Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2011 3:31:48 PM EDT
Local Wally World started selling long guns again, no handguns or "assault" rifles, just your average Fudd type stuff.  The store where I work should be fine since we carry everything from Fudd to NFA, used guns, and do lay away.

However after receiving reports from our customers I am now worried Wally World Gun counter maybe more Tier 1 than us.....

One customer waited 45 minutes and they still could not find a clerk who can run a 4473/NICS. Customer got pissed and left.

The clerk refused to sell a brick of .22s to a customer because it violated the "Stockpiling" law.  Apparently you can only buy so much ammo at one time, and you cannot have over 2,000 rds at your house without a special license. (Pure BS no law exsists in KS)

Wally World is using the E-4473 where the customer fills out the form on the computer, BUT then the clerk has them also fill out a paper 4473 to "cover all the bases".

The sad thing is many people will believe everything they hear at Wally World...

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

The clerk refused to sell a brick of .22s to a customer because it violated the "Stockpiling" law.  Apparently you can only buy so much ammo at one time, and you cannot have over 2,000 rds at your house without a special license.

And people think that NY sucks when it comes to gun laws. I'd be heading to prison for a long time if I moved to KS.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Wally sells Mini-14s, and have a big catalog they can order a bunch of guns not usually stocked for you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The clerk refused to sell a brick of .22s to a customer because it violated the "Stockpiling" law.  Apparently you can only buy so much ammo at one time, and you cannot have over 2,000 rds at your house without a special license.

And people think that NY sucks when it comes to gun laws. I'd be heading to prison for a long time if I moved to KS.

That was an example of stupid Walmart employee making up BS.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to hear it was just his imagination.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to hear it was just his imagination.

Sorry about the confusion, I edited my op to show that it was just bull the clerk was spewing

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The sad thing is many people will believe everything they hear at Wally World...  

Sadly, I've heard this and "Oklahoma City doesn't let you buy ammo after 10pm" a few times, too. Usually it only takes a quick talk to management to get my late-nite ammo fix.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been to 4 Wal Marts in this area and it seems like without fail that the people working at the sports counter are either incredibly slow or don't know what they are doing or a combination of the two.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Local Wally World started selling long guns again, no handguns or "assault" rifles, just your average Fudd type stuff.  

There are Fudds.  There are guns that Fudds use.  But there are no Fudd guns.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Last time I tried buying 9mm ammo at our local Failmart the operator behind the counter told me I had to pay for it there. This is after behaving very nervous giving me 300 rounds. Told him I never have had to do that before and do not want to make 2 transactions. "Well, uh, its a new policy." "Well, uh, I'll buy my ammo online from now on."
Him=
Me=
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Any truth to the rumor that Walmart sells lower quality models that are made especially by the manufacturers for sale only to Walmar?. Cheaper components, plastic parts instead of metal, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Any truth to the rumor that Walmart sells lower quality models that are made especially by the manufacturers for sale only to Walmar?. Cheaper components, plastic parts instead of metal, etc.
I don't believe so, but there are Walmart exclusive 10/22s that I know of, longer barrel.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Local Wally World started selling long guns again, no handguns or "assault" rifles, just your average Fudd type stuff.  The store where I work should be fine since we carry everything from Fudd to NFA, used guns, and do lay away.

They won't be getting any of my money. The few Fudd guns at my house will probally last a few generations.

Now if they start selling NFA at discount prices......
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I read an email from Savage that said they DO NOT sell special models to Failmart.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They won't be getting any of my money. The few Fudd guns at my house will probally last a few generations.

Now if they start selling NFA at discount prices......

So you are willing to pay a $200 transfer fee on a Chinese made $100 .30 can, and also trust the Wally World trained chimp to do the paperwork....

BTW: No soup for you, you are banned from our store for 3 months!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall stories of manufacturers making "walmart specials".

Not guns specifically, but other items, like bicycles and golf clubs.

My local walmart started selling firearms again...a few hunting rifles, shotguns, and 10/22's... next time I'm there, I'll check model numbers to see if they're different than a real gun stores stock.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I just bought a mossberg 702 from our Walmart.. I was the first firearms transaction since they started carring them again.. It was easy and the E 4473 was pretty easy.. I did have 3 managers and 5 associate helping me.. I asked one of the managers if the man hours were going to be more then the $117.96 sale.. He said the training was priceless.. I also bought 5 federal 550 packs at the same time.. They sold me all 5 with out a word.. guess I got lucky..By the way Mossberg 702 is a fine little plinker and will be my Appleseed rifle next month with the addition of some Tech Sights..
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

There was a thread earlier today, where a guy said that Ruger 10/22s sold at Walmart had plastic trigger assembly's. That could be on all new 10/22s and not just the ones sold at Walmart though. But my opinion is that gun makers are not going to increase the chance of being sued by making cheaper, and therefore less safe guns just so they can sell them at Walmart.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Clerk at our local Wal-Mart told me they were going to start selling long guns again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

However after receiving reports from our customers I am now worried Wally World Gun counter maybe more Tier 1 than us.....

