpass the destruction of Katrina.

Also the Red Cross is the primary source of relief.
Harvest and Ft Payne and some of the outlying areas need food items.  They are still without power and will be until debris is cleared enough to get linemen through those areas.
If you are going to he helping please bring plenty of leather gloves, work boots with thick soles,  safety glasses :  nails and glass are major issues.Some of the relief centers need help sorting things being donated
or distributing items to people who have no means of getting them.

Most of the work is helping individuals clear property and recover personal items.  

And  most importantly there is no way to thank the people who immediately came into AL especially from AR15.com.  The members who live here stepped up in their areas and continue to help others.
Then there are members here who came in from out of state with supplies and strong backs. These guys asked for northing in return, and made a huge impact in the areas they went to. Some do not want to be mentioned.
But their efforts won't be forgotten and did not go unnoticed.
Thanks to all of you who have donated and helped.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for posting this. I will get permission from my sheriff to see what we can do for fund raising.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Friends.
We need can openers. A lot of people used electric one. :0(
Cat food
Dog Food
Baby wipes
Diapers
Canned formulas
Work gloves ( lots of nails and glass in the debris)
Safety Glasses
Hand sanitizer
Personal hygiene products
Baby powder
Rolls of plastic
Tarps
None nonperishable food items
Batteries ( all kinds but mostly C batteries)
Flashlights
Candles
Charcoal
Duct tape
Large trash bags.. this is to store the few items people still have.
Water
Dry ice.
TP
Small insulated lunch boxes to hold medications and diabetic supplies
battery operated radios ( with communications out including cell phone towers, radio is the ONLY means of getting information at this time)
Peroxide and other minor injury first aid supplies

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
so who can we help and how?  I can either donate some cash to someone here who needs it or to whatever scharity is doing the most and needs it over there.  Not much but as much as I can.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I had funds and the capability to come down and be helpful.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The best thing I can suggest is to contact the red cross. They have stations set up at the worst hit locations.

I've worked two different cities in the last 3 days, and they were at both.

Food is 100% covered. Everyone able to do so is feeding us hand over fist. Water is also good to go.

Honestly, I'm guessing that monetary donations to the red cross is your best bet, but I really don't know.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The best thing I can suggest is to contact the red cross.

American Red Cross will typically not accept walk-up volunteers.  They do want financial donations, in part to pay the salaries of the employees they hire to do what volunteers used to do.  Unless things have radically changed in the last few years they were a near-governmental grade bureaucracy and are typically very inflexible in the way they do things.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The people need to give to Alabama. I hate it when the federal Govt starts getting involved in recovery.

Alabama can take care of itself without the feds help.

I am praying for yall over there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

American Red Cross will typically not accept walk-up volunteers.  They do want financial donations, in part to pay the salaries of the employees they hire to do what volunteers used to do.  Unless things have radically changed in the last few years they were a near-governmental grade bureaucracy and are typically very inflexible in the way they do things.

Yea, the biggest problem is that we don't really need walk-up volunteers for the most part.

The biggest challenge that I have seen is that each area is autonomous, and has a flexible and fluid chain of command.

The police are doing police stuff, the FD is doing FD stuff, etc, etc.

It is impossible for a walk up volunteer to actually get assigned to do a task because there isn't anyone willing to take responsibility for them.

I worked for 12 hours in a very hard hit area today, and all we did was arrest people, and block traffic for Alabama power. There isn't much else that can be done once everyone is safe, the roads are clear, and things have settled.

You would really need to just show up in a neighborhood with a chainsaw and see who needs help, but then, I don't know if you are a 'good' guy or a 'bad' guy.

It basically a cluster fuck.

It took me 12 hours to figure out where to drop off blankets, toothbrushes, and other basic need items.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The people need to give to Alabama. I hate it when the federal Govt starts getting involved in recovery.

Ain't it the truth!

GTFO federal aid.

We got this shit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
so who can we help and how?  I can either donate some cash to someone here who needs it or to whatever scharity is doing the most and needs it over there.  Not much but as much as I can.

We are not going to count on a quick FEMA response.
The president made a side stop on his way to watch the Shuttle be launched.
Places where FEMA were supposed to be going house to house didn't happen. They have set up a hot line instead.

The Red Cross is here.
Money is going through the Red Cross.

Other donations can be dropped off or sent to some of the Churches. Our church communities have really stepped up.
Many of those are  listed in the links.  I will try to see if there is anyone else taking Cash Donations that 100% goes to the victims.

The Banks are down here due to power. Only some of them are opening so patrons can get cash and merchants are only accepting cash.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:16:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Prayers go out to the families who are going through total devastation.  I found out yesterday that 2 towns in my surrounding areas that were hit were actually hit with F4 tornadoes.  I didn't have any idea that the ones that hit here were that big.  I live in SE TN.  Apison TN and Ringgold GA both got hit with F4s and there is nothing left.

ETA:  For those who can't help with cash and who want to help victims in any of the states, especially if you live near where they hit, go through your closet and donate your clothes.  Something as simple as clean clothes can really make a difference to someone who has lost everything and only has what they were wearing when the storm hit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The best thing I can suggest is to contact the red cross. They have stations set up at the worst hit locations.

I've worked two different cities in the last 3 days, and they were at both.

Food is 100% covered. Everyone able to do so is feeding us hand over fist. Water is also good to go.

Honestly, I'm guessing that monetary donations to the red cross is your best bet, but I really don't know.

NOTE: We do need walk up Volunteers. Those are being coordinated through a 24 hour hot line the governor set up.
That number is 211. They know where the need is and can send you to the command centers in all areas of the state.  
There is also a 1-800 number.. I will post that as well for teams from out of State.
New Hope Langston  Cullman these places can't get enough help. Keep in mind a good many of the local first responders have injured or dead family member and no home.
I am seeing this over and over again.

I will post in this thread the donation centers and the Volunteer Command numbers.

Thanks for all your responses and I am glad to see some of our guys ok.
If you all have friends here or know any of these folks PLEASE ask them if you can contact anyone in their families of their employers to let these folks know their status.
Communication is very important right now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:29:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Alabama’s Statewide 2-1-1 Volunteer Call Center is a 24/7 volunteer and donations hotline that provides an opportunity for people to connect to available volunteer and donation options. By calling 2-1-1 (in the state of Alabama or toll free 1-888-421-1266) or visiting www.servealabama.gov , individuals can register to volunteer or provide a financial donation to the Governor’s Emergency Relief Fund.

All volunteers not affiliated with an organization should register with 2-1-1. Once registered, volunteers will receive notifications of volunteer opportunities across the state.

“In the coming days, weeks and months, volunteers will be needed across the state to help in the relief effort,” said Governor Robert Bentley. “The coordination of volunteers is the best way to serve effectively during time of disaster.”

·[span style='font-weight: bold;'] To Register to Volunteer call 2-1-1 (in-state) or[span style='text-decoration: underline;'][span style='font-weight: bold;'] 1-888-421-1266 (out-of-state) or via the website [span style='text-decoration: underline;']

LINK TO REGISTER VOLUNTEERS

100% of the proceeds from the governors fund will assist Victims  immediately.
We know it will get to the people who desperately need it the most.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:30:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Friends.
Cat food
Dog Food
Baby wipes
Diapers
Canned formulas
Safety Glasses
Hand sanitizer
Baby powder
Rolls of plastic
Tarps
Flashlights
Candles
Charcoal
Duct tape
Water
Dry ice.
TP
battery operated radios ( with communications out including cell phone towers, radio is the ONLY means of getting information at this time)

Reminds me of the wish lists that get passed around for deployed guys.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tag

You are one COOL little penguin!  And the NY Yankees donated 500K to assist.
You tell them thanks. So many people are so grateful!!!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Friends.
Cat food
Dog Food
Baby wipes
Diapers
Canned formulas
Safety Glasses
Hand sanitizer
Baby powder
Rolls of plastic
Tarps
Flashlights
Candles
Charcoal
Duct tape
Water
Dry ice.
TP

Reminds me of the wish lists that get passed around for deployed guys.

Exactly!

Headed to church and then going to try to get toward Langston.
My daughter is 16 today. She woke up knowing the birthday plans are off. She has been elbow to elbow getting water to folks and helping people go through what is left of their lives.
She said... Mom... sometimes the best gift is just making it to your next birthday then some tears. She lost a friend in Lawrence county.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:39:40 AM EDT
[#18]
EDIT:  Sorry Angelfire, I didn't see your post.  But just to repeat what she already has said:
There is a list of local charities, churches, businesses, you name it, that are looking for help.  Those of our membership that just live a state away would be most appreciated if you could lend a couple days of your time.
For a list of local organizations to help, please go here: http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/04/alabama_tornadoes_how_you_can.html
To call directly and find out what you can do: please call: 1-888-421-1266
We have a serious crisis shaping up here - there are many people who are in extremely dire shape.  They have nothing, no water, food, place to sleep, or medical attention.
The total dead count is continuing to rise - as we have a large number of people that are unaccounted for.  
If you are looking for an opportunity to help out your fellow man this is it.  If you've sat in front of the TV or Internet and thought about helping and never have done it.  This is your time to stand up and make a difference.  All is takes is a simple phone call to get started.   Please step up and help those that cannot help themselves.  Please understand that -everything- that many of these people have owned has been destroyed.  Any preparations that many people have made have been lost in the storm.
We really appreciate & thank those of you that have expressed sympathies, have donated time, money, clothes, food, supplies and/or efforts to help us pull this thing together.  You are what makes this country a great place to live.  
Thank you,