One customer waited 45 minutes and they still could not find a clerk who can run a 4473/NICS. Customer got pissed and left.

The clerk refused to sell a brick of .22s to a customer because it violated the "Stockpiling" law.  Apparently you can only buy so much ammo at one time, and you cannot have over 2,000 rds at your house without a special license. (Pure BS no law exsists in KS)

Wally World is using the E-4473 where the customer fills out the form on the computer, BUT then the clerk has them also fill out a paper 4473 to "cover all the bases".

What store was this?

You should email corporate/GM of the store and let them know what is going on.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Clerk at our local Wal-Mart told me they were going to start selling long guns again.

Walmart is increasing the number of products in their stores to fight declining sales.

Their prior top guy was cutting down on the number of products in the stores to focus on higher margin items, that backfired on them.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What store was this?

You should email corporate/GM of the store and let them know what is going on.

Never interrupt an enemy when they are about to make a mistake...

As in I don't believe in helping my competition...

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to buy 9mm there since it was way cheaper than anywhere else and it's on the way to the range.  I quit because literally every time I try to buy ammo at that place I have to first hunt down an employee and ask them to find someone to get me ammo from behind the counter.  That person usually calls someone who never shows up, so then I track down another person who calls someone else, etc, all the while acting like they're doing me a huge favor.  It's typically a 15 minute wait just to get a couple freaking boxes of ammo.  I decided it wasn't worth it to save a buck or two a box.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No, absolutely not.  They get the guns from the same distributors that other stores do.  It was Davidsons at one thime and may be the RSR group now.  They do carry special models in the same sense that the Talo guns are offered.  The 22" 10/22 stainless is only offered by Wal-Mart.

Even if they asked for second quality no maker is going to risk the chance of putting out a shabby product and being sued.  Also, why would they alter their already established mass production process?  They already sell the base model guns.  There is no reason to go cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Wish this was the Leavenworth one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a thread earlier today, where a guy said that Ruger 10/22s sold at Walmart had plastic trigger assembly's. That could be on all new 10/22s and not just the ones sold at Walmart though. But my opinion is that gun makers are not going to increase the chance of being sued by making cheaper, and therefore less safe guns just so they can sell them at Walmart.

They are all plastic now.  The one I got from my local FFL was ordered from Davidsons and it has the plastic trigger guard.  The barrel bands are plastic too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, they just remodeled my local walmart's gun counter and put in two displays for long guns.  Some good prices, but i will continue to support my local gunshop.

That said, they are upping their game a bit.  They are carrying holsters now, more scopes, bi-pods, lasers, etc.  All cheap stuff, but there none the less.

They also have been carrying quite a bit more ammo lately. Been selling 100rd bulk-packs of .223 for $39   If they would just sell Hornady i would be happy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#28]
The local Wally World, which hasn't sold guns for the last five or six years, is suddenly back to selling guns again. I asked the drone at the counter what the hell happened and he said it came down from corporate. Only rifles and shotguns but he said I could order anything.

Yes, Wally World does buy whole runs that are unique to them. I have a Fausti O/U the wife bought for me that isn't in their standard line.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#29]
For those just getting guns back, it's handy to have this: Wal-Mart Special Order Gun Catalog
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I used to buy 9mm there since it was way cheaper than anywhere else and it's on the way to the range.  I quit because literally every time I try to buy ammo at that place I have to first hunt down an employee and ask them to find someone to get me ammo from behind the counter.  That person usually calls someone who never shows up, so then I track down another person who calls someone else, etc, all the while acting like they're doing me a huge favor.  It's typically a 15 minute wait just to get a couple freaking boxes of ammo.  I decided it wasn't worth it to save a buck or two a box.  

Here's my WINNING strategy: pick up the phone at the sporting goods desk, punch in the current code for the intercom, and say, "Attention Walmart shoppers, I am at the SPORTING GOODS DESK and I have a special announcement: I like big butts and I can not lie, you other brothers can't deny, etct...". Works pretty well.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For those just getting guns back, it's handy to have this: Wal-Mart Special Order Gun Catalog

Good post. Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#32]
The only Wal-Mart firearms dept story I have is about some of their stores putting a limit on how many boxes of ammo you can buy at a time.  The story behind it had to do with gun stores going in and buying them out only to resale it at a higher price due to Wal-Mart undercutting local gun stores.  Hell I don't know if there is any truth to it since I have found Dance's Sporting Goods near my house to be cheaper frequently on .357mag compared to WalMart.