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:44:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I am going to quickly add...
It is very important that you register with the state office.  Some areas have Marshall Law enforced. The Command Centers need to know you are coming in to help and that can
be done by registering.  They get the word out to LEO.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I think this thread might need a red tack for a few days !
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, the biggest problem is that we don't really need walk-up volunteers for the most part.  

The biggest challenge that I have seen is that each area is autonomous, and has a flexible and fluid chain of command.

The police are doing police stuff, the FD is doing FD stuff, etc, etc.

It is impossible for a walk up volunteer to actually get assigned to do a task because there isn't anyone willing to take responsibility for them.

I worked for 12 hours in a very hard hit area today, and all we did was arrest people, and block traffic for Alabama power. There isn't much else that can be done once everyone is safe, the roads are clear, and things have settled.

You would really need to just show up in a neighborhood with a chainsaw and see who needs help, but then, I don't know if you are a 'good' guy or a 'bad' guy.

It basically a cluster fuck.

It took me 12 hours to figure out where to drop off blankets, toothbrushes, and other basic need items.

Bcauz3y. What you are doing IS important and much needed. These people are so vulnerable right now. Getting power back up is essential. Keeping sight seers out even more essential.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Tuscaloosa was hit extremely hard. The majority of the areas hit were low income and the projects.
Here is all contact info for home owners, volunteers and contractors.
If nothing else, prayers will be greatly appreciated.

Contractor city work, meeting at central high school noon (Sunday).

Free debris removal
205 248-5800

Volunteer hotline
205 248-5045

EMA
205 248-5040

Red Cross (Bowers Park)
205 256-3200
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#23]
FYI:
The Dollar Genreal sotres around me in southern Illinois are taking donations for the Red Cross. and it's not a tub you drop your bills into, they have a barcode tag they will scan that keeps track of the donations!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Over here in Ga they have started taking donations for people in Ga and Alabama who were hardest hit..........going to see what I can give to help out as well. I have family in Bama as well
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#25]
My family all lives in Tennessee, and I am trying to find out what they are doing along with the local churches. I imagine they are going to be sending some volunteers on down. I have been wanting to take a trip back home, we'll see how things work out. In the meantime, good luck Alabama and our thoughts are with you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Angel , IM inbound
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#27]
We were told in sacrament meeting this morning to prepare for "deployment" to Tuscaloosa on Friday. We are in North central Florida.
I am not sure exactly what our AO will be.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I wish I had known can openers were needed so badly before I went down.  I could've hit up the surplus store in Nashville and bought them out of P-38/51s.  They work very well in a pinch.  Any idea how I can still make this happen?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#29]
will donate to governors fund tomorrow.  Good luck guys.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#30]
OST for later.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We were told in sacrament meeting this morning to prepare for "deployment" to Tuscaloosa on Friday. We are in North central Florida.

If you do come to Tuscaloosa, I'll be in Rosedale Court area 6pm to 6am everyday. Ask about any  TPD officer where Roach is.
If I can't thank you in person.. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you do come to Tuscaloosa, I'll be in Rosedale Court area 6pm to 6am everyday. Ask about any  TPD officer where Roach is.
If I can't thank you in person.. Thank you.

Pm sent
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Assuming we will be coming through Montgomery, are there any "detours" or route issues we need to know about? We will be coming from Lake City.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Assuming we will be coming through Montgomery, are there any "detours" or route issues we need to know about? We will be coming from Lake City.

Interstates are clear, once you get in Ttown there's still lots of streets impassable. Someone will escort you to you AO.
I'll IM you my cell #.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Posted a link in the MO HT forum.

God Speed Alabama.

Thoughts and prayers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife is from russelville and has a number of friends in Phil
Campbell and Cullman that have been affected.

We are coordinating an effort from the Gulf Coast FL. We are collecting clothing, toiletries, and supplies.  The church that we belong to, Sarasota Christian Church is going to make a mission trip up there with the items. The wife is coordinating a partnership with a
church up there so we have a base out of which to operate and help.

If anyone in the Tampa Bay area has anything to donate, IM me and I will
fill you in. You can also email [email protected].