But back on track, I went in one night a picked up 15 boxes of Olin/Winchester 00 Buck (5 rd boxes).  The guy running the counter told me about their policy but said he'd ring me up anyways it was about the same as buying the the bulk Federal boxes for skeet loads and the he thought it was kind of a bullshit policy anyways.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see that this confusion has been cleared up by by the OP. The clerk was full of it. At Wally World here they have pallets of shotgun shells stacked in the aisles. That's right; they bring it in with forklifts. Oftentimes there will be four pallets in the aisle. That does not include the ammo on the shelves. And people fill up shopping carts if they so desire.

They have .22 ammo at the check out aisles like other places have candy bars and gum. I could pick up thousands of rounds at check out and no one would blink.

There is at least another store nearby that has .22 stocked by the case. Grab as many cases as you want. No problem. I've purchased two cases of .22 and carried it wheeled it out without anything more than a smile and a thank you.

At the Wichita airport there is a sign on the luggage carousel directing travelers where to pick up their guns. A lot of people fly in to hunt, so that speeds things up for them.

When I am outside in the yard, I usually hear gun shots a couple of times a week. Two of my neighbors shoot on their property. I have a range at my house. Lots of other people shoot too.

KS is generally, outside of the liberal enclaves, a very gun-friendly state.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I went to walmart last week. They had a tone of 9mm and .40. I asked for 4 of each.

The person behind the counter explained that I was limited to 6 boxes only. I said why. He explained that it's store policy.

I said I'll put this in my car and be right back. He said not if I am here

So I said, Fine, I'll just take my business to the other 3 local walmarts.

he was like

Fuck walmart.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The 10/22 I bought last year from a regular FFL had a plastic trigger assembly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#36]
once the wally world clerks graduate, they go work at gander mountain
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well they already have the incompetent employees part figured out at that store, just need the firearms part again I guess.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
once the wally world clerks graduate, they go work at gander mountain

Our local WM has never stopped selling long guns and I haven't had any trouble buying as many boxes of ammo as I have wanted.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This rumor was spread by gun stores when they got underpriced by Wally World on the Rem 700s. I've personally spoken with mfgrs at NRA conventions & they actually laughed when I asked them this. Very rarely does a mfgr ship direct to a retailer & skip the distributor, thus the mfgr has NO control (usually) over which store gets which gun(s).
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well they already have the incompetent employees part figured out at that store, just need the firearms part again I guess.

True. I almost broke out in to a 45° blade at the stupidity today. Going there is very painful at times. It really seems like the blind lead the blind in that store.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Our WM just put the gun counter back in and they've got it staffed with some pretty knowledgeable guys. Haven't heard any BS yet, nor have they ever refused to sell me anything in the ammo cabinet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Very cool, but how do I get prices?

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I had to do with part of the reason WalMart stopped selling handguns in our region (if not everywhere) 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#44]
China Mart up here has handguns, rifles no black rifles though.
This time of year, you cant walk by the counter without seeing someone or a group filling out fishing license forms.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the 10-22FS i bought from my dealer has a plastic assembly.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know if it's just Texas, but buying a hunting or fishing license at walmart SUCKS.

Even on the first day of dove season... one license at a time.  And the process takes about 20 times longer than it should.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Last time I tried buying 9mm ammo at our local Failmart the operator behind the counter told me I had to pay for it there. This is after behaving very nervous giving me 300 rounds. Told him I never have had to do that before and do not want to make 2 transactions. "Well, uh, its a new policy." "Well, uh, I'll buy my ammo online from now on."
Him=
Me=

Back in '07 I asked a cashier how many rounds of .45 Blazer Brass he had. He said 22 and I said "I'll take them" as I just got a Kimber. His jaw dropped and he said "I'll see if the manager will get a better price for you". It didn't happen but I was still happy he asked and didn't give me grief.

I also once asked for some 7.62x39 and the girl had no idea. One I pointed her to it she then proceeded to ask all kinds of questions about what stuff meant. She said she just got sent there and wanted to do a good job. I was impressed.

Not all employees are retards.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Him=
Me=

Back in '07 I asked a cashier how many rounds of .45 Blazer Brass he had. He said 22 and I said "I'll take them" as I just got a Kimber. His jaw dropped and he said "I'll see if the manager will get a better price for you". It didn't happen but I was still happy he asked and didn't give me grief.

They sold you all 22 rounds they had of Blazer Brass!

That was alot!

Just kidding!

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Good to know the derp is still strong with them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had to do with part of the reason WalMart stopped selling handguns in our region (if not everywhere) 20 years ago.

This sounds like an interesting story.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top