I will pass along the 211 info and such. We realize this is going to take a great deal of time for recovery. I sure hope
people won't forget these folks anytime soon.

Thanks to all that are helping and praying.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ain't it the truth!    

GTFO federal aid.

We got this shit.

So my buddy who just delivered a trailer load of MRE's under FEMA contract should just go back to his normal route, instead of hauling for FEMA?  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ain't it the truth!    

GTFO federal aid.

We got this shit.

So my buddy who just delivered a trailer load of MRE's under FEMA contract should just go back to his normal route, instead of hauling for FEMA?  

No.

My apologies. Please tell your buddy thank you.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Speak for yourself, Texas. That's what we pay taxes for.

I'm leaving with my cousin for Tuscaloosa in the morning to volunteer. I'm bringing two G19s and a truck bed full of donated clothes and supplies.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speak for yourself, Texas. That's what we pay taxes for.

I'm leaving with my cousin for Tuscaloosa in the morning to volunteer. I'm bringing two G19s and a truck bed full of donated clothes and supplies.

Alabamians fucking rock!

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Volunteer registration.

I am again amazed at the number of people who are coming to help.

If you are coming with supplies and are willing to volunteer to help in search and rescue or personal asset recovery please register at the above link.
They are directing folks to where the need is the greatest.

There isn't  a whole lot being done in the more rural areas. They just don't have the resources.

People are getting called back quickly. Langston Grant areas still have very little organized assistance. The closest towns are Guntersville and  New Hope.
Guntersville is back on the grid. New Hope has some signs of assistance but further into these smaller towns there just isn't a lot of help.

We cannot thank all of you enough for donations time and prayers.

AF
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry I am so far away, otherwise I'd go grab my F250, some friends and gear, and haul ass over there.  I donated to the Alabama Governors page, hopefully it will help ease things a bit.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ain't it the truth!    

GTFO federal aid.

We got this shit.

No.  

He's getting paid for it, but he says if he could afford the diesel and other expenses out of pocket, he'd do it for free.  He posted on a forum while waiting for the MRE's to get unloaded, then he's going to go pick up whatever FEMA wants him to haul in next.  He pointed out that part of what makes the situation so dire is that not only did people lose everything they had, and have power outages even if they didn't lose everything, but that they lost their cars, too, so don't have any way to get to someplace with supplies.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Alabama Governor's office donation page:
http://www.servealabama.gov/2010/2011%20Tornadoes/Response.aspx

Material Goods donations:
http://www.aidmatrixnetwork.org/fema/states.aspx?ST=Alabama

Salvation Army donations (under specific use, note April 2011 Tornado Outbreak):
https://secure20.salvationarmy.org/donation.jsp
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for this Moe , I'll be doing what I can come payday ( Im stuck in Iowa)
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks for this Moe , I'll be doing what I can come payday ( Im stuck in Iowa)

Thank Brion!!!
((((HUG)))))

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ain't it the truth!    

GTFO federal aid.

We got this shit.

No.  

He's getting paid for it, but he says if he could afford the diesel and other expenses out of pocket, he'd do it for free.  He posted on a forum while waiting for the MRE's to get unloaded, then he's going to go pick up whatever FEMA wants him to haul in next.  He pointed out that part of what makes the situation so dire is that not only did people lose everything they had, and have power outages even if they didn't lose everything, but that they lost their cars, too, so don't have any way to get to someplace with supplies.

Exactly and this is hampering the efforts to locate people who are still missing.
People coming in have to be cautious of NAILS in there tires.  There was a call put out for open tire stores.
SAMS has opened their tire shop up to assist with rescue efforts. You do not have to be a member.

Help is just now trickling into some of the more rural areas.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I spent part of the day with BeetleBailey handing out water & food to a lot of desperate people in bad shape.  I spent the latter half of the day helping a very poor family move from their storm destroyed house into another one.  It's really as bad as the images suggest and we were not in the worst of the areas by far.

Picture entire neighborhoods where the houses are torn in half, or are missing their roofs, or where cars are crushed into little metal balls, or where there are so many trees down you can't walk for all of the debris.

Thanks again to all of you that have donated money and time - on the surface all I can offer is my thanks, but to those that are receiving the benefits of your time, labor and money.. the help is incalculable.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I will add this here

I have worked Friday through today with my church, Church of the Highlands

Their site for the recovery work is here: http://churchofthehighlands.com/relief

We have been shipping almost constantly with water, food, personal hygiene items and baby supplies since I started on friday, both donated items and items the church purchased.

Contact anyone at the church if you have questions about how donations are handled.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Are there any arfcommers who need help?  I can drive up there with supplies and tools and spend a few days helping however I can.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